Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are BA planning to stop free water in ET?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by subject2load
An early example perhaps of the “array of new initiatives to transform the airline”, as excitedly announced by BA Media Centre in March.

Are we soon to discover to find that the £7bn transformation plan only allows for one small cup of water per passenger on a four hour flight ; and is this really what CEO Sean Doyle meant when he spoke about his commitment to delivering “a world class customer experience”
Yeah he may have meant “a third world class experience” which I understand should now be called a “developing country class experience”.

Originally Posted by Lefly
LH water bottle + snack + chocolate, EN water bottle + snack, AZ full glass water or soft drink + snack, LO water glass + snack, SN nothing (but as airline it's closer to a low cost than other)
You missed FR air to breathe onboard.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Yeah he may have meant “a third world class experience” which I understand should now be called a “developing country class experience”.

You missed FR air to breathe onboard.
I am indeed missing FR... by purpose
I think my last flight with them has been in 2009. Also, I hate Charleroi.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I don’t understand why people drink so much water. It seems like everyone now carries a bottle and needs a swig every few minutes. People on trains, in swimming pools, walking around on an English spring day, students doing exams, checkout assistants ……..

We are savannah apes and carefully designed by Darwin to go without water for periods of time. Yet whenever you read about beauty, travel and health in papers or articles they insist you need to drink two litres a day! Poppycock!
I assume you have some sort of qualifications to make this assumption? Some basic research will tell you that most adults benefit greatly (even require) around 3-4 litres of water a day. The health benefits are clear and well documented. It's not a case of having a "swig every few minutes" but more a case of making sure you are always hydrated.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by londonba2014
I did post in the Speedbird Cafe forum the other week about this - but was rather jumped on questioning why I didn’t buy supplies at the airport - when I was simply pointing it out. wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where the PYOK article came from.

Anyhow yes a trial is underway on Larnaca and Budapest services, offering half a cup of water as the service. I did ask to feedback to the crew via the iPad that I wasn’t impressed with the move, or lack of notice on a 5hr Larnaca flight - but was told that wasn’t possible for some reason.

Crew generally weren’t looking forward to a formal roll out - which suggests something coming down the track. US services were also subject to a trial the other month - on wine poured from full bottles as opposed to mini bottles, not sure what’s happened there.
Ah, I did wonder why I got half a plastic cup of water on my recent BUD - wasnt impressed, thisnis a backward step for sure.
londonba2014 and becks1 like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I assume you have some sort of qualifications to make this assumption? Some basic research will tell you that most adults benefit greatly (even require) around 3-4 litres of water a day. The health benefits are clear and well documented. It's not a case of having a "swig every few minutes" but more a case of making sure you are always hydrated.
And particularly because air travel is particularly dehydrating. Of course you can always pick up water (more often than not in a single use plastic bottle, which of course nixes BA's greenwashing) at the airport, and you didn't get a lot on BA Y anyway. It's really more about the symbolism I suspect, it's not a good look to offering half cups of water, the optics are terrible. Better to offer nothing at all really.
jmd, orbitmic, PAL62V and 5 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Out of interest what do another European airlines offer complementary within Europe?
For now, AF and KL still offer a light meal in European Y (e.g. sandwich) and full bar. TK is more generous with food and less with drink. As noted by others, LH and LX is more basic (water, chocolate) and SK is water, tea or coffee.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by PAL62V
And as I keep reminding people on this forum, please remember that your 2 hour flight may well be part of my 27 hour journey. Many of us are routinely connecting from long hauland dehydration is cumulative. I don't want to go into gross details but I have ended up with bleeding nose, dry throat and more more than occasionally after long series of flights - regular water drinking is the only thing that limits those effects.
jmd, PAL62V, Cw novice and 2 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:17 pm

It seems rather short sighted. The crew on the short hops have got the handing out of water and snack down to a fine art now. Much quicker than they used too. Which means that they can sell more from the BoB. Especially on 1 hour domestics.

Surely if this means less BoB sales then in true BA fashion their cutting their hand to spite their face

​​
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I don’t understand why people drink so much water. It seems like everyone now carries a bottle and needs a swig every few minutes. People on trains, in swimming pools, walking around on an English spring day, students doing exams, checkout assistants ……..

We are savannah apes and carefully designed by Darwin to go without water for periods of time. Yet whenever you read about beauty, travel and health in papers or articles they insist you need to drink two litres a day! Poppycock!
I agree that some of the health and beauty stuff wouldn't survive a Scottish trial for witchery, in terms of academic rigour. It's also true that humans can survive and adapt very well to sub-optimal conditions, and you're unlikely to keel over if you don't have enough water on any given day. There again that is also true of smoking one cigarette, a quick vape, one glass of LPGS. But with all of this, there is a cumulative effect. The actual recommendation for men on some research papers is 3 litres, and 2.2. litres for women, up or down a bit depending on size and lifestyle. It's ok to be soft drinks, tea, coffee, there is also a lot of fluid in some food items such as soft fruit. But let me highlight two reasons for drinking fluids : kidney stones - if you drink only 0.5 litres of water in a day almost all of that is the minima for the kidneys to work, and at that level impurities will build up, calcifiy and at some stage can give men a bit of a go at the pains of childbirth. Drinking plenty of fluids is a key way to minimise this risk. Anyone who has been through this tends to become a water zealot. Secondly if you are a bit hydrated and something else hits you - food poisoning, COVID-19, bacterial infection - then a trivial problem can result in you ending up in Intensive Care very, very quickly. And people tend to dry out a lot when flying, in an environment where pathogens can rapidly pass from person to person.
Old May 2, 2024, 2:09 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
Originally Posted by orbitmic
For now, AF and KL still offer a light meal in European Y (e.g. sandwich) and full bar. TK is more generous with food and less with drink. As noted by others, LH and LX is more basic (water, chocolate) and SK is water, tea or coffee.
And nothing on IB (fully buy on board), which makes it feel like it's an IAG decision to cut back! (IB will give you a cup of water if you ask, but you're meant to pay for the bottles – at 2,50€ a pop they aren't cheap either!) Always nice to get the small packaged jambon beurre sandwich from AF. I'm in ET later this month MAD-LHR and will see what the situation is, at least it's not with Euroflyer!
fluffymitten likes this.

Last edited by chacor; May 2, 2024 at 2:22 pm
Old May 2, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm more than happy to use my own water bottle - if there is water available at/near the gate - it would save those small bottles.
As for wine - poured from the bottle or small bottles: had pouring back on March, but seems to have reverted to the small bottles in April (same TATL route).
Old May 2, 2024, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I agree that some of the health and beauty stuff wouldn't survive a Scottish trial for witchery, in terms of academic rigour. It's also true that humans can survive and adapt very well to sub-optimal conditions, and you're unlikely to keel over if you don't have enough water on any given day. There again that is also true of smoking one cigarette, a quick vape, one glass of LPGS. But with all of this, there is a cumulative effect. The actual recommendation for men on some research papers is 3 litres, and 2.2. litres for women, up or down a bit depending on size and lifestyle. It's ok to be soft drinks, tea, coffee, there is also a lot of fluid in some food items such as soft fruit. But let me highlight two reasons for drinking fluids : kidney stones - if you drink only 0.5 litres of water in a day almost all of that is the minima for the kidneys to work, and at that level impurities will build up, calcifiy and at some stage can give men a bit of a go at the pains of childbirth. Drinking plenty of fluids is a key way to minimise this risk. Anyone who has been through this tends to become a water zealot. Secondly if you are a bit hydrated and something else hits you - food poisoning, COVID-19, bacterial infection - then a trivial problem can result in you ending up in Intensive Care very, very quickly. And people tend to dry out a lot when flying, in an environment where pathogens can rapidly pass from person to person.
Not to mention that hydration is critical for those of us with other underlying medical conditions (such as diabetes).
PETER01, orbitmic, PAL62V and 2 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
O/T but drinking significant volumes of water for me during flights seems to personally have a huge impact on jet lag and headaches.

Quite happy to be in the many litres a day camp!
choosethedrew likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:06 pm

Today's LHR-BUD water and snack service in Traveller...

The savoury snack alternative was tiny packet of salt and vinegar flavour 'fish and chips' crisps.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The fish and chips snacks (which have nothing to do with fish and a lot to do with vinegar) are actually quite nice. But they don't half make you thirsty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.