Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2024, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: crazy8534
BA FAQ : Tier Point collection changes | Executive Club | British Airways

What is happening?

British Airways are changing the TP collection year (also known as the BA Executive Club Year) so that everyone will have an expiry of 31st March going forward.
Their email states:

From next year, your Tier status will reset at the same time as everyone else's, meaning you’ll have the same Tier Point collection year as friends and family who are also members of the Executive Club.
In future, the Tier Point collection year will start on 1 April and end on 31 March every year. The change will be in place for all British Airways Executive Club Members starting from 1 April 2025.

How will this affect my current year?

You will earn and achieve/retain status as per the current set-up until the end of your current TP year.
e.g. If you have achieved or expect to achieve 1500TPs before the end of your current TP year (8th of a month) you will retain or be promoted to Gold status.

How will this affect the subsequent year?

Your next TP earning year will be SHORTER and will end on 31st March 2025.
You will have between the start of your next TP earning year and 31st March 2025 to earn the required number of TPs to attain or retain status.
e.g. if you are Gold you need to get 1500TPs between 8th October 2024 and 31st March 2025.

HOWEVER: BA will add all of the TPs that you earn between 1st April 2024 and the end of your current membership year (in the case above 8th October 2024) to next year's total.
This means that your target for TP earning in the year [Start of year something 8th of a month] 24- 31st March 25 will be your normal target (e.g. 1500TPs) MINUS whatever you earned from 1st April 2024 until the end of your current year.
Effectively, you should consider 1st April 2024 as the new start of your next TP earning year for TP collection purposes.

Status earned in the new (next) year will be valid until end of April 2026.

How will my current status card expiry date be affected?

BA have confirmed that it will NOT be affected.
i.e. if you have Silver status with a card expiry of 31st December 2025 (having already achieved silver renewal since 8th November 2023) this will not be affected.
If you subsequently drop to Bronze status then this will expire 30th April 2026.

Will I be able to double-dip (use the April 24 - TP collection year end date TPs twice) for Lifetime TPs?

No

Will I be able to double-dip for GUFs etc.?

I don't think we know yet.

If I earn TPs in the Amex TP offer between 1st April and 21st May 2024 (when the offer expires) will these count in the double-dip?

We believe that the answer to this is yes.

Has the 'grace' period for status reduced?

Yes.
Whereas it used to be until the end of the month following your year end (i.e. if you had a year ending 8th October you would be Gold with a card valid until 30th November) everyone will now have a card that is valid until 30th April.
Just under 2 months 'grace' has decreased to just under 1 month.

What about GGL status retention?

BA have confirmed that you must achieve 3000TP, during your SHORTENED/transition year (with the addition of the ‘doubled’ TPs from April 1st 2024) in order to maintain continuous GGL membership. If you fail to do so your GGL status will expire at the date of card expiry from your last 8-8th year (even though this may be as late as 30th April 2026) and you would need to requalify at 5000TPs again.

This has particular implications for those who may be earning a significant number of TPs in February and March 2024 as these will not be counted into the SHORTENED/transition year.

Worked example (crazy8534)?

crazy8534's current status/TP earning year ends 8th June 2024.
He has already renewed GGL status so has a card that will expire with GGL status on 31st July 2025.
He will earn 2000TPs between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024.

His TP year will reset on 8th June 2024 and he will have 0TPs.
BA will then add the TPs that he has earned between 1st April 2024 and 8th June 2024 to his current year total (but not his lifetime total), giving him 2000TPs for the year 24/25.
He will need to earn another 1000TPs between 8th June 2024 and 31st March 2025 to renew GGL.
If he renews GGL then his new status will last until 30th April 2026.

If he fails to renew GGL status before 31st March 2025 then it will still last until 31st July 2025 (as per his current card).
He will then fall to either Gold (if earned >1500TPs) or Silver (if earned <1500TPs) until 30th April 2026.

Print Wikipost

** BA ANNOUNCEMENT : all Tier Point collection years to start 1st April **

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
Your grace period is reduced by 4 weeks (current 7 weeks is cut to 4 weeks) so your ability to access lounges, fast track etc is reduced.
that would be quite the most bizarre reason to do the change.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:23 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal
I am guessing this is about simplifying the underlying IT/making it less bespoke. Makes it easier to use off the shelf solutions for other upgrades and integrate with other products.

Who knows whether it will all work but it’s very likely this is the motivation.
This was my first thought too. Probably required as part of the upcoming IT changes. And, to be fair, it will be easier to communicate to members too.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
April 1st 2025 is the date from which all changes to BAEC can be rolled out across the whole scheme with equal effect.

That is the obvious point to start revenue based earning, same for everyone.

if you’re looking for a reason, look no further than that. And if close to gfl, I’d be looking to complete earning by then.
is aligning year ends an essential precursor to revenue based? i don't know enought about other FFPs, but was this something other FFPs did prior to changing to revenue bases, like AA or AY? or do other revenue based FFPs have unaligned earning years?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:24 am

I must admit, I was not expecting this change on a Monday morning...

However, I am struggling to get my head around status earned this year. My collection year runs until Jan 8th. As I understand it they will count all flights from 1st April 24 to 31st March 25 in the next collection year as well (9th Jan 2025 to 31st March 2025).

By chance (mostly because Easter is early this year), I have flights booked in March this year which will earn 440 TPs. With the rest of my planned travel, I will earn enough to renew gold by the end of my old collection period (Jan 8th). However, without the TPs earned in March and looking at the same period next year I will fall short of gold in the new period (1st April 2024 to 31st March 2025). Does that mean that the gold renewal from this year will only be valid until 1st May 2025?
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Does this not mean -
  • Any Tier status you receive during the transition period will expire on 30 April 2026

... that everyone will keep their status until 30 April 2026?

ie - whatever you have at next anniversary date during this year and next, whether it is retained Gold or if you soft land to Silver or Bronze, you keep that status until 30 April 2026? This means nobody is actually losing any months of status, correct?

Arsey00 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
There is nothing in what you quoted to support this assumption!
We shall need to disagree on that. The FAQ clearly states that there will be no change to:
  • Your current Tier status
  • The benefits you receive according to your Tier status
  • The way you can renew or upgrade your status during your Tier Point collection period ending on or before 8 March 2025
Since a year ending Sep 8th 2024 meets that criteria, it would fall under the "no change". Yes, strictly speaking, the mechanism of renewal is different from the length of status awarded, however, my reading is nothing is changing for those people. A shortening of your current Tier status would most certainly be a change.

Let me turn the question around - what information is there to suggest that such an expiry date, previously October 31st 2025 would be shortened to April 30th 2025?
Arsey00 and crazy8534 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
One thing is that is will be potentially much more difficult for any new joiner to earn status in their first year as the only people who would have 12 months to do so would be those whose new account opened in April.
Everyone else would have a reduced time period.
Not a massive change but certainly something.

Originally Posted by Freightman
I must admit, I was not expecting this change on a Monday morning...

However, I am struggling to get my head around status earned this year. My collection year runs until Jan 8th. As I understand it they will count all flights from 1st April 24 to 31st March 25 in the next collection year as well (9th Jan 2025 to 31st March 2025).

By chance (mostly because Easter is early this year), I have flights booked in March this year which will earn 440 TPs. With the rest of my planned travel, I will earn enough to renew gold by the end of my old collection period (Jan 8th). However, without the TPs earned in March and looking at the same period next year I will fall short of gold in the new period (1st April 2024 to 31st March 2025). Does that mean that the gold renewal from this year will only be valid until 1st May 2025?
Correct, you will need to earn 440TPs in your (shortened) membership year next year (Jan to April) if you want to re-qualify as Gold.
I can see that depending on patterns this year it will be a potential black hole for some people.
pmcbeagle likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Let me turn the question around - what information is there to suggest that such an expiry date, previously October 31st 2025 would be shortened to April 30th 2025?
.... because my status runs for my current membership year and my next membership year, and my next membership year now ends 6 months earlier, on 30th April 2025.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Bronze
This is very annoying for me.. Planned on getting silver in October/November this year after my 8th October year end which was supposed to give me silver for two years. Now only would be for a year and a half... Rather than Nov 2026 it now would be April 2026..
Fruitcake and Jeffek like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:29 am

.... because my status runs for my current membership year and my next membership year, and my next membership year now ends 6 months earlier, on 30th April 2025.
Yeah but it's written everywhere that during the transition, you will all have status until 30 April 2026. That means an extension, surely.

You retain Gold in September, but it then runs to 30 April 2026.

No loss.
Arsey00 and ilegalnyj like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Does this not mean -
  • Any Tier status you receive during the transition period will expire on 30 April 2026

... that everyone will keep their status until 30 April 2026?

ie - whatever you have at next anniversary date during this year and next, whether it is retained Gold or if you soft land to Silver or Bronze, you keep that status until 30 April 2026? This means nobody is actually losing any months of status, correct?

I read that to mean, only the TP you earn between 1st April 2024 to 31st March 2025 will last until 2026.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:31 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by KARFA
is aligning year ends an essential precursor to revenue based? i don't know enought about other FFPs, but was this something other FFPs did prior to changing to revenue bases, like AA or AY? or do other revenue based FFPs have unaligned earning years?
I think BA was one of the last with unaligned years (I don't know all FFPs but the few I'm a member of).

Aligning year ends with IAG's financial year definitely makes reporting easier. Whether we like it or not, BA have slowly been signalling that revenue-based status is on the way. They've changed it for Avios earning, they're handing out TPs for Amex spend, I think the writing is on the wall.
Markie, Kgmm77, KARFA and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by lgladdy
I read that to mean, only the TP you earn between 1st April 2024 to 31st March 2025 will last until 2026.
No, because it says any status you earn will be valid through to 30 April 2026.

Since my next status "earn" will be my renewal of Gold / downgrade to Silver on 8 June, I will have that status until 30 April 2026. This would make sense not to penalise anyone. If I then earn enough to go up to Gold / GGL, it will also run through to then.

That's how I read it.

And would make sense as BA would not want people to lose months of status due to this change, as people would be up in arms as some already seem to be
Arsey00 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
April 1st 2025 is the date from which all changes to BAEC can be rolled out across the whole scheme with equal effect.

That is the obvious point to start revenue based earning, same for everyone.

if you’re looking for a reason, look no further than that. And if close to gfl, I’d be looking to complete earning by then.
All inline with my first thoughts too.
Old Feb 5, 2024, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Yeah but it's written everywhere that during the transition, you will all have status until 30 April 2026. That means an extension, surely.

You retain Gold in September, but it then runs to 30 April 2026.

No loss.
No. Take a July year end and start as a nobody. In your new TP year (i.e. after 9 July 2024) you pick up 600 TPs for Silver. You should have been Silver until 8 July 2026 (rest of year and all of next). Instead you will only be Silver until 30 April 2026.

Make it November instead of July and some people are really getting short-changed...
Markie and BA or bust like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.