Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Water, water everywhere but...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2003, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pucci,

Even if the water were distilled (although I am quite sure that my definition of distillation is much different than what you are referring to) tanks on a/c, even BA a/c are very rarely if ever cleaned. Not so long ago there was a study published here on FT which referred to the high incidence of e coli and all sorts of other fun stuff found in a/c water tanks. I myself have been told by several BA CSD's that the water is barely potable and that BA one of the main reasons that BA once again allowed the onloading of beverages for short haul at foreign destinations after suspending the practice in September 2001 was due to the liability that BA was courting by serving tank water.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
Pucci,

Even if the water were distilled (although I am quite sure that my definition of distillation is much different than what you are referring to) tanks on a/c, even BA a/c are very rarely if ever cleaned. Not so long ago there was a study published here on FT which referred to the high incidence of e coli and all sorts of other fun stuff found in a/c water tanks. I myself have been told by several BA CSD's that the water is barely potable and that BA one of the main reasons that BA once again allowed the onloading of beverages for short haul at foreign destinations after suspending the practice in September 2001 was due to the liability that BA was courting by serving tank water.
</font>
I too always thought it was the same water system as in the loo's. There are plenty of tests that made clear that this "distilled" water was not even close to distilled and was usually just tap water with a few distilling chlorine tabs chucked in, certainly not something I'd like to drink.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Yes, I drink tap water all the time on the ground and generally think that bottled water is one of the biggest marketing scams ever. However, about six months ago the Wall Street Journal did an investigative report on in-flight "tap" water and the results of their lab tests were horrifying.

(I do not remember whether BA was one of the airlines whose water was tested, but the results were scary across the board.)
Old Sep 21, 2003, 4:06 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Sorry Boys but there is a difference here between Short and Long haul. Short haul and long haul (I don't think that there ever were water fountains on Short haul) both serve bottled water in the galley and of course in the cabin from the trolley.

I understand that the water in London had to be distilled in order to avoid any kind of build up from the very hard water in London. I understand furthermore that it has to be chlorinated which is why the taste is morelike tap water. You are probably right about the risks, but I have to add that I have not known of any problems with the water (but then what I have heard of and what has happened are not the same thing). I for one am always suspicious of stuff such as ice cream and mayonnaise or salad anything picked up our of the west. I have a pretty strong stomach, but and I offer this for what this is worth, I am not present in the kitchens and only see the end result.

All meals that are not thoroughly cooked can harbour all sorts of nasties. Again, for what it is worth, I too would not drink fountain water and nor do the crew, but that is not safety it is taste.

Finally, BA did of course fly the DC10 when it acquired them along with the A320s from BCAL. I loved the DC10, and was sorry to move away from them. I loathe the 777 in comparison. Condensation was a particular problem on the 707 when it gushed through into First as the aircraft descended.

[This message has been edited by PUCCI GALORE (edited 09-21-2003).]
Old Sep 21, 2003, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pucci,

For a six month period BA shorthaul did not load water or beverages from outstations, drinking water was served from the "tanks" the same water that is used for tea/coffee, etc.

The bigggest problem is that even if the water were the purest on earth when loaded in London, other stations are NOT dependable, with tanks cleaned rarely if ever, all sorts of stuff mutliplies in the tanks. (and I have to say Pucci, that several of your CSD colleagues at BA as well as other carriers have informed me or confirmed these facts repeatedly over the years)
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:20 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
I for one do not drink any beverage on any airline on any flight (domestic or international) that is not obviously poured from a previously closed pre-boarded container.

Thus I do not drink coffee or tea prepared on board. Bottled water, soft drinks, fruit juices, beer and wine are my only beverages enroute. On morning flights I bring my coffee aboard. On overnight flights I simply suffer until I get landside coffee.

[This message has been edited by kappa (edited 09-21-2003).]
Old Sep 22, 2003, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ready2Go:
Yes, I drink tap water all the time on the ground and generally think that bottled water is one of the biggest marketing scams ever. However, about six months ago the Wall Street Journal did an investigative report on in-flight "tap" water and the results of their lab tests were horrifying.

(I do not remember whether BA was one of the airlines whose water was tested, but the results were scary across the board.)
</font>
The WSJ article was inspired by water tests performed by the teenage son of a FlyerTalker (Letiole) for a school science project and, IIRC, the WSJ quoted him extensively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.