Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TLV flights to change to shorthaul aircraft; TPs change (reduce) from 30 Mar 2025

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TLV flights to change to shorthaul aircraft; TPs change (reduce) from 30 Mar 2025

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:14 am
Original Poster

When flights return.
Tier points updated from 1st May 2025
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:20 am

TLV Flights to become short haul and change of TPs

BA announced today that once they resume flying to Tel Aviv, it will be in narrow-body airplanes as part of their short-haul network. They will be offering offering two cabins on all services between Tel Aviv and London, Euro Traveller (economy) and Club Europe (business). Tier point accruals will change accordingly to 50% in lower booking classes and ~57% in higher booking classes. As for the date in which flight will resume, no major updates: flights are suspended until March 30 (inclusive) and they continue to monitor the situation.

Here is the full email text:

Dear Customer,

We wanted to get in touch to let you know that we’ve taken the decision to move Tel Aviv to our short-haul network when we resume flying to the region. This is in line with other similar-length flights we operate. If you’re due to fly with us on this route we will be in contact to let you know how this change may affect you.

As part of our short-haul network, we will be offering two cabins on all services between Tel Aviv and London, Euro Traveller (economy) and Club Europe (business). You can find out more about these cabins on our website at ba.com/travel-classes.
We also take this opportunity to provide you with notice in accordance with the Israeli Consumer Protection Law, 5571-1981 to a change of British Airways Executive Club Tier Points available on the Tel Aviv route, which will take effect for all flights taken on or after 30 March 2025.
Tier Points available on eligible flights between Tel Aviv and London Heathrow will be awarded as follows:
Type of ticket purchased Tier Point change*
Economy Lowest (Q, O, G) Current Tier Points earned : 20
Future Tier Points earned : 10

Economy Low (K, L, M, N, S, V) Current Tier Points earned : 35
Future Tier Points earned : 20

Economy Flexible (Y, B, H) Current Tier Points earned : 70
Future Tier Points earned : 40

Business Lowest (R, I) Current Tier Points earned : 140
Future Tier Points earned : 80

Business Flexible (J, C, D) Current Tier Points earned : 140
Future Tier Points earned : 80

*Current Tier Points will be earned on eligible flights taken on or before 29 March 2025.
Future Tier Points will be earned on eligible flights taken on or after 30 March 2025.

In the meantime, Tier Points will remain unchanged and can continue to be collected in the same way. For further details, please see the Avios Flight Calculator.

Safety is always our highest priority and following the latest assessment of the situation we’ve currently suspended our flights to and from Tel Aviv up to and including 30 March 2024. Our teams will continue to monitor the situation in the region closely and will contact affected customers should this date change.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience that this change may cause but look forward to welcoming you on board your next flight with British Airways.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
That's terrible news for BAEC members (and a huge win for VS and LY if they continue to offer full-service flights on that route). I can't really see the benefit of spending 5 hours in Club Europe if the competing carriers continue to offer lie-flat seating. Will help cull the ranks for GCH holders though.
BearX220, lsquare, the810 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:43 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
TLV has an extremely high concentration of very heavy flyers, and many GGLs. Very few of these will remain with BA after this change. ELAL is not what it used to be, and offers an excellent soft and hard product, and their recent deal with Delta opens up a vast connection network in the USA. Virgin also offers a good product, no less good than CW. What is strange is that BA were filling up 2 large aircraft every day of the week most of the year in all classes. How they will cope with moving that down to two small aircraft is anyone's guess, unless they are reckoning with losing a vast number of passengers. The cost conscious will probably move to the low cost alternatives. Unless they are deliberately trying to cut out TLV from their route map this seems to be a very strange move.

Last edited by mikebg; Feb 8, 2024 at 3:50 am
Old Feb 8, 2024, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
This is devastating. Also looks like they’re only planning to resume with 4 weekly flights if at all.
assuming prices will not change which is the worst part of it.
bafan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
This will almost certainly kill my GGL status, so I'm furious about this. I think the 4 times a week is only while the situation is unstable, but, as posted above, who wants to pay for a CE experience when LY and VS offer something so much better. I might fly RJ to Jordan and cross the land border...
lsquare, the810, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DominicB
but, as posted above, who wants to pay for a CE experience when LY and VS offer something so much better....
well that’s an open question because it depends of what pricing becomes. If ba downgrades the service and keep prices as they are, as you say, not many people will buy this o/d. If by contrast the change in service means alignment with the prices you can get on eg the LH group which often goes down to about €500 return in C to parts of Europe, it may attract a new customer basis. I think ba are also banking on much of the tlv traffic being connecting anyway notably to/from the us so from that point of view they probably don’t see a need to differentiate the product with their key European competitors almost all of which treat tlv as short haul and will keep doing so in the face of dominant lcc competition.

it’s really bad news for tlv based members and for those of us often flying to tlv with ba but not wholly surprising.

still I resent the fact that ba are self carving more and more exemptions to their own distance based rules be it at 2000 or 6000 cut offs.
lsquare, wrp96, eugnk and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Flights resume 1st April via Larnaca for a crew change.
momoflyingguy likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
This is a shame. I always thought this was likely to happen after BA did the same thing with flights to Cairo.

I have always wanted to visit Israel and had managed to snag seats in First using a 2-4-1 voucher for a trip back in 2020. Unfortunately Covid put paid to that trip and I never got around to booking it again.

Not sure I want to fly that distance in BA's short haul planes even in CE. Another sign BA is trying to compete with EasyJet rather than concentrate on having a much more comfortable superior service.

Also devastating for those who travel from Israel to the US via LHR. Who wants to do the first 5 hour sector in a shorthaul plane?
BA or bust, the810, wrp96 and 6 others like this.

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by orbitmic

still I resent the fact that ba are self carving more and more exemptions to their own distance based rules be it at 2000 or 6000 cut offs.
Hate to say this, but if earning becomes revenue based which my money remains firmly on, the distance rules are irrelevant.

I’ll be relocating to TLV again in a few months and was already thinking of switching to Flying Blue, as BA no longer serve a North American airport near my parents.

Been Gold for ten years, but this seals the deal on that decision.

A large portion of passengers on TLV services are connecting to North America. Five hours in Eurobusiness isn’t competitive.
RNdouble likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:23 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Hate to say this, but if earning becomes revenue based which my money remains firmly on, the distance rules are irrelevant.
Irrelevant for BA flights - likely to remain for partner flights as BA does not have insight into fares paid to OW partners.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:24 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Could it be that BA doesn't really want TLV any more, but politically it would be hard to just make a permanent cut right now, so they are just marginalizing the service and will let it wither away over time...?
HB7, oceanscape, DelTroon and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hasn’t this happened in the past? I have vague memories of TLV being short haul and much upset as a result.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:33 am

I seem to recall at one point it went full mid-haul on the ex-BMI narrow body fleet. Those aircraft featured real J seats however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.