Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TLV flights to change to shorthaul aircraft; TPs change (reduce) from 30 Mar 2025

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TLV flights to change to shorthaul aircraft; TPs change (reduce) from 30 Mar 2025

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
I recall all these anguished cries from when BA announced that it was curtailing the long haul service from CAI. "But cabins are full", "this is a mistake", "I won't fly BA now". And yet, BA did it. And they have not relented. The short haul service is now around 2 years old. Clearly BA feels that this is the right plane for the right route. They are the business; they have the data. As it happens, fares on the route did go down, probably reflecting the downgrade in product.

And now TLV is to get this treatment. I regret that. I'd rather see long haul equipment on flights to AMM, CAI and TLV (and probably LCA too for good measure). But the only hope to get BA to change tack, is to vote with your feet/wallets. It didn't happen with CAI. Perhaps TLV travellers will have more success. Good luck.
salut0, strowger, lsquare and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mikebg
Well, TLV is VERY different from that. I fly TLV-LHR-TLV at least once a month, in CW (pre-October 23). In F when available, often connecting to NYC in LHR. The cabins in BA to/from TLV are almost always packed full. It is usually difficult to get an I class fare weeks before. WT+ and WT are also usually very full. ELAL is also pretty full on that rioute as well. Now, if they were filling two 777s (and a mid haul 321 in the summer as well before they were scrapped) or a 777 and a 351 DAILY, I have no idea how the capacity reduction to two short haul flights per day will work out.

Insofar as recovery after the current "war" ends (and it really is "war" - there is no sensible reason not to be flying at the moment, it does not affect 99% of the country), it will not take time to pick up. As soon as there are flights, they will be snapped up.
I can remember flying in packed 788 and 789's to CAI too. I am not doubting the loadings on the LHR-TLV route, on the contrary, but I very much doubt A321's will fill up as long as VS and LY are flying wide-bodied jets.

And fare-buckets as currently manipulated by revenue management do not necessarily indicate route loadings. I have been on plenty of flights recently which were showing R0 I0 for weeks before departure and still left half empty. Perception is not always truth. BA has history of protecting premium prices but seem to be very slow to realise for that to work they really need a premium product.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I can remember flying in packed 788 and 789's to CAI too.
The RJ 787 is just fine up front.

This is a great shame. I don't think I can take five hours in Euro Traveller. Before the current difficulties in the region broke out last fall we had great plans for an AMM/TLV open jaw holiday tour. If / when we reattempt, it will be on AY or RJ from the US, bypassing LHR / BA altogether.
Tafflyer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BearX220

This is a great shame. I don't think I can take five hours in Euro Traveller. Before the current difficulties in the region broke out last fall we had great plans for an AMM/TLV open jaw holiday tour. If / when we reattempt, it will be on AY or RJ from the US, bypassing LHR / BA altogether.
That's what I said, but apparently, some people take offense to such language.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Absolutely, but not LHR-AMM where BA will now only award 80TP rather than the 140TP the distance would normally be entitled to.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Absolutely, but not LHR-AMM where BA will now only award 80TP rather than the 140TP the distance would normally be entitled to.
Even when flying RJ?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 8:59 am

I realise they want "flex" in cabin configuration, and that many choose BA over LY, like they choose BA or RJ/TK etc...* but given this surely must have led to reduced numbers (perhaps not profit given higher margins on a short-haul C sold at the same prices as when they flew l/h aircrafts) can't they at this stage introduce a medium-haul fleet? Destinations such as TLV, CAI, AMM, IST could warrant a dedicated cabin with eg 20 US F-style seats.

From the many threads on this board saying they can't price out eg KUL-SIN on BA.com I think alot of people only reference BA.com when booking initially so thus people still probably will book BA to these destinations.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I don't think I can take five hours in Euro Traveller.
You might not want to, thats certainly your prerogative, but as someone whos done countless Y transcon and Y long hauls, including on 18+ hour nonstop AKL-DOH flights, let me assure you that you can
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lsquare
Even when flying RJ?
yep thats been fixed for a while as per my post upthread.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGLfL
Originally Posted by orbitmic
yep thats been fixed for a while as per my post upthread.
Purely a defensive move by BA.

Fly CDG-AMM on RJ - get 140 TPs in business (because BA doesn't fly the route)
Fly LHR-AMM on RJ - get 80 TPs in business (because that's all you would get on BA).
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 9:53 am

That's what I said, but apparently, some people take offense to such language.
It may not be obvious if English isn't your first language but 'Shame on BA!' and 'This is a great shame' have very different meanings.
IggySD, Kgmm77, etiene and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:04 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'd personally be staggered if this didnt change once the Israeli economy is back to full strength, and once tourism numbers rebound.

I think it's fairly obvious why BA are downgrading the route, but I'd expect this to be temporary - 12 months perhaps.

In terms of the VS comparison, it's worth remembering VS don't own any shorthaul aircraft, so you're not exactly comparing apples & oranges anymore.

Additionally, and perhaps a positive (albeit off-topic), it frees up a couple of long-haul aircraft to be sent to new destinations.

M
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:48 am

Even when flying RJ?
Yes, I am afraid so. BA wouldn't let RJ have an advantage so they only award you 80TP for RJ on that sector too. CDG-AMM which is a little shorter still gets 140TP.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'd personally be staggered if this didnt change once the Israeli economy is back to full strength, and once tourism numbers rebound.

I think it's fairly obvious why BA are downgrading the route, but I'd expect this to be temporary - 12 months perhaps.

In terms of the VS comparison, it's worth remembering VS don't own any shorthaul aircraft, so you're not exactly comparing apples & oranges anymore.

Additionally, and perhaps a positive (albeit off-topic), it frees up a couple of long-haul aircraft to be sent to new destinations.

M
ex-CAI tickets were always at a very different price point to ex-TLV and that might be reasoning behind that change and the current situation might be behind the TLV change. If that is the case, fine, but I am more suspicious. If BA can get away with running A321's, passenger numbers as well as fares remain high, I suspect it might stay this way.

As for long-haul aircraft becoming available, I understood that BA had a general shortfall of airframes anyway. Those A321's will need to come from somewhere too, so expect changes on other routes to makes these available. Swings and roundabouts.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Hate to say this, but if earning becomes revenue based which my money remains firmly on, the distance rules are irrelevant.
the distance rules are not irrelevant and why does this keep being brought up nothing at all to suggest it will go spend based and no reason for it to do so loyalty schemes are about keeping customers loyal rewarding only the rich who seldom fly BA does not do that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.