Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

🤔 Needing relationship advice or excuses for taking an upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

🤔 Needing relationship advice or excuses for taking an upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by IntVic
Also got to be careful because my son is a flyertalk member, and very close to his mother, but I don't think he knows my user name.
Relying on the durability of such obscurity is a choice worth reconsideration, even if you are posting only tongue firmly planted in cheek!
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Let me recommend spending the money on a romantic break to Granada instead: BA don’t fly there direct and (having read reviews, not personal experience) I wouldn’t recommend Vueling who do from LGW so you should take Iberia via MAD which has the benefit of extra TP.

GRX doesn’t have a lounge, it’s a pleasant airport to travel out of and has a little cafe near the four (five?) gates.

If you want a nonstop flight you could fly to AGP, which is about 60 miles away and if you want to make this into a TP-collecting extravaganza you could fly LHR-HEL-AGP round trip in business class for 440TP total, although it’ll increase your cost dramatically.

The Alhambra is wondrous, and you can stay in Hotel Casa 1800 Granada and enjoy their delighful courtyard for not much money per night.

https://www.hotelcasa1800granada.com/en/rooms-suites/

Southern Spain is warm right now and delightfully cheap compared to London or New York.

Last edited by salut0; Feb 27, 2024 at 1:41 pm
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA
Shaun you are not my son... are you?
I'm going to pass on this one at the moment... as mentioned the flight is very short plus I have a good bulk head aisle seat which appears to have a blocked seat next to mine... but the real kicker is when I texted her about this.... she gone silent on me!
Only thing worse than the silence is when she utters the most frightening words known to man "we need to talk" 😨
I will console myself in the fact that I don't need the tier points, I can usually sleep in a WTP seat and I will have saved £800+
..... until I get to check in and lose all sense and reasoning 🤣
.... or I tell her the devil made me do it!
She's gone silent because she expects you to do it and is out spending the equivalent on handbags and the like.
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 2:40 pm

Programs: EK Gold, QR Gold, WY Gold, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by crazy8534
Always, always ask for forgiveness, never permission.
the last time I asked for permission and she said "Fine! do whatever you want", it apparently does NOT mean I can do whatever I want.

learnt it the hard way.
BA or bust, SKT-DK, aks120 and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 6:57 pm

Flying WTP tomorrow PHL-LHR.
Upgrade cost is £829 to fly Club Suites
Financially, I can afford it (or at least AmEx can )
But what do I say to Mrs IntVic when she asks about this charge on checking the credit card statement?
One excuse is that I can claim the taxable element against HMRC as it is a work trip where I'm reimbursed for WTP. I think she's cottoned on that it ain't all that though
Also got to be careful because my son is a flyertalk member, and very close to his mother, but I don't think he knows my user name. He will report to his mother!
If you can't have an honest and open conversation about this with your other half, sounds like you've got bigger problems in the relationship 🤷‍♂️
dodgeflyer and Flythe96flag like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
If you can't have an honest and open conversation about this with your other half, sounds like you've got bigger problems in the relationship 🤷‍♂️
I thinkt it's all been said in jest....unless like me he has an Argentinian wife!!
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I thinkt it's all been said in jest....unless like me he has an Argentinian wife!!
Is he looking for validation from this forum to justify his upgrade?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:21 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
What use would an open and honest conversation ending in a “no” be?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 2:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Flying WTP tomorrow PHL-LHR.
Upgrade cost is £829 to fly Club Suites
Financially, I can afford it (or at least AmEx can )
But what do I say to Mrs IntVic when she asks about this charge on checking the credit card statement?
One excuse is that I can claim the taxable element against HMRC as it is a work trip where I'm reimbursed for WTP. I think she's cottoned on that it ain't all that though
Also got to be careful because my son is a flyertalk member, and very close to his mother, but I don't think he knows my user name. He will report to his mother!
I think you were looking for Liartalk.com
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Update.... for those concerned about the state of my relationship with Mrs IntVic... we are good (nearly 40 years married and counting- not giving exact anniversary so my son does not cotton on if he reads this thread🕵️)
This thread was made with tongue firmly in cheek... just wanted to be a bit different from the usual is it worth the money?
Spoke to Mrs IntVic yesterday and I agreed with her that the upgrade was not worth purchasing.
But this morning, on checking expertflyer I see that my WT+ seat is now free, and my boarding pass has updated and I'm upgraded into CW... 🥂
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Karma is a powerful upgrade tool. Good result all round.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Update.... for those concerned about the state of my relationship with Mrs IntVic... we are good (nearly 40 years married and counting- not giving exact anniversary so my son does not cotton on if he reads this thread🕵️)
That is brilliant news!
Good decision and well done.

Although I am chuckling at the idea that any of our sons would have a scooby-do what year wedding anniversary we were up to....
BA or bust likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I will have saved £800
This sounds like a Conservative party line on the reallocation of HS2 funds! You can't save something that hasn't been spent.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
This sounds like a Conservative party line on the reallocation of HS2 funds! You can't save something that hasn't been spent.
On SoMe this is called "girl math". Myself (not a girl) was told by my partner that I had trailblazed this for years.
BA or bust and crazy8534 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:02 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
This thread was made with tongue firmly in cheek... just wanted to be a bit different from the usual is it worth the money?
Spoke to Mrs IntVic yesterday and I agreed with her that the upgrade was not worth purchasing.
But this morning, on checking expertflyer I see that my WT+ seat is now free, and my boarding pass has updated and I'm upgraded into CW... 🥂

Fabulous ! So you have saved £852 which you could use towards your next upgrade .
redrose59 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.