Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are BA planning to stop free water in ET?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 4:23 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by bisonrav
The fish and chips snacks (which have nothing to do with fish and a lot to do with vinegar) are actually quite nice. But they don't half make you thirsty.
Good job there is free water to slake that thirst
londonba2014 likes this.

Last edited by JapesUK; May 2, 2024 at 11:00 pm
Old May 2, 2024, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Water has been provided as normal on all my recent flights, though on the LGW EuroFlyer they replaced the mini bottle with an even small plastic cup and when I asked for a refill later in the flight (when they came around to collect rubbish) I was told sorry there's none left!
Sounds like "Hard Cheese" or " Pound Sand" (quoting Mr. Grainger - AYBS?)
Old May 2, 2024, 8:44 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Out of interest what do another European airlines offer complementary within Europe?
AF and KL still serve a sandwich (plus biscuit on longer flights) with full bar service (excluding spirits).
Old May 2, 2024, 10:46 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Greenpen
We are savannah apes and carefully designed by Darwin to go without water for periods of time. Yet whenever you read about beauty, travel and health in papers or articles they insist you need to drink two litres a day! Poppycock!
I don’t think you really got the point of Darwin’s theory of evolution, but OK…
Old May 3, 2024, 12:17 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
I am not one for water ( unless it is an ingredient in an alcoholic beverage), however, if they get rid of the bottles, they still have the cups ( which are not always provided at the moment to my recollection) plus all the waste generated from passengers buying (probably larger) bottles in DF....swings and roundabouts.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Out of interest what do another European airlines offer complementary within Europe?
Aegean (A3) still offer hot food and a bar service. If BA were really aspiring to be premium they should spend some time flying A3.
BravoKilo and Tafflyer like this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; May 3, 2024 at 1:58 am
Old May 3, 2024, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I assume you have some sort of qualifications to make this assumption? Some basic research will tell you that most adults benefit greatly (even require) around 3-4 litres of water a day. The health benefits are clear and well documented. It's not a case of having a "swig every few minutes" but more a case of making sure you are always hydrated.
I assume you have some sort of qualifications to make this assertion and can quote this alleged "basic research"? There was some research which referred to taking in two litres of fluid per day, but most people quoting the survey miss out a very important qualifier, which is "most of which will be taken in through their food". And fluid includes all other drinks too. Some people incorrectly say "tea/coffee/soft drinks/alcohol are diuretic and don't count", which is nonsense. They count a little less than water, but they are not to be ignored.

When I was in primary school there was no constant swigging from water bottles, we drank at break time which was up to an hour and a half apart, and nobody died of dehydration.

To the wider point, I think it is generally known that free-flowing water is not carried on a lot of planes and that it is wise that a bottle should be purchased/filled before boarding.
strowger, SteveF and BravoKilo like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by stifle
I assume you have some sort of qualifications to make this assertion and can quote this alleged "basic research"? There was some research which referred to taking in two litres of fluid per day, but most people quoting the survey miss out a very important qualifier, which is "most of which will be taken in through their food". And fluid includes all other drinks too. Some people incorrectly say "tea/coffee/soft drinks/alcohol are diuretic and don't count", which is nonsense. They count a little less than water, but they are not to be ignored.

When I was in primary school there was no constant swigging from water bottles, we drank at break time which was up to an hour and a half apart, and nobody died of dehydration.

To the wider point, I think it is generally known that free-flowing water is not carried on a lot of planes and that it is wise that a bottle should be purchased/filled before boarding.
Nobody here is suggesting that drinking less than the recommended amount is going to cause death from dehydration.

If you have a look at the recommendations from the NHS, Mayo Clinic, NIH, as well as a plethora of other outlets and health-related publications you will see the 'basic' research. There are also the reasons as posted in this thread from others.

YMMV.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:29 am
D1L

Originally Posted by c1223
Not 100% sure on the environmental impact but surely a carton or a can of water is better for everyone?

All the rubbish seems to go in one bag so I assume there isn't space onboard to recycle?
Indeed. Although ultimately, what would be even better, is customers purchasing what they want from the airport the High Life Cafe or bringing onboard their own - rather than just taking the tiny water bottles for the sake of it.

I know for some reason on this forum, an all BOB service is feared upon. But if a cup of water and a tiny biscuit is the reason you fly BA vs any other airline, then I'm extremely baffled that you can be so easily satisfied.

If the water and tiny biscuit et al was removed, it would allow space for a more consistent BOB offering that im sure many would appreciate of getting tha chance of having something more substantial. The space, weight and waste from this so called "complimentary service" is simply wasteful.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Handing out tiny cups of water and minuscule snacks only makes BA look cheap and penny-pinching. I'd prefer they got rid of the service completely on short-haul flights, and focused on making the Eurotraveller experience as good as it can be - including a consistent BOB offering that matches the promises made in the marketing guff and doesn't run out by row 11.

No-one expects free water and snacks on a train, no matter how long the journey, and passengers will soon get used to not having them on BA either.
D1L, csycsycsy and DXB2745 like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:14 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
Handing out tiny cups of water and minuscule snacks only makes BA look cheap and penny-pinching. I'd prefer they got rid of the service completely on short-haul flights, and focused on making the Eurotraveller experience as good as it can be - including a consistent BOB offering that matches the promises made in the marketing guff and doesn't run out by row 11.

No-one expects free water and snacks on a train, no matter how long the journey, and passengers will soon get used to not having them on BA either.
Well yes, but the point is that BA in Euro Traveller were previously purely BOB, and everyone did get used to it. Then they (fairly recently) reintroduced free water and a snack to demonstrate that they were moving away from cost-cutting and were investing in the product. Hence the bemusement now.
DXB2745 likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:20 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by jmd
As I understand it, the problem is that it isn’t a glass or two that’s offered instead - it’s about 3 inches of water in a plastic cup. It’s pathetic.
3 inches? You're being generous. It's about 1 inch...
jmd likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I thought one of Sean Doyle's missions was to put the premium back into BA? This is sounding more like Cruz.
jmd, skipness1E and londonba2014 like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:47 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I am surprised how a small thing like a handing out a tiny bottle of water can give people the perception of a premium service. In much the same way we have people happy to part with an extra £100 to get an empty middle seat and a Tesco meal deal on a tray.

Rightly or wrongly, statusless Jane and John, will at some point decide to splurge a bit and pay extra for their usual EasyJet trip to Continental Europe and take the "premium" BA flights, and when they realise BA gave them exactly the same experience they'd have got with EasyJet, they might not be back on BA again too quickly.
Old May 3, 2024, 7:29 am
D1L

The thing is, I believe BA already offer something extra outside of this appalling mess off a complimentry / hybrid BOB service to the Euro Traveller customers.

They have a more generous hand-luggage included as standard. Executive club that gives them the option to potentially reduce future flight costs by collecting Avios and gain status for lounge access etc, free wifi for messaging, the option to pre-order duty free and high life cafe items on most routes.

Yes theres some improvements they need to make for sure, the main one i feel is to be more consistant. I honestly think the only way they can do this onboard, is to have one standard service type for Euro Traveller. Either all BOB or no BOB at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.