Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

🤔 Needing relationship advice or excuses for taking an upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald

Flying WTP tomorrow PHL-LHR.
Upgrade cost is £829 to fly Club Suites
Financially, I can afford it (or at least AmEx can )
But what do I say to Mrs IntVic when she asks about this charge on checking the credit card statement?
One excuse is that I can claim the taxable element against HMRC as it is a work trip where I'm reimbursed for WTP. I think she's cottoned on that it ain't all that though
Also got to be careful because my son is a flyertalk member, and very close to his mother, but I don't think he knows my user name. He will report to his mother!
HIDDY, timma1971, FTDDD and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I cant offer any advise but this reminds me why I don't have any joint accounts with the Mrs
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:40 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eddy67
I cant offer any advise but this reminds me why I don't have any joint accounts with the Mrs
This exactly.

I guess, if you are worried then do not do it - or get a separate credit card that she does not know of Or say work will reimburse, but I am not a fan of lying.

Or you could be up-front about it and say you need the extra comfort, and it is a reasonable price to pay
Mekko and momoflyingguy like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Solved in our household by taking my wife F/J. As long as the agreement is we both fly that way then it’s fair and fine.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
That’s a poor deal for east coast, even overnight. I’d probably call and say I’m tired and very tempted to take the £800 upgrade but decided against it because it’s extravagant on a wind assisted 6 hour hop.

Then she’ll either persuade you to take it or agree. Either way you’re up.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well obviously you need to bribe your son into silence. Is there a GUF2 or wadge of transferable Avios at stake here?

[More boringly, I think you may get a fast flight tomorrow, so £100 of restorative food / drink may be better value and is at least shareable with your nearest+dearest as well as your wife].
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IntVic
Also got to be careful because my son is a flyertalk member, and very close to his mother, but I don't think he knows my user name. He will report to his mother!
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Always, always ask for forgiveness, never permission.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Proactively purchase brownie points by announcing that you are treating your better half to a trip or upgrade in the future.

They’ve done studies you know, 60% of the time it works everytime.
BA or bust, crazy8534 and zip10001 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 5:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Always, always ask for forgiveness, never permission.
I happen to know this is the voice of experience.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I happen to know this is the voice of experience.
You'd better hope the Chief Petty Officer doesn't read this
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Use the money more wisely would be my advice. How about buying the missus a new washing machine to keep her sweet?
Here's hoping you get upgraded.
Geordie405, TRISTAR1979 and Mekko like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Use the money more wisely would be my advice. How about buying the missus a new washing machine to keep her sweet?
Here's hoping you get upgraded.
The single best purchase I have ever made in my wife's eyes is the matching LG washer and dryer that play the Lincolnshire Poacher medley after completing a cycle. Considering the annoyance of the constant shrill beeping that the old ones made this was a significant enough improvement in household life that I'm fairly sure I bought 2-3 tier point runs of acceptance. Also, genuine great machines.
BA or bust, HIDDY and zip10001 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I would have no problem with whatever upgrade my husband would like to pay for.
I could, however, have something to say if a (basic) household appliance was presented as a gift. So... 1950...

But... would I pay that much for a PHL-LHR flight? I'm really not sure.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
I could, however, have something to say if a (basic) household appliance was presented as a gift. So... 1950...
Just to clarify from my post and for the avoidance of doubt that's why I said a purchase not a gift. An appliance certainly isn't a gift but I would challenge anyone to not have a little joy bought into their day by the happy LG jingle and beeps.
BA or bust, HIDDY, Lefly and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.