Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TLV flights to change to shorthaul aircraft; TPs change (reduce) from 30 Mar 2025

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TLV flights to change to shorthaul aircraft; TPs change (reduce) from 30 Mar 2025

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by PLeblond
Oh Lord no, of course not. That ship has sailed. I was referring to wide-body service

And yes, spend based earning is on the horizon. To quote Agent Smith: "That is the sound of inevitability [[color=#202124]...] Goodbye, Mr. Anderson".
no it is not on the horizon at all it would not really work at BA with the many variables to contend with and the demographic of customers and the huge customer based. spend based earning benefits very few people and should not be introduced unlike the US we do not have such credit card schemes
australienne likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'd personally be staggered if this didnt change once the Israeli economy is back to full strength, and once tourism numbers rebound.
I think it's fairly obvious why BA are downgrading the route, but I'd expect this to be temporary - 12 months perhaps.
In terms of the VS comparison, it's worth remembering VS don't own any shorthaul aircraft, so you're not exactly comparing apples & oranges anymore.
Additionally, and perhaps a positive (albeit off-topic), it frees up a couple of long-haul aircraft to be sent to new destinations.
M
I Tend to agree, Been visiting Israel 3-4 times a year over the last 5-10 years and the BA services always felt full in every cabin, the fares LHR-TLV -LHR felt comparable to somewhere like Boston which i guess is one of the closest distance long haul routes.
There was always a lot of connecting traffic to and from the US, so i dont know how that worked out financially for BA.

One potential problem is that if your a regular on this route in club and they don't specifically advise the change before travel, they could end up with a huge amount of bad feeling that would be repair.
davidcamp6 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'd personally be staggered if this didnt change once the Israeli economy is back to full strength, and once tourism numbers rebound.

I think it's fairly obvious why BA are downgrading the route, but I'd expect this to be temporary - 12 months perhaps.

In terms of the VS comparison, it's worth remembering VS don't own any shorthaul aircraft, so you're not exactly comparing apples & oranges anymore.

Additionally, and perhaps a positive (albeit off-topic), it frees up a couple of long-haul aircraft to be sent to new destinations.

M
Agreed. Looks as though VS are out altogether until September though
DXB2745 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stewaran
I Tend to agree, Been visiting Israel 3-4 times a year over the last 5-10 years and the BA services always felt full in every cabin, the fares LHR-TLV -LHR felt comparable to somewhere like Boston which i guess is one of the closest distance long haul routes.
There was always a lot of connecting traffic to and from the US, so i dont know how that worked out financially for BA.

One potential problem is that if your a regular on this route in club and they don't specifically advise the change before travel, they could end up with a huge amount of bad feeling that would be repair.
Regarding the advice of the change, to be fair to BA, for my two current bookings I have received a quite comprehensive email. The emails explains the changes, acknowledges the differences and offers a 40% refund of the ticket cost. So, whatever other issues there are, bad feeling about not being told should not be one of them.

It's disappointing for sure and I was coincidentally looking at a couple of trips to the US late this year starting in Tel Aviv that have doubled in price for Premium Economy but with only Economy between London and Tel Aviv so I will have to think again about those options! Maybe prices will settle down over the coming weeks and we will get a better idea of where BA are intending to pitch their pricing longer term.

BONDY
davidcamp6 and DXB2745 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by gpp1
Agreed. Looks as though VS are out altogether until September though
How do you make that out,? They are using a similar timescale to BA for resuming flights, they have just ended their daytime flights from LHR and reduced their schedule to link in with Delta so pax can easily get to the rebellious colonies.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:49 am

TLV was shorthaul back in the 90s when Euro 767s were used. Club and Euro Traveller were offered a full hot meal service and IFE was available (although on monitors throughout the cabin rather than seatback). And Cairo was a 747 route. TLV moved to 777s and longhaul cabins in the late 90s and also included a daily LGW 777/DC10 service for some time.

Although people moan about BA on the Cairo and Amman sectors, the flights are full. Im not sure why you would fly on an A320 on these longer sectors if the competition offers wide bodied aircraft. 5hrs on a BA Neo will be truly awful.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:46 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid Platinum, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by stewaran
They have already generated a huge amount of bad feeling. They are going to lose a shed load of very heavy clients (there are a huge number of weekly commuters from London to Tel Aviv, 90% in business class and Premium Economy, and many slightly less frequent ones, like every 2-4 weeks - like myself) and their main competitor on that route, ELAL, now have aircraft with an excellent business class (similar to Club Suits), Premium Economy at least as good as BA's - some say better, and excellent crews. This is not the ELAL I abandoned for BA 9 years ago! They will have a very difficult time regaining that lost custom once it has moved elsewhere. Most of the regulars I know will be lost to BA forever.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
Originally Posted by mikebg
Most of the regulars I know will be lost to BA forever.
I really want to echo what mikebg is saying. I've flown BA at least monthly for 10 years on this route, often in premium cabins that were almost always sold-out.

For the last few months, all of my travel has moved to LY and it's been surprisingly good. So, I'm shocked if this route had poor economics, at least in the premium cabins, and I can't imagine that they want to start competing with Wizz and Ryanair instead of El Al and Virgin Atlantic.

I won't miss 2024 BA, but I'll miss the memory of what BA meant to me during 2013-2023.

Finally, I really hope that the full-time staff who work out of Israel, some of them for decades, aren't about to be shown the door.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
And its over 1,000 to sit in an economy club Europe seat on an A321 for 5 hours? You need to be very keen for the 140 TPs!
bafan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by 2358
And its over 1,000 to sit in an economy club Europe seat on an A321 for 5 hours? You need to be very keen for the 140 TPs!
DYKWIA, lsquare and 2358 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by stifle
even worse!
lsquare and masmadrid like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by expataus
Finally, I really hope that the full-time staff who work out of Israel, some of them for decades, aren't about to be shown the door.
Sadly, BA has been totally disengaging from virtually all markets except the US. Even many UK airports have almost completely lost local staff. Israel seemed a little secluded from this tendency for a while, but quite frankly, as much as I hate it, I can't imagine BA almost completely cutting ties with local staff in Israel too, and to be honest, in the US too before long.

Don't take me wrong, I very much dislike this choice of BA, but I just don't see any good reason why they wouldn't do in Israel what they have done elsewhere.

As for the broader point of whether the change will cost BA dearly or not, all I can say is if many of you who are indeed regular premium customers there are unhappy, then don't waste time writing about it - rather, vote with your feet once BA are back on the route. I have no doubt that BA will keep an eye on yields and loads. They will have not taken this decision lightly and they will have certain expectations as to what they will lose as a result of the proposed change and decided - at this stage at least - that this is the right move for them. If they see that the effect is much worse than they expected, they will certainly take notice.

I should add that I am less optimistic than msm2000uk on this being intended as a short term move. I completely agree on the fact that the change of equipment is due to the conjuncture and expected temporary decline in traffic, however, in my view, if this was intended as temporary for - say - one year or so, they would have indeed implemented the equipment change, but would have undoubtedly indicated that it was temporary (they don't), they would have alluded to the difficult current situation as a cause, and everybody would have understood it (instead, they mention the change as being in line with their other operations in the region), and they would not have bothered to reduce TP earnings, especially given the high proportion of very frequent flyers on the route which they realise perfectly well will be angry at such a move (why would you upset some of your best customers by temporarily reducing TP earnings for just a few months if you intend to return to long haul service and credit -- or indeed as noted elsewhere if you plan on replacing by a revenue system). This, in my view, has the hallmark of being intended as a durable decision.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 8, 2024 at 2:22 pm
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by orbitmic
You might not want to, thats certainly your prerogative, but as someone whos done countless Y transcon and Y long hauls, including on 18+ hour nonstop AKL-DOH flights, let me assure you that you can
It's painful...I flew SFO-SIN every week from September to December 2022 in Y. Not easy to do...

Originally Posted by Finland Station
Purely a defensive move by BA.

Fly CDG-AMM on RJ - get 140 TPs in business (because BA doesn't fly the route)
Fly LHR-AMM on RJ - get 80 TPs in business (because that's all you would get on BA).
😆😂🤣

​​​​​​​That's hilarious!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 2358
Looking at the fare buckets, there's nothing lower than D in Club (so 1274 return) and M in Traveller (650 return). These are relatively expensive buckets, without the sales to support it. So I would expect fares to go lower, if the market requires that. It's not unusual after flights are entered or reconfigured in the system.
orbitmic and 2358 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Looking at the fare buckets, there's nothing lower than D in Club (so 1274 return) and M in Traveller (650 return). These are relatively expensive buckets, without the sales to support it. So I would expect fares to go lower, if the market requires that. It's not unusual after flights are entered or reconfigured in the system.
Is it the case the BA flights will stop in LCA for a crew change?

Doc Copper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.