Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA12 SIN-LHR 22 Apr A380 G-XLED returns to SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA12 SIN-LHR 22 Apr A380 G-XLED returns to SIN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2024, 6:56 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by Globalist
Food and drink, I doubt it. As for lavs, you cant expect passengers to hold it for 5 hours

Globalist
Hi Globalist,
The lavs were open throughout, and only when we were approaching Singapore for landing were we told not to use them as per fairly normal procedure.
Besides, the aircraft was dumping fluid, so why not the passengers ...?

I was sleeping through most of the circling but there seemed to be food being served. Once they'd decided to return to SIN , they seemed happy enough to feed us.
It's Wednesday morning here in Singapore and I'm in my hotel waiting to call the local BAEC line to see if they can move my onward flight LHR-ABZ to a later time than the redeye I've been given, since current schedule has us arriving very late in LHR and I want more than a few hours sleep in between.
wrp96, crazy8534 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:05 pm

I have successfully claimed from BA before under UK261 and I don't see any reason why I won't be successful this time, for both SIN-LHR and LHR-ABZ.
It's probably already factored in to their losses from this incident,
That part is clear-cut but there may well be further claims I can make successfully. Will let you know once I get home and settled.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by mandolino
I have successfully claimed from BA before under UK261 and I don't see any reason why I won't be successful this time, for both SIN-LHR and LHR-ABZ.
To claim 2x comp. for both SIN-LHR and LHR-ABZ? I fail to see on which grounds you would be entitled to any comp for LHR-ABZ under UK261 if the rebooked flight will fly as scheduled and in particular if upon request you are rebooked to a later flight than the early morning ABZ flight tomorrow that you are currently on.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 11:39 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Appears the BA269 tomorrow is cancelled as a result. The issues with BA's A380s are quite something.
I suspect its an a380 thing rather than BA.
Singapore Airlines have a 380 parked at Heathrow. It was on a remote stand and then in the BA maintenance area a day or so ago.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
To claim 2x comp. for both SIN-LHR and LHR-ABZ? I fail to see on which grounds you would be entitled to any comp for LHR-ABZ under UK261 if the rebooked flight will fly as scheduled and in particular if upon request you are rebooked to a later flight than the early morning ABZ flight tomorrow that you are currently on.
I guess you're right . It won't break my heart if I get nothing for the LHR-ABZ leg.
I will claim for a hotel since the late arrival necessitates an overnight stay which the original timing didn't.
Thanks to BAEC Singapore, after calling them, I did get my early morning flight changed to a later one.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:06 am

Yikes what have I done?!

I was mostly wondering about this post -- which suggested the circling was done to save the financial costs of an overweight landing, and the passengers may as well be screwed further, as the compensation bill won't go up any more, no other reason. I guess the airlines write the rules in a way that tips in their favour...
I’m not picking on you Cauchy, I just use this quote as an example of an oft repeated theme on these boards. The decisions made by Captains as to when to land in these circumstances take no account of the financial ramifications. We have three responsibilities, and they are ranked in this way:

A duty of care to the safety of the passengers: a failure of this will lead to a loss of our freedom. If we act in a criminally negligent way, we go to prison.

A duty to adhere to the rules laid down by the regulator: if we breach these, we could lose our livelihood. If we act in a manner that leads to the loss of our licence.

A duty to the company, if we breach these we lose our job. the company will not employ us any longer.

So you can see the list of responsibilities - some acts would breach all three in one go, some just one of the mandates. There are circumstances where these conflict with each other.

A real life example: I was presented with an aircraft with no APU in the middle of the summer. On boarding I found that the temperature was in excess of 38c. The aircraft was presented as fit for service and would just need a starter air cart and crossbleed start on pushback. There was no cooling air available and airport regulation forbade running an engine to cool the cabin. I had walked through the departure lounge just prior to boarding, there was, at least , 10 babes in arms in the departure lounge.

So, as far as the company was concerned the aircraft was fit for service, my last responsibility. No regulatory issues were breached, my second responsibility, but my duty of care to the welfare of the passengers? No, I could not accept the aircraft as fit for service as boarding (which increases temperature due to bodies radiating heat) would have endangered the health of the babies and infirm.

At NO point did I get any pushback from the company once I made my decision - no commercial pressure is placed upon captains by BA to act against the best interests (where safety is concerned) of the passengers. No BA manager is dictating to captains as to the length of air holding vs overweight landings or fuel dumping etc.

The very few occasions where management may suggest things, then these suggestions are weighed, by the Captain in their overall decision as to how to proceed. We are not company robots and once we have signed for the aircraft it is our responsibility to ensure that we act in the best interests of safety, and indeed the ANO empowers us (and hold us to account) to act for “the safety and regularity” of the flight.

So there is no big brotheresque BA dictating that we should hold or land based on dollar signs and avoidance of compensation - these decisions are made based upon a different set of criteria. We may well consult Ops or Engineering and factor their input into our decision but, these are merely data points in a decision making process that is entirely safety lead.

Last edited by Waterhorse; Apr 24, 2024 at 1:13 am
Old Apr 24, 2024, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by mandolino
I guess you're right . It won't break my heart if I get nothing for the LHR-ABZ leg.
I will claim for a hotel since the late arrival necessitates an overnight stay which the original timing didn't.
Thanks to BAEC Singapore, after calling them, I did get my early morning flight changed to a later one.
To claim for reimbursement of necessary and reasonable hotel expenses, meals, etc is something completely different (under the duty of care) and most likely will BA reimburse these expenses incurred without fuss.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 2:35 am

Well it's in the air...

15:30 (SGT) departure became 16:18 and 22:45 (BST) arrival is currently estimated at 22:56

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW12D/34e88a31
Old Apr 24, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by Waterhorse

A real life example: I was presented with an aircraft with no APU in the middle of the summer. On boarding I found that the temperature was in excess of 38c. The aircraft was presented as fit for service and would just need a starter air cart and crossbleed start on pushback. There was no cooling air available and airport regulation forbade running an engine to cool the cabin. I had walked through the departure lounge just prior to boarding, there was, at least , 10 babes in arms in the departure lounge.

Did you have to open the cockpit hatch to try and keep cool?
crazy8534 and Loungeabout like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:21 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
She's a bute!!

Anyone else here wish BA had bought a load of 747-8s?

There's something about a Queen-of-the-Skies in BA livery. Probably only second to Pan-Am, in my opinion.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
It wasnt a jumbo, though we did open the top hatch on that and on the L1011 for a little bit of air
wrp96, crazy8534, PLeblond and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by gcuk
I suspect its an a380 thing rather than BA.
Singapore Airlines have a 380 parked at Heathrow. It was on a remote stand and then in the BA maintenance area a day or so ago.
SQ also facing problem with the A380. Have to cut schedule for this summer. 3xA380 are out for maintenance. And one more having issue since 19/4 after arriving in LHR. Just flown back to SIN today after 5 days in LHR. So left only 8 A380 which is just enough for the current schedule.

last month another SQ A380 also AOG in LHR for one week before flying back to SIN
gcuk likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Waterhorse is quite correct in their retort. It is a factually sound reply. Should you wish to embark on your own journey of learning two excellent sources to sign post you towards.

So You Want To Be A Captain?

A brilliant, if somewhat dated document now, that covers a lot of the ground with regards to command and what it means to be a Captain or in command of an aircraft. Part 2 legal aspects of command is worth while investing time in. The references to JAA/JAR/EU-OPS are now redundant, but their replacements are almost verbose.

For US tarmac delays see here https://www.transportation.gov/indiv.../tarmac-delays

Finally - your learning journey is your own responsibility, no one elses.
I think you're perfectly aware that they were objecting the rudeness and not to the veracity of the information given. "Your learning journey is your own responsibility" - Jesus Christ!

I can only assume that they're unfamiliar with the reputation this specific forum has for rude and obnoxious regulars (who will no doubt be along shortly to chastise me for having the audacity to challenge the attitude of one of the in-crowd...)
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Moderator note

Folks, as a courtesy to those actually involved or interested in this specific incident, let's leave the personal commentaries on the jetrbridge and focus on the topic at hand.

Thank you for you co-operation.
PETER01, wrp96 and jediwisdom like this.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by EGHI_or_BUST
Well it's in the air...

15:30 (SGT) departure became 16:18 and 22:45 (BST) arrival is currently estimated at 22:56

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW12D/34e88a31
I tried spotting it on the way to work leaving home 20 minutes earlier for my 1.5 hour commute - even got off at the platform and waited till 1600h before giving up as I had a class to teach. Takeoff time wasn't on my side lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.