Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 2 for 1 voucher and amex plat insurance...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum

(hoping not OT, or should go in the 2 for 1 discussion thread).

Ok, so back in the day, I think you had to use the BA Amex to book your reward flights if using the 2 for 1 voucher. So I held onto the premium card, booked the flights in first, and then downgraded the card to the free one (I'd wasted 240 quid the year before not even getting close to half the required spend).

I'd been using the amex platinum, valuing it's insurance as a major thing (at least 200 quid worth), but since the "trip" has to be paid for with the platinum card, I'm now in the position of having no insurance for the trip. I think using the BA Amex one did provide some sort of insurance (I remember 1500 quid per lost luggage), but does that cover count as the time of booking, or the card owned at the moment? I did look at single trip cover, but the likes of the Post Office wants about 200 quid for that anyway.

I suspect I could go back the BA reward line, and get the amount uncharged from ba amex, and onto platinum, but I'm not even sure if a reward flight booked with a platinum amex is fully covered (given it's paid for partially in points).

Any advice to proceed? Recommendations for single trip travel insurance?
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
> I'm not even sure if a reward flight booked with a platinum amex is fully covered (given it's paid for partially in points).

Yes, even if you put 1c on the card you get the cover
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Smid
(hoping not OT, or should go in the 2 for 1 discussion thread).

Ok, so back in the day, I think you had to use the BA Amex to book your reward flights if using the 2 for 1 voucher. So I held onto the premium card, booked the flights in first, and then downgraded the card to the free one (I'd wasted 240 quid the year before not even getting close to half the required spend).

I'd been using the amex platinum, valuing it's insurance as a major thing (at least 200 quid worth), but since the "trip" has to be paid for with the platinum card, I'm now in the position of having no insurance for the trip. I think using the BA Amex one did provide some sort of insurance (I remember 1500 quid per lost luggage), but does that cover count as the time of booking, or the card owned at the moment? I did look at single trip cover, but the likes of the Post Office wants about 200 quid for that anyway.

I suspect I could go back the BA reward line, and get the amount uncharged from ba amex, and onto platinum, but I'm not even sure if a reward flight booked with a platinum amex is fully covered (given it's paid for partially in points).

Any advice to proceed? Recommendations for single trip travel insurance?
There isn't actually a requirement for the Amex Platinum to be used for the Platinum Travel Insurance's cancellation provisions to kick in. You merely need to use an Amex card whose account is in your name.

The relevant term is as follows:
For the benefits under this section to apply transport and/or accommodation must have been Purchased in full using :
I. the Card;
II. American Express Membership Rewards® points; or
III. Any travel rewards programmes provided the taxes and/or surcharges have been Purchased using the Card.
So in essence you need to have used the "Card". That is defined as:
​​​​​​​“Card” means any Card or other Account access device issued to a Cardmember (or a Supplementary Cardmember) for the purpose of accessing the Account
And "Account" is defined as:
​​​​​​​“Account” or “Card Account” means Your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express in the UK, excluding corporate cards and any American Express cards issued by bank partners
So as you can see, there is nothing that requires the card used to be your Platinum one. It merely needs to be an Amex UK card in your name.

Incidentally, medical emergency cover (the bit that covers your potential largest liability, esp. for trips to the US) is not dependent on the payment method used.
Smid likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just to add to this. If the Amex plat is in a company name, then all insurances are good, even if you make payment on a Visa or Mc.
crazy8534 and Smid like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
It's a personal one, I did have the business one, but never trusted the cover (they took away the non-card use for personal one after I'd got the business one).

Thanks for the info, I'm covered. Woot.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by flarmip
There isn't actually a requirement for the Amex Platinum to be used for the Platinum Travel Insurance's cancellation provisions to kick in. You merely need to use an Amex card whose account is in your name.

The relevant term is as follows:

So in essence you need to have used the "Card". That is defined as:

And "Account" is defined as:

So as you can see, there is nothing that requires the card used to be your Platinum one. It merely needs to be an Amex UK card in your name.
Not entirely sure about that interpretation, it’s messy wording so looks potentially arguable. But in any case, for future reference OP and others, you can definitely use your Amex Plat (rather than BA Amex) to pay for a 241 booking.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Not entirely sure about that interpretation, it’s messy wording so looks potentially arguable. But in any case, for future reference OP and others, you can definitely use your Amex Plat (rather than BA Amex) to pay for a 241 booking.
Doesn't really seem messy to me - the key bit "Your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express in the UK" clearly envisages multiple cards and makes no mention of any of these needing to be Platinum cards. Any such restriction would have to be clearly stated to be effective.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I especially asked AXA insurance once if I am covered by the Platinum insurance when paying a flight with another AMEX and yes, the other AMEX 'only needs to be in your name' for the AMEX Plat insurance to kick in. I have it in writing. We talk about UK AMEX cards.
davidcamp6 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:24 am

Doesn't really seem messy to me
If you don't think the wording quoted in your post is messy then I really hope your job isn't in customer comms.

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong, just that it's far from obvious.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
If you don't think the wording quoted in your post is messy then I really hope your job isn't in customer comms.

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong, just that it's far from obvious.
Oh well yes, they could clearly make it more obvious that it's what they mean, but if you read what the definitions are that Amex has chosen to use, I can't see any other logical conclusion. And above another poster has said they have it in writing that Amex agree.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I especially asked AXA insurance once if I am covered by the Platinum insurance when paying a flight with another AMEX and yes, the other AMEX 'only needs to be in your name' for the AMEX Plat insurance to kick in. I have it in writing. We talk about UK AMEX cards.
Same here, found out when I went to get the download of the cover summary for flying during Covid and called them first- Plat and BA plus Amex, one in my name as sole trader, one personal.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:18 pm

Doesn't really seem messy to me - the key bit "Your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express in the UK" clearly envisages multiple cards and makes no mention of any of these needing to be Platinum cards. Any such restriction would have to be clearly stated to be effective.
Unfortunately the wording is messy - to Amex

When making a claim for trip cancellation, I was told (by Amex) that I could not include the BA flights, as I paid for them on the BA Premiun Plus Amex card, not my Platinum card - citing those exact T&Cs, but interpreting them differently.

Amex eventually agreed with my interpretation, but it was too late, as I had to take a voucher for the BA flight, thinking I might not get paid out by Amex.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by zen100
Unfortunately the wording is messy - to Amex

When making a claim for trip cancellation, I was told (by Amex) that I could not include the BA flights, as I paid for them on the BA Premiun Plus Amex card, not my Platinum card - citing those exact T&Cs, but interpreting them differently.

Amex eventually agreed with my interpretation, but it was too late, as I had to take a voucher for the BA flight, thinking I might not get paid out by Amex.
Today I got a settlement from AXA for a trip cancellation paid by BA Amex using the Platinum Insurance. Probably you had a bad case handler.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.