Wiki Posts
Search

The ultimate UPGRADE thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jamesmax
What are the definitive 'top 5' things to do to increase your chances?
Err, that's kinda the point of this entire thread...it's all in there And for every 'sure fire top 5', there's a 'sure fire exception' to contradict it...
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:07 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
What are the definitive 'top 5' things to do to increase your chances?
Carry a Mont Blanc pen
Old Apr 18, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Carry a Mont Blanc pen
And I thought it was do everything that the Daily Mail article said
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=35
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Fraser
And I thought it was do everything that the Daily Mail article said
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=35
ha ha, so basically if you ask you don't get?
Old Apr 19, 2006, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Carry a Mont Blanc pen
aha - i knew all along i was missing some vital ingredient
Old Apr 19, 2006, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold/ Hilton Gold/ SPG Gold/ PriorityClub Platinum /Marriot Gold/ Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chatawy
SM= Special Meal. Say you've requested a FP fruit platter meal in WT/WT+, and they need people to upgrade to CLUB- then you wouldn't even be considered as they wouldn't have a FP meal onboard for CW and it is against policy to serve a WT/WT+ meal in a CLUB cabin.
Except during the catering fiasco when it suited BA that is!!!
Old Apr 19, 2006, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
ha ha, so basically if you ask you don't get?
Indeed. I'd actually say it'd negatively impact your chances of getting upgraded by mentioning it!
Old May 1, 2006, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Upgrades and SM

SM= Special Meal. Say you've requested a FP fruit platter meal in WT/WT+, and they need people to upgrade to CLUB- then you wouldn't even be considered as they wouldn't have a FP meal onboard for CW and it is against policy to serve a WT/WT+ meal in a CLUB cabin.
I was recently upgraded from CW to F in the BA lounge. I had an SM on board for me in CW. The purser explained the situation and gave me the choice of the CW SM or choosing from the F menu. No big deal, very simple.
Old May 1, 2006, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by catandmouse
I was recently upgraded from CW to F in the BA lounge. I had an SM on board for me in CW. The purser explained the situation and gave me the choice of the CW SM or choosing from the F menu. No big deal, very simple.
Welcome to Flyertalk, and the BA forum.

Your u/g is interesting, and bucks a widely held belief that special meals go to the bottom of the pile in u/g stakes. Do you have status with BA or OW?
Old May 2, 2006, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by The Saint

Your u/g is interesting, and bucks a widely held belief that special meals go to the bottom of the pile in u/g stakes. Do you have status with BA or OW?
Yeah Club to First is fine, because they can dish out the Club meal onto a first plate and it would go unnoticed. The problem is from WT/WT+ to Club- because normally there is no way that a tin foiled WT meal would be served in Club.

So a special meal request does mean that an upgrade is highly unlikely, but not from J-F.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:06 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
So a special meal request does mean that an upgrade is highly unlikely, but not from J-F.
Seriously: Given are two pax, both in J, both same highest status in this cabin, both travelling alone. One has a special meal requested, the other one not.

Am I the only one thinking that it is more likely that the guy with no special meal will get the upgrade? Less hazzle, less to think about, no problem.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:29 am

[QUOTE=nixande]Seriously: Given are two pax, both in J, both same highest status in this cabin, both travelling alone. One has a special meal requested, the other one not.

Am I the only one thinking that it is more likely that the guy with no special meal will get the upgrade? Less hazzle, less to think about, no problem. [/QUOTE

No, because from J-F its not really that big of an issue. Bear in mind another factor that comes into play is the fare basis.

If one pax is on a highly discounted fare- and the other passenger (who has a special meal) full fare J then on paper the latter should get the upgrade, even though he/she has the special meal.
Old May 2, 2006, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by The Saint

Thanks for the welcome. I am Emerald in BA. I haven't been upgraded very often from CW to F, but within Europe I usually fly Economy and there upgrades to the front occur from time to time. My theory is that the meal doesn't count but it's the status that counts and how full/overbooked the flight is. I've even been upgraded once with my wife who has no status with BA!
Old May 5, 2006, 7:38 am

[QUOTE=chatawy]
Originally Posted by nixande
Seriously: Given are two pax, both in J, both same highest status in this cabin, both travelling alone. One has a special meal requested, the other one not.

Am I the only one thinking that it is more likely that the guy with no special meal will get the upgrade? Less hazzle, less to think about, no problem. [/QUOTE

No, because from J-F its not really that big of an issue. Bear in mind another factor that comes into play is the fare basis.

If one pax is on a highly discounted fare- and the other passenger (who has a special meal) full fare J then on paper the latter should get the upgrade, even though he/she has the special meal.
Given that many people have special meals for religious reasons, is this legal? I know that there's no obligation for an airline to ever give anyone an upgrade they haven't paid for, but even so..
Old May 5, 2006, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
[QUOTE=Energizer]

Given that many people have special meals for religious reasons, is this legal? I know that there's no obligation for an airline to ever give anyone an upgrade they haven't paid for, but even so..
Sigh. Do I hear the words 'class action' on the breeze...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.