Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your short haul champagne record?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

What's your short haul champagne record?

A frivolous thread but please do indulge me.

Flying can be a treat and not a chore. I only fly for pleasure.

I'm flying to Belfast from LHR on my birthday in a couple of weeks. My previous record on that route (I'm from NI) is 4 of the miniature bottles when they were being served. I haven't flown it in a couple of years since moving to Newcastle and I do miss the short hop now I have to fly EasyJet.

Please drink responsibly.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:12 pm

RTM-LCY 6 mini bottles. No, just kidding, only two but I got additionally a bag of 4 to be consumed later. A very nice F/A.
BA or bust, becks1, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Elite
Back when the mini bottles were served I had had four LHR-GLA, and the exasperated lead said “I’ve never seen anyone have four on a Glasgow… could you manage another?” I don’t need to be asked twice!
BA or bust, YacozA, wrp96 and 13 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Going to NYC back in October I was upgraded to CE GLA > LHR.

It was a full size bottle but I had a sizeable chunk of the bottle and a glass for landing either that it was going down the sink. Certainly made the long haul sector more comfortable
BA or bust, bafan, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Got upgraded going to Prague once, shortly before Mrs S started with BA. Had about four glasses then when went up to get another I got talking to the crew about life at BA. She had an opened bottle with one glass out of it and said that no-one else was drinking it and it would be thrown away otherwise. So I had the rest.
Markie, BA or bust, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
You guys are all lightweights.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
4 bottles on a LBA- LHR, with no delay to the landing (this point was quite important to young Karfa, who I believe may have done the same)
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
I’m going to stick with ‘many’ so as not to incriminate myself I will say the most on a short haul was AF CDG-NCL, finished a full sized bottle before takeoff, had the dregs in a plastic cup as we taxied for take off for a VERY delayed flight. Got to love the AF ‘if we’re delayed, open the champagne’ ethos. Didn’t manage to finish the entire second bottle in flight, but I gave it a good go.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:22 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
2 Full bottles on CDG-AMS on AF 😁😄 not proud of it, but sort of I am 😁😂

There were two of us on that flight and together we emptied 4 bottles, the FA was shocked and said she has nothing now left for the return 😉 luckily it was NOT a direct turn for me...

Oh the good old days

First bottle was empty before the plane took off 😂😁
Old Feb 25, 2024, 3:25 pm

In the days where I used to drink, I once had at least 6 small bottles on a flight back in 1A* from ARN. It was in those strange brown-seated 'suites' they used from Dubai and this was on a flight back from Stockholm. Such a surreal flight. Seat was bizarre. Very wide. Anyway, one crew kept slipping me bottles through the curtain. In the end I had to say 'o more' as it was such an incredible amount on a relatively short flight.

*1A. Thinking about it, I think those suites were 1 per row as my business partner was on the other side and I'm sure I had no-one sitting next to me! Must have been around 2016. Old plane BA had bought from another company. What happened to those planes?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold
ARN-LHR New Year's Day a few years ago Mrs CKBA and myself had a whole large bottle to ourselves since no one else wanted any - had it sat in a plastic box full of ice in the 'spare' middle seat. What an ordeal... .
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
It's off topic, but I got upgraded to F on the LHR-MNL flight back when there was no flat bed in business but there was in F. My first F experience, (if you see what I mean). Films were cassettes then. We were delayed at the gate, watched (I think) Fever Pitch). Managed to consume a large bottle of fizzy before take off. Absolutely miserable flight, indigestion an reflux the whole way. Lesson learnt.
BA or bust and JapesUK like this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:18 pm

I think that Karfa hold the record on the sub 1 hour LBA to LHR (or maybe reverse)
This was before I knew who he was and I was very impressed by the ability of the chap in the seat next to me to down 4 bottles
Subsequently saw it repeated on a delayed flight some time later
BA or bust likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Acid reflux
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've never seen anyone drinking Champagne on a S/H flight. Usually a G&T for me or a Whisky. Was once given a few miniatures of the latter to take away on the last LHR-GLA shuttle of the day.
PUCCI GALORE and BA or bust like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.