Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stewaran
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning youll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

You will get a 1 time points credit 14 days after your year end with the TP you earnt from 1 april upto your previous year end.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the doubled TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2024, 2:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Thanks scottishpoet for the fulsome reply. Mind at rest. I think I was just completely thrown by the zero TPs on the four partner flights, which looked like an error.

I hope others read the thread more carefully than I!
Hopefully it helps, there is always the possibility that something goes wrong, it would be great if you can report back in the next week or so and let us know what happened.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Thanks scottishpoet for the fulsome reply. Mind at rest. I think I was just completely thrown by the zero TPs on the four partner flights, which looked like an error.

I hope others read the thread more carefully than I!
I was going to ask something similar. Currently Silver on 0 TPs from April, with nothing booked until next year. My year end is September but I have 1240 TPs booked October-December. I was wondering whether the points accrued from April 24 to end of my year would be added at the end of the 'new' year, in which case I'd need to get the remaining 260 from September for me to hit Gold when I reach 1500. Sounds like anything earned will be added mid September, which gives me more options.
Old May 15, 2024, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
I was going to ask something similar. Currently Silver on 0 TPs from April, with nothing booked until next year. My year end is September but I have 1240 TPs booked October-December. I was wondering whether the points accrued from April 24 to end of my year would be added at the end of the 'new' year, in which case I'd need to get the remaining 260 from September for me to hit Gold when I reach 1500. Sounds like anything earned will be added mid September, which gives me more options.
your points will be credited to the new year around 14 days after it starts, so for a September year end you will see your account for the "short" year will say 0 on September 9th and then a one time credit around September 22nd to add what was accrued from April 1st to September 8th.

You should be sent an email about this around August 21st
gustavmahler likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 7:09 am

Programs: One World Emerald
Good afternoon all,

Asking for a friend as he doesnt have an account on here and I feel I mislead him with my guidance.

His anniversary year ends on 08.11., and hasnt yet received the e-mail relevant to his account. Dropped down to bronze but managed to accrue 600+ TPs few days ago and was expecting that the validity of the status would be till April 2026, however in his accounts it states December 2025. I kept telling him to try and reach Silver after 01.04 in order to have status till April 2026. Have I mislead him or it is an error and he needs to contact BAEC?

I will also use the opportunity and ask for myself. Currently Gold with anniversary on 08.06. Few hundred TPs short to keep G* and not time to do TP runs so will unfortunately drop to Silver. When should my status expire?

Thank you in advance.
Old May 16, 2024, 8:07 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by mambotaxi
Are there still no updates on how GUFs are going to be allocated during the transition? I'm about to hit 2500 and 3500 TP within the next month on my previous collection year (September reset date) and under the new Apr-Mar system it'll be 2500 during June and 3500 during July/Aug (all within my crossover dates)
You'll get the GUFs for your current year as usual. When you hit your new year your points will zero. Then two weeks later points from April 1 will be added in. If this gets you above 2500 or 3500 then I would expect gufs to be awarded then although we don't have any confirmation of this yet.

The main difference for the carryover balance is that those points will not count for lifetime tierpoints. It's possible BA won't award gufs on the carryover balance either, but since they are awarding status based on it that would be an odd thing to not include GUFs and people who accumulate the most tierpoints will moan most strongly I'm sure.
Old May 16, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
Thanks to the upthread contributors here, I just pulled firstlight's post out to reply to as I had all these similar questions..

Originally Posted by firstlight
When you hit your new year your points will zero. Then two weeks later points from April 1 will be added in.
Will make sure to report a data point in a week or so as I was a May 8 year end.

The main difference for the carryover balance is that those points will not count for lifetime tierpoints.
That makes some logical sense not to double count

It's possible BA won't award gufs on the carryover balance either, but since they are awarding status based on it that would be an odd thing to not include GUFs and people who accumulate the most tierpoints will moan most strongly I'm sure.
Not counting for GUFs seems a bit harsh if so when, as you say, they apply to that year's status. We'll see. And while below the 10k p.a. of many on here, yes I probably would mither!
Old May 16, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by IHateLHR
Thanks to the upthread contributors here, I just pulled firstlight's post out to reply to as I had all these similar questions..

Will make sure to report a data point in a week or so as I was a May 8 year end.

That makes some logical sense not to double count

Not counting for GUFs seems a bit harsh if so when, as you say, they apply to that year's status. We'll see. And while below the 10k p.a. of many on here, yes I probably would mither!
We will see later on in the year as at the moment April / May year ends won't likely have accumulated significant tier points to carry over. Once we get to June/July year ends then some of the heavy hitters (and I think BA can only have a handful of flyers who do 10K+ TPs a year) will see instant GUFs and requalification events based on the carry over points. For me, as an August year end the carryover is only going to be somewhere about 1500-1600 TPs.
Old May 17, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Shorter Collection Year - should I expect a decrease of TPs?

Dear FTs,
I thought I understood from some BA comms and skimming through a few posts here that the TP will be decreased (or won't start at 0) given the collection timeframe is shorter now.
My account reset in May 8 (at 2480 TP - a shame I could not achieve the companion voucher) to 0 (zero) TP but ends in March (like everyone else).

Is this the expectation?
Thanks for the help here.

Cheers!
Old May 17, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Deleted link after merge

Any TP you earned between 1 April 2024 and 8 May 2024 will be added to anything you will earn between 9 May 2024 and 30 March 2025.
Circusplaza likes this.

Last edited by aks120; May 17, 2024 at 10:44 am Reason: Deleted link after merge!
Old May 17, 2024, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Circusplaza
Dear FTs,
I thought I understood from some BA comms and skimming through a few posts here that the TP will be decreased (or won't start at 0) given the collection timeframe is shorter now.
My account reset in May 8 (at 2480 TP - a shame I could not achieve the companion voucher) to 0 (zero) TP but ends in March (like everyone else).

Is this the expectation?
Thanks for the help here.

Cheers!
you have misunderstood,

you still needs the same number of points, but anything you gained from April 1st til may 8th will count for the new short year

effectively the year is April 1st 24 to march 31st 25

much more detail here where I suspect this thread will get moved to

Old May 17, 2024, 10:17 am

Might have missed it.. and anybody missing Tier points earned just before May year en

Apologies if I have missed it but how long before tier points earned between 1st April. And May get credited to new tier year?

Also I earned enough tier points Week before May year end to get gold status, however these are 'missing' even though I made a claim and also put in a complaint before year end but nothing,has this happened to anyone else?
Old May 17, 2024, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
you have misunderstood,

you still needs the same number of points, but anything you gained from April 1st til may 8th will count for the new short year

effectively the year is April 1st 24 to march 31st 25

much more detail here where I suspect this thread will get moved to

Thanks! I said above TP will decrease (or won't start at 0)... I think now I read I will get added (at some points) the TP I have obtained now from 1st April to 8th May.
A pity because I had to cancel my F trip from DFW to LHR
Old May 17, 2024, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Any TP you earned between 1 April 2024 and 8 May 2024 will be added to anything you will earn between 9 May 2024 and 30 March 2025.

The main thread with all the info and calculation about the change is ** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **
Thanks!!
Old May 17, 2024, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Circusplaza
Thanks! I said above TP will decrease (or won't start at 0)... I think now I read I will get added (at some points) the TP I have obtained now from 1st April to 8th May.
A pity because I had to cancel my F trip from DFW to LHR
as a may 8th renewal you were sent an email around April 21st telling you when the points from April 1st to may 8th will be credited to the new, short year

In the last few days, I have posted roughly that email in the thread referenced earlier

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36233182-post1094.html

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 17, 2024 at 12:20 pm
Old May 20, 2024, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Marriott GfL
Datapoint to share - looks like the Tier Point adjustment for my May 8th year end posted today (20th May) this is all the TP that I was expecting from flights and BHA bonus tier points. It is reporting that I still need 4 flights for renewal so the flights that I took in April have not (yet?) counted towards requalification.

mikeyfly and SavvyTravel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.