Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your short haul champagne record?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Similarly, I used to smoke after sex, but I too have calmed down with the passing of the years.
If it causes you to smoke, you’re probably doing it wrong.

Or else you need more bottles of champagne. Or other lubrication…

I think I’ve done 3 mini bottles on LGW to JER flights. And I suspect 4 bottles plus a couple of Cointreaus on LGW to LPA flights, back when it was GB Airways.
Horatio and IJN Harekaze like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 8:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Similarly, I used to smoke after sex, but I too have calmed down with the passing of the years.
So have you stopped smoking?

can I as an ex nurse and full-time auntie on here say this. I cannot speak for the rest of the world as I don’t know it but Europe I know well, drinking for drinking safe or simply to get sloshed seems acceptable, but southern Europe. It is somewhat frowned on. I’m not saying that I do, but when I read about you boys (and girls) making marathons with a champagne bottle, I do worry a little bit as it might be doing to you.

that said, having done dry January and then been on antibiotics for quite a lot of February. I cannot tell you how delicious the gin and tonic was afterwards. Tasted like nectar and nowadays when we are home we are not drinking during the week. I hope I sound neither me mouth, nor holier than now but I know this is a bit of fun. I think 14 oranges need a level of alcohol and to be able to consume
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I've done 2 Beers and 2 Champagnes in the EDI-LHR...

Oh and I managed a cup of tea too!
IJN Harekaze likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Not shorthaul but as a regular travel I relish those flights for holidays. Mrs SYD and I took QF2 in late Jan and she was horrified to see that from QF Lounge, through first leg and then into QF F lounge in Singapore I'd probably stared down 3 bottles of champagne. I was sober as a judge due to the passage of time and felt like I had reached a Patsy Stone-esque aura by the time the second leg rolled by.

Shorthaul I've managed a G and T and 4 miniatures of Champagne. Think I was flyig to NAP on the evening flight so just over 2h.

I often think of the exploits of royalty such as PUCCI GALORE and wonder if I'll ever drink my way to such Mucci heights onboard.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Acid reflux
Yup.
Its why I go G&T
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:16 am

Programs: DL/HH/IHG/BW/Caesar's Diamond (Select), UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott/MGM Gold, Hertz/Avis PC
Originally Posted by Greenpen
In AF F they would have proper bottles not the mini ones served on BA short haul. So you probably drank 5 glasses. And the glass is a small one so it probably amounts to just over half a bottle! And maybe after the second glass they were giving you the non- alcoholic version?
I asked to keep the bottle on my tray table. I was prepared for their tricks!
Greenpen likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:20 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Not a BA experience, but back in my partier years my brother came for a visit to celebrate his birthday and we boarded an HP flight PHX-ABQ in F. I mentioned to the FA (who obviously had some experience with these sorts of things) that it was my bro's bday and we were out to set the record for the number of drinks in a one-hour flight. With many nods and winks and refills from the FA, we "landed" around 9am after 7 Bloody Marys. Unfortunately, that meant needing a taxi to the hotel and an adjustment to the rental car arrangement. With all the salt from the BM mix and the cheap HP vodka, we probably set some blood pressure records as well.
Grey Nomad likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I love how BA's cabin crew are such big drinkers

I've had "this whole bottle has your name on it" and, when I had three glasses of three wines with tiny amounts in the bottom, "you should pour them all into one glass and down it", in the last couple of flights.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
6 glasses between 3 of us in ET to NCE, crew came over with a card and 3 glasses as one of the group was celebrating his birthday.

We’d just spent 4 hours in the CCR that afternoon (GGL conveniently connecting with an F BP) so it’s not like it was necessary, but when needs must..

Swiftly followed by a top up of for all 3. We then slept till landing. Was a great flight.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:46 am
Original Poster

In this thread - people I want to be friends with.
EuropeanPete, bafan, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver, Nectar, Tesco
Originally Posted by OroroT
I seriously hope I never sit next to anyone trying to set a personal best in this category 🤢🤢
Good - means all the more for us!
bafan, KARFA, Foofighter69 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Not strictly short haul (or it is now on the A320) and not champagne related but…15 mini red bottles flying back from Sharm El-Sheikh back in 2010 on a 772 in economy.

The missus was driving back from Gatwick so wasn’t drinking so managed to snaffle a few more for me.

Strangely, I can remember a lot about the flight, I also recall it was G-YMMB. We eventually got home, I then dug out about a foot of snow off an 80 foot shared driveway as the neighbours had been waiting for me to come back. Mission complete, I then went to the pub across the road for a few pints and a steak and kidney pie.

Not all superheroes wear capes.
wrp96, KARFA, Milwaukee and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Rioja; Feb 26, 2024 at 2:03 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 26, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
In addition to my contribution above, the honourable mention goes to my sister who flew on BA36 (MAA to LHR) in CW with me. We took off at 8am, we had breakfast and still had 9 hours to go. It’s an odd flight because you leave early in the morning and land at lunchtime, so I find I don’t fancy drinking till just before landing on that one. A bit like the early LHR-JFK departures (BA175 comes to mind, just late enough to tempt me to drink with the second meal).

I told her I’d be taking a nap and wake up 2-3 hours later. I woke up to find that she had polished off a bottle of port and bottle of red, yet was surprisingly sober. The crew confirmed her commitment to the cause.

Perhaps it’s something about the air on the 787 or the South Indian breakfast soaking up the booze, because she’s an absolute lightweight!
HIDDY, wrp96, EDDLEGLL and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Rioja
Not strictly short haul (or it is now on the A320) and not champagne related but…15 mini red bottles flying back from Sharm El-Sheikh back in 2010 on a 772 in economy.

The missus was driving back from Gatwick so wasn’t drinking so managed to snaffle a few more for me.

Strangely, I can remember a lot about the flight, I also recall it was G-YMMB. We eventually got home, I then dug out about a foot of snow off an 80 foot shared driveway as the neighbours had been waiting for me to come back. Mission complete, I then went to the pub across the road for a few pints and a steak and kidney pie.

Not all superheroes wear capes.
Nice effort! And quite an appropriate username!

I think my all time best was several espresso martinis in the CCR, then 3 bottles of LPGS and a few ports (due to the lack of brandy) on an F run to to ORD.

I just a great laugh at 8 bottles of Dom Pom thread mentioned above by the way. Well worth a read.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 1:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Grey Nomad
I just a great laugh at 8 bottles of Dom Pom thread mentioned above by the way. Well worth a read.
I can't really add or say much to this thread other than I've only ever had 2 or 3 drinks maximum when flying and never on short haul and these days I am a coffee or water man.

Anyhow, for those who want to read more like the 8 Bottles of Dom thread here's another one.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni...drunk-166.html
Grey Nomad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.