Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does QR's recent issues with Australian slots open a door for BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does QR's recent issues with Australian slots open a door for BA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I still remember the times when people thought that EK and QR routes to Oz and New Zealand would utterly and completely flop because noone could possibly want spending 17 or 18 hours on a flight
I have done DOH-AKL in J, and I found it rather pleasant, having slept for the first 11 hours. QR's dining-on-demand was an important factor in this, and flying EDI to AKL with just one stop in between added to the attractiveness.

I would not have wanted to do that in Y, though...
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by oldfolky
Im in Melbourne and we are the biggest and best city in Australia (better coffee, better food, better music, better sports and this really attractive chip on our shoulders about how no one recognises were better than that place with the harbour and the bridge). .
St Petersburg is the best city in Russia, isn't it?
[and don't tell me it's in Florida...]
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelswithmybriefcase
.....Incidentally the DOH - ADL flight I think continues to AKL unless things have changed.
Stopped Sept 2023 when QR restarted DOH-AKL non stop after CV19

Originally Posted by Strawb
BA resuming the MEL route which it last operated in 2006 is never going to happen despite the crewmours. It makes no sense for a non-Arab based carrier like BA to operate direct flights via DOH to MEL or even SYD. The current BA15/16 goes via SIN which makes it just about viable. Qantas flight QF1/2 on the Kanagroo route operated via DXB from 2013. It was never going to be a long term success.
The Kangaroo route is very different to 2006. That is when the ME3 prominence started. EK got is first A380 in 2009. QR had an big aircraft orders in 2003 & 2007. QR's first flight to AU (MEL) was in 2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_Airways and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_(airline)
UK & Australia are at the end of the line. From the ME3 home airports 3-5-7-9 hrs flying time gets to very population. And SQ and other Asian-Chinese airlines can offer 1 stop flights, The Asian-Chinese airlines compete for the low airfare market. Airlines at the end of the line cannot compete (QF & BA).

Cannot see BA return to MEL. Or to BNE. A second SYD flight a very remote possibility, but would be good marketing. But the LHR & SYD night curfews limit and slots are very limiting.

QF have ultra long hauls MEL-PER-LHR and SYD-PER-FCO with B787. When QF start SYD-PER-CDG the B787 on MEL PER B787 will stop. Just then a MEL-PER domestic flight, often a B737. QF seem to pinning some hope on ULH, but limited by aircraft.

Edit
AU govt Australia's air services agreements & arrangements

AU UK link --> http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/d...S/2012/12.html
Strawb likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 3, 2024 at 5:31 pm
Old Mar 3, 2024, 5:33 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
PER does load a lot of passengers onto the flight. I would reckon on about 75% start in PER, though a surprisingly large number of passengers connect to BA domestic and Ireland services (PER-ABZ being the largest flow, followed by DUB).
Note the MEL, and soon SYD-SIN route has been joined by TK. Although they too have ambitions to go non-stop, I can see TK offering some very attractive AUS-SIN fares. TK could grow rapidly and match QR given their cap on expansion.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Remember the profitability of SYD to BA is (a) pax, (b) cargo and (c) maintenance base (not just BA planes), to make MEL work on the same lines you would need to offer the same profitability across the three domains, which may not be there. I do not know what the profit mix is.

it is though interesting that from at least what I can see BA do close to zero advertising in AU

although they do codeshare into AU with CX and QR so would have a handle on volumes outside of SYD.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
I have done DOH-AKL in J, and I found it rather pleasant, having slept for the first 11 hours. QR's dining-on-demand was an important factor in this, and flying EDI to AKL with just one stop in between added to the attractiveness.

I would not have wanted to do that in Y, though...
I have (done it in Y!) and to make it worse, it was in the longer direction (AKL-DOH) and for a trip from London where I had only spent less than 48 hours in New Zealand. I can't say it was the best flight of my life, but it was far from the worst too, and I think I resented the follow up DOH-LHR (still in Y) more.

I have to say that personally, even (and perhaps even more) if flying in Y, if given the choice, I'd pick a single 18-20 hour flight over two consecutive 10-12 hour flights any day. In J, I'd similarly pick a single 18-20 hour flight in J over two flights that would involve any connection in a domestic (including US or Australian non fully flat) C/F connection. In my personal view, there was relatively little difference in the unpleasantness of my 18 hour Y flights (I have done several) compared to the unpleasantness of a 14 or 10 hour Y flight. By contrast, I do feel that knowing you'll need to take a second one after you arrive at your transit point feels really daunting, even if it is a short 8, 6, or even 2 hour flight.

If I have time to do a proper stopover and have a decent night sleep in a hotel, whether flying Y or J, then things are different, but to be honest, if I am on a work trip, that is not always a realistic option, or it is one which will cost me time at home which in some cases I'd rather not sacrifice.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:18 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Ive seen the toilets after 10 hours. I do not relish having to use one after maybe 20. J seat or no J seat.
Some airlines keep the toilets clean and tidy, even on ultra long haul.
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.