EC: Cannot change seats?

Old Sep 19, 03, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

EC: Cannot change seats?

I just called the EC to try and score upper deck seats on a SFO-LHR flight next year.

I was told that I had been pre-assigned 14A/B and that it could only be changed at the airport on the day of flight.

Is this something new?

14A/B are right behind the lavs and seem to be, ahem, among the worst of the lot.
Old Sep 19, 03, 11:53 am

Programs: BA - Gold, BD - Gold, SPG - Gold, HH - Gold
Call again, speak to a different agent and they'll probably change your seat.
Old Sep 19, 03, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I am a Blue and managed to change my pre-assigned seats of 13A both ways on LHR-IAD to the upper deck, availability was limited though as only aisle seats were available on the UD.

I suggest phoning up the EC again
Old Sep 20, 03, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; VA Plat; AccorPlus Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:
I just called the EC to try and score upper deck seats on a SFO-LHR flight next year.

I was told that I had been pre-assigned 14A/B and that it could only be changed at the airport on the day of flight.

Is this something new?

14A/B are right behind the lavs and seem to be, ahem, among the worst of the lot.
</font>
Look up your itin on www.checkmytrip.com and click on the seat numbers to get a seatmap. If you cannot see one it means all the pre-allocated seats have gone and you truly cannot change seats and will have to wait for OLCI. If you can see the map, pick the new seat you'd like and phone them up asking specifically for it.

Always works for me.

- Simon
Old Sep 20, 03, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Hmmm..... Not sure about this. At the end of June, I booked two NCW award tickets LHR-JFK, for travel in October.

They would only offer me seats on the main deck, even though checkmytrip.com showed stacks of availability on the upper deck.

Enquired at the ticket desk at T1 gate 5 late July & was told there were no seats they could allocate on the upper deck - the only pair of seats being what we had.

checkmytrip still shows a pair on the upper deck, so i've now called them again (EC) to ask for a reassignment. The rep said he'd pass a message to the seating department (?) and see what could be done. Should get an update Monday or Tuesday. Interestingly, now checkmytrip shows no available window-aisle pairs on the main deck, and one pair available on the upper deck.

Old Sep 20, 03, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"I was told that I had been pre-assigned 14A/B and that it could only be changed at the airport on the day of flight."

14 A/B are the best onboard, don't change them. Being right at the back of the cabin, the person at the window can walk round the back of 14B to get out without risking waking them up. 14A is the one I specifically ask for when trying to pre-select in CW

Dave
Old Sep 20, 03, 3:40 pm

You can also change the seats on-line 24 hours before departure.
https://www.britishairways.com/check.../&dpEntry=true
Old Sep 20, 03, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
14 A/B are the best onboard, don't change them. Being right at the back of the cabin, the person at the window can walk round the back of 14B to get out without risking waking them up. 14A is the one I specifically ask for when trying to pre-select in CW</font>
Dave, thenks for that suggestion. I checked the seatmaps again and you are right. I could have sworn that when I looked at them yesterday they were at the front of the cabin. I think I'll leave them as assigned.
Old Sep 21, 03, 6:44 am

Read here:

http://www.seatexpert.com/BA747_70.HTML

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum15/HTML/003649.html
Old Sep 22, 03, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Update on earlier post - they've just switched us from 20AB to the upper deck.

Third time of asking, but I guess we got there in the end!

Thanks all

Tony

Search this Thread