Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thursday 9 May update

BA179 JFK

Friday 10 May 2024

Cancellations today
BA790 GOT
BA285 SFO = A380 aircraft

BA179 - TECY - engine issue

BA790 TECY - a few overnight SH aircraft casualties

BA285 - FCRY
Old May 10, 2024, 6:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sigwx
BA285 - FCRY
Slightly amusing to see another A380 flight crew issue - we have the aircraft, we don't have the staff.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 6:32 am

Slightly amusing to see another A380 flight crew issue - we have the aircraft, we don't have the staff.
Its a bit like Precious of Stanstead who had all
the coffee and all the milk, but no cups.

That said as a Boeing man I would also be too ashamed to show up and have to fly it.
Old May 10, 2024, 11:26 am

What's going on with BA 93 to YYZ, for it to be so horrendously late today (Friday, May 10)?
(which in turn pushes back the return flight BA 92).
Old May 10, 2024, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by crawlyyz
What's going on with BA 93 to YYZ, for it to be so horrendously late today (Friday, May 10)?
(which in turn pushes back the return flight BA 92).
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.

Yes that is an odd one. It closed up at the gate (T5B 34) about 40 minutes late at 14:00 hrs and yet it had a 19:00 hrs departure time, now missed, and no departure. This tends to end in cancellation territory but I am wondering if there is more to this one. It was an A351 tailsign G-XWBH.
Old May 10, 2024, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum.

Yes that is an odd one. It closed up at the gate (T5B 34) about 40 minutes late at 14:00 hrs and yet it had a 19:00 hrs departure time, now missed, and no departure. This tends to end in cancellation territory but I am wondering if there is more to this one. It was an A351 tailsign G-XWBH.
BA93 is now delayed overnight, departing tomorrow at an early time of 11:00 hrs. And operating tomorrow back from Lester Pearson in the evening. Aircraft switched to G-XWBD, which is coming in from Cape Town this evening, so I think that's a big clue (ie. TECY). The other service is already over the Atlantic, so BA99 out and BA98,back to LHR, so that is running to plan, all seats blocked.
Old May 10, 2024, 2:46 pm

BAs app still has flight 92 departing today, yet their emails say theyve decided to delay the departure of your flight to London Heathrow overnight.

Not sure if that means my overnight flight is delayed and will still depart later today or if its departing tomorrow and the app is somehow wrong.
Old May 10, 2024, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Titan5
BAs app still has flight 92 departing today, yet their emails say theyve decided to delay the departure of your flight to London Heathrow overnight.

Not sure if that means my overnight flight is delayed and will still depart later today or if its departing tomorrow and the app is somehow wrong.
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. As mentioned in the post just above, your service is delayed until Saturday. I hope it doesn't cause too many problems, but by all means ring BA if you want more confirmation.
Old May 10, 2024, 3:28 pm

They told me to ignore the app. Then a few minutes later the flight got cancelled. Rebooked onto something more convenient so it worked out in the end.

Is this kind of incorrect info in the app common, and I need to speak to a human to get accurate information in the event of disruption?

I nearly went to the airport based on what the app was telling me and the unclear emails.
Old May 10, 2024, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

The app uses a cache, and though it will update eventually, it can cause issues of this sort in the short term, it's not very responsive. Just check in this forum, or log out of the app and re-enter your password to load up the updated booking.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:23 pm

2 hours seems long for a cache on departure time. At least now I know the app cant be trusted.

The email suggests the inbound went mechanical
Old May 11, 2024, 1:19 am

BA 2540 - LGW - Amsterdam 8th May 7.40am flight cancelled

Wednesday 8 May 2024

There is a VIS2 event on at the moment - presumably morning haze - so Regulation is set at a fairly tough 33/60 until 10:00 hrs, and this is causing extended holds - some over 40 minutes. However overall timekeeping isn't too bad, so I think it's just a few aircraft badly hit rather than lots of aircraft slightly delayed. (Just been eased to 37/60 so presumably the VIS is improving rapidly). Cancellations done previously are

BA552 FCO
and VY8961 to Orly, which I only mention because of the BA codeshare on it.

BA has 340 departures today, so quite busy, out of 679 for LHR.

Landing RWY: 09L
Airborne holding (mins): 12 peak
Departure RWY: 09R
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

Heathrow: EGLLTC regulation 42/60 0540-1700z due capacity.
Network: Capacity reg into EHAM (low delays). Capacity regs through Greek airspace and weather through Hungarian airspace

Weather: ML risk of VIS2 conditions until 0600z. Airfield safeguarded since 0447z. Easterlies expected throughout.

BA 2540 LGW - Amsterdam 8th may 7.40am

Could anyone tell me why this flight was cancelled please . Was cancelled 1 1/2 hours before departure. I was rebooted onto another flight but from Heathrow at 11.15am so had to get the coach to Heathrow. Im wanting to find out if I can apply for compensation.

Last edited by Southernsls; May 11, 2024 at 1:34 am Reason: Wrong flight number
Old May 11, 2024, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Titan5
They told me to ignore the app. Then a few minutes later the flight got cancelled. Rebooked onto something more convenient so it worked out in the end.
Did they book you on another airline / routing to get you to the final destination within the same timeframe? Otherwise, how was it more convenient? The next BA flight out of YYZ wouldn't have been until the next day.(except BA 98 later in the evening, but it was indicated that one was already full).
Old May 11, 2024, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Saturday 11 May 2024

No cancellations today on BA, the Vueling service to Orly has been cancelled (again) though.

Not much to report, the T5 transit fell back to one unit working this morning but that's been fixed. No queues at all in immigration even for Non EEA. Just the M25 closure for J9 and 10.

321 BA departures today out of 650. Timekeeping is good. Regulation was cancelled at 10:25 hrs. Though I'd imagine London is OK, I'd have thought someone is going to have CB activity given the temperatures.

Landing RWY: 09L
Airborne holding (mins): 3
Departure RWY: 09R
TSAT delay average (mins): 0

Network: EGLL 42/60 0540-1100. 75 Regulations across Europe. EHAM (Amsterdam) Arrivals regulated due to Aerodrome Capacity - Moderate delays.
LGAV (Athens) Arrivals regulated due to ATC capacity - Moderate delays.
EDGG (Langen) Combined sectors regulated due to ATC staffing - Moderate delays.
LECB (Barcelona) Levante Upper sector (FL 305+) regulated due to ATC Capacity. In addition several scenarios have been applied to offload - Moderate delays.
LFEE (Reims) East (HE) and North (HYR) sectors (FL365+) regulated due to ATC Capacity - Moderate to high delays.
LFMM (Marseille) West sectors W3 (FL355+) and M (FL355-375) regulated due to ATC Capacity - Moderate delays.
LFRR (Brest) Several sectors regulated due to ATC capacity - Moderate to high delays.
LGGG (Athens) Makedonia West sector regulated due to ATC Capacity - Moderate delays.
LQSB (Sarajevo) High sector (FL355-375) regulated due to ATC Capacity - Moderate delays.

Weather: An early risk of low cloud moving in from the North Sea brings a Low VIS2 risk 04-07Z. Otherwise another bright day under light, perhaps gentle during the afternoon,
Old May 11, 2024, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by crawlyyz
Did they book you on another airline / routing to get you to the final destination within the same timeframe? Otherwise, how was it more convenient? The next BA flight out of YYZ wouldn't have been until the next day.(except BA 98 later in the evening, but it was indicated that one was already full).

they rebooked onto another BA flight but from Heathrow instead of Gatwick.
arrived 4 hours later than originally booked.
cant seem to find out why the flight was cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.