Wiki Posts
Search

web purchase from USA question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
web purchase from USA question

I just bought a LHR-GVA ticket from the web site with my US based Visa card. While the ticket was being processed on screen I noticed it said that only credit cards issued in country of departure (UK) would be accepted. But then the ticket was purchased and I got a PNR. Question - when I go to LHR and check in with my credit card, will I have any problems? Has anyone ever done this before?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Funnily enough, you're the second person to report having successfully done this.

It looks increasingly like the much-vaunted website improvement to allow credit cards from outside the country of departure is live and working, although unadvertised as yet.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

I see, thanks. but my question remains if i will have any problems getting the ticket and getting on board at LHR?
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:01 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
I see, thanks. but my question remains if i will have any problems getting the ticket and getting on board at LHR?
As long as the [e-]Ticket has been issued, you shouldn't have any problems. If you want to be really sure, just give BA a quick call and ask them to provide you with a Ticket/e-Ticket number for that PNR.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Enter the PNR into www.checkmytrip.com, and you can find the eticket number there, and validate that the status is confirmed.

I wouldn't expect any problems ...

You can always check in a couple of days to verify that the charge shows up on your credit card.

If the charge goes through, I can't see why there'd be a problem.

I'm encouraged to see that this is finally working. I've been purchasing ex-LHR tickets via Expedia, and they don't always have all of the same fares available on ba.com.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I don't think there are any reports of anyone having successfully used such a ticket, so there are no guarantees, but I wouldn't have thought that you'd have any problems, for two reasons.

First, if BA have issued you a ticket (incl an e-ticket) and taken payment for it, they would have a hard time legally if they were to refuse you carriage on the ground that they themselves should not have accepted your credit card in the first place.

Second, BA have publicly said that they want to be able to start accepting credit cards issued in countries other than that of the originating point. This seems to be an implementation of that improvement, although it's as yet unadvertised. Given that this is unlikely to be an error, but rather a planned and announced move, it seems unlikely that they would then turn round and refuse you carriage on that ground.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Globaliser - but do you know any cases where people were denied boarding? or just no cases of this at all?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 6:58 pm

Has BA advertised when they will "officially" allow this on their website? It's really annoying to have to call up and make the booking for flights wholly out of the US.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

well according to my recent accidental experience, you can just use the site with a US credit card now. I'll know on Sept 16 if there are any problems, but the ticket shows as valid on my exec club account and at view trip. since i'm a bit of anervous traveler, i want to call ba and ask if the ticket will be honored with a us credit card, but i don't want to call too much attention to it.

when i get to LHR, will i be able to check in at a machine with my exec club card, or just with credit card?
Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you do have any problems (I am not expecting any), please do post your experience. My flights are later than yours.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:27 pm
norodnik

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If you do have any problems (I am not expecting any), please do post your experience. My flights are later than yours.
I am off to Lisbon today on BA500 (currently 5.25am in the UK- ugggg), and then come back on 501 on the start of another LIS-SFO run.

I purchased this ticket yesterday (LIS-LHR-SFO-LHR-LIS) on the internet and used my Amex card and just gave my home address.

Everything works just fine. I have the e-ticket, the receipt, and I have even checked in online and printed my BP for the 501. (just in case you are wondering the BA500 trip is a one way ticket ex-uk)

If I am denied boarding in Lisbon, I'll let youknow but I don't think there are any problems with doing this now!

Old Aug 29, 2004, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, NetJets Card
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
well according to my recent accidental experience, you can just use the site with a US credit card now. I'll know on Sept 16 if there are any problems, but the ticket shows as valid on my exec club account and at view trip. since i'm a bit of anervous traveler, i want to call ba and ask if the ticket will be honored with a us credit card, but i don't want to call too much attention to it.

when i get to LHR, will i be able to check in at a machine with my exec club card, or just with credit card?
I've purchased LIS tickets my myself and my wife with my AmEx card with a UK address without a problem. The trip is already over (except for the last leg), and we had no problems. You just have to bring the card at check-in, since they need to verify at that time. The machines didn't work for us at least.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:07 am
norodnik

Originally Posted by christianh
I've purchased LIS tickets my myself and my wife with my AmEx card with a UK address without a problem. The trip is already over (except for the last leg), and we had no problems. You just have to bring the card at check-in, since they need to verify at that time. The machines didn't work for us at least.
Just back. I didn't have to see a member of BA at all. Booked my ex-Lis flights in the UK and paid online. Did an OLCI and then printed my own boarding pass.

Only issue was that some of the security folks in Lisbon didn't think my home printed BP was a real one.

Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

thanks norodnik!
for christian, since you have a UK address to use and I don't, yours is a different problem than the one i inquired about ....... but thanks anyway!
Old Aug 29, 2004, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
How do you put in your home address when the country is already pre-completed to be that of the country of departure and cannot be changed ? Do you simply put in all other relevant address details and then leave it with the incorrect country ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.