Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TLV flights to change to shorthaul aircraft; TPs change (reduce) from 30 Mar 2025

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TLV flights to change to shorthaul aircraft; TPs change (reduce) from 30 Mar 2025

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I seem to recall at one point it went full mid-haul on the ex-BMI narrow body fleet. Those aircraft featured real J seats however.
Yes not long ago - 2017ish?
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:15 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
TLV is normally full in CW business, the effect of this is a real kick in the teeth. This summer VS are only scheduling the night flight and the very early morning return from TLV. So the only airline with reasonable return flight times to LHR with proper business class is LY.
No point in keeping the BA PP Amex or worrying about status...Ill just use up the 300K avios I have, hope VS do reasonable timings next year or shift to LY.
momoflyingguy and RNdouble like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Brings it in line with the rest of the region. AMM is Short Haul for BA but Long Haul for RJ... Why should TLV be any different?
Arctic Troll, Ramos and DXB2745 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Yes not long ago - 2017ish?
A bit earlier, I think. I last lived in TLV from 2016 and by then it was double daily longhaul, with the third summer service on the 321.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:21 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid Platinum, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
BA to TLV is usually pretty full in ALL classes. In fact, moving from 777 or 351 to 788/9 reduced the capacity sign ificantly, and made it far harder to get seats at short notice. These changes will mean an further MASSIVE reduction in capacity. Seems like suicide to me. I bet ELAL and Virgin are celebrating.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:25 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by BLHD
Brings it in line with the rest of the region. AMM is Short Haul for BA but Long Haul for RJ... Why should TLV be any different?
Because you don't improve things by dumming down, AMM and Cairo perhaps should be CW too.
salut0, sixela73, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid Platinum, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BLHD
In one word: competition. BA are going to lose out big time to ELAL and Virgin. Having flown ELAL a few times recently, I discovered that they have changed beyond recognition from what they were 9 years ago when I moved from them to BA. They must be popping the champagne!
tedcruz and RNdouble like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
This change is ridiculous. As someone who flies to TLV often, it is bye-bye BA and hello LY. BA has also increased the prices in economy from a normal 180 HBO ticket to 285.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by tedcruz
This change is ridiculous. As someone who flies to TLV often, it is bye-bye BA and hello LY. BA has also increased the prices in economy from a normal 180 HBO ticket to 285.
LY will increase their prices as demand will go up, supply staying the same. BA will still be cheaper on most one stop routes to the US.

Many people (me included) wont fly LY due to the frequent BS causing delays over who can sit next to whom.
masmadrid likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:40 am

I guess they would rather commit the widebody aircraft elsewhere - especially given the A380 situation.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:46 am

We got lucky, since we have WT+ tkts for April and June and Hubby cant fit in 30" pitch and thats what CW will be unless they use the AC with flat beds, thought wed have to file with US DOT to get a Refund which it seems BA isnt keen on doing. Our Luck, in both months the LHR-TLV flight has been CXed on our booked dates = getting a Refund should be an option w/o getting DOT involved

A pity as we have flown BA the last 3x and enjoyed the flights
Old Feb 8, 2024, 5:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by strowger
I guess they would rather commit the widebody aircraft elsewhere - especially given the A380 situation.
Expect a new US destination soon... that's where they make the money!
Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by expataus
That's terrible news for BAEC members (and a huge win for VS and LY if they continue to offer full-service flights on that route). I can't really see the benefit of spending 5 hours in Club Europe if the competing carriers continue to offer lie-flat seating. Will help cull the ranks for GCH holders though.
This is indeed terrible news! Shame on BA for doing this!
Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:07 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by strowger
This.

No decision in an airline's route allotment is made in a silo. Availability of aircraft is a zero sum game. Perhaps their forecasts indicate that the return to higher load levels on that route will be gradual after service resumes and other routes will generate more revue in the interim. And when the market conditions change wide-body could be resumed.
TTmex, DXB2745 and RNdouble like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by orbitmic
well thats an open question because it depends of what pricing becomes. If ba downgrades the service and keep prices as they are, as you say, not many people will buy this o/d. If by contrast the change in service means alignment with the prices you can get on eg the LH group which often goes down to about 500 return in C to parts of Europe, it may attract a new customer basis. I think ba are also banking on much of the tlv traffic being connecting anyway notably to/from the us so from that point of view they probably dont see a need to differentiate the product with their key European competitors almost all of which treat tlv as short haul and will keep doing so in the face of dominant lcc competition.

its really bad news for tlv based members and for those of us often flying to tlv with ba but not wholly surprising.

still I resent the fact that ba are self carving more and more exemptions to their own distance based rules be it at 2000 or 6000 cut offs.
Pretty soon, none of BA's rules will make sense if there are many exceptions.

Originally Posted by PLeblond
This. No decision in an airline's route allotment is made in a silo. Availability of aircraft is a zero sum game. Perhaps their forecasts indicate that the return to higher load levels on that route will be gradual after service resumes and other routes will generate more revue in the interim. And when the market conditions change wide-body could be resumed.
I doubt TPs will go back to 2024 level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.