Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Four letter codes are explained in post 1 - kindly read the summary.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Reason for flight delay or cancellation - 2024 edition

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2024, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by wcel
BA1308. 3/5/24. Any insider knowledge on the reason for ongoing delay? Official messages say weather but no issues at lhr
Two reasons, firstly an aircraft swap at 0928 this morning. Your aircraft now assigned is G-TTNG inbound from VCE. It has an air traffic delay issued by Euro control due to Enroute weather, not Heathrow weather. That was 38 minutes. An earlier inbound emergency to LHR has meant Airborn holding is up to 27 mins on top of that.

Its just pulling onto stand 520 or Gate A20.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by KARFA
nothing new. Its always been the case that it shows departed
based on this. EF provides a more details breakdown of timings if needed.
I'm not sure about this? Certainly the showing departed but then sitting on stand for 10-20 mins is something I've come across a lot more recently.
Old May 3, 2024, 6:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sigma421
I'm not sure about this? Certainly the showing departed but then sitting on stand for 10-20 mins is something I've come across a lot more recently.
it is how i always remember it showing with on time departures, but delayed arrivals due to slot delays. i am not sure i see any recent change here tbh.
Old May 3, 2024, 6:17 am

Programs: BA
BA 5065 2nd May

Does anyone have any data on why this flight was delayed - its an AA code share. I missed my connection and ended up arriving 6 hrs late so just interested as the AA checkin desk said it was a high maintenance day but am conscious they may not have been given any helpful info and just assumed.
thanks in advance.
Old May 3, 2024, 6:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rwbarrett
Does anyone have any data on why this flight was delayed - it’s an AA code share. I missed my connection and ended up arriving 6 hrs late so just interested as the AA checkin desk said it was a high maintenance day but am conscious they may not have been given any helpful info and just assumed.
thanks in advance.
That's best covered in the AA forum, but AA1841 was marked as being late because of a late change in equipment on the previous service, CLT-MSY. In turn it looks like they switched to an aircraft that still had to arrive from DEN - this DEN-CLT service was on time but this was the aircraft that got allocated to CLT-MSY, presumably in the absence of anything else they could use.
Sigwx and rwbarrett like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 9:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thursday 2 May 2024

BA910 FRA
BA1400 MAN
BA426 NAP
The above were late, on the day, cancellations.

Friday 3 May 2024

BA285 SFO
That's a A380 so I'm sure that is TECY

Timekeeping today is pretty woeful, most departures and two-thirds of arrivals are running late today. Given that there are 341 departures scheduled (out of LHR 678) then I imagine that there may be some more cancellations this evening before the clock runs out on the day. Here is the ATC report and it basically says there is a bit of regulation around London (in bold) and other problems elsewhere. There were some areas of high windspeed at 3,000 this morning but that's ebbing away now.

Landing RWY: 27R
Airborne holding (mins): Avg 5mins
Departure RWY: 27L
TSAT delay average (mins): 10mins

Network: EGLL (London Heathrow) Arrivals regulated 36/60 until 1500z, 39/60 1500-1540z, 42/60 1640-2140z.
LGAV (Athens)Arrivals regulated due to ATC Capacity.High delays.
LTFM (Istanbul)Arrivals regulated due to Weather (CB).High delays.
Airspace
EDUU (Karlsruhe)Alpen sector (FL315+) regulated due to ATC Capacity. Moderate delays.
LBSR (Sofia)Several sectors regulated due to Weather (CB).Moderate to high delays.
LGGG (Athens)West sector regulated due to ATC Staffing. Moderate delays
LHCC (Budapest)Several sectors regulated due to ATC Capacity. Moderate to high delays.

Weather: Gentle W'ly winds, becoming SW'ly into the evening.
Sigwx likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:13 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Any idea why the BA1340 is cancelled tomorrow? Have friends coming over to JER for the weekend and now they cant get a flight until tomorrow evening 😑.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:50 am

BA1326 LHR-NCL on 4th may cancelled

Any ideas why this flight tomorrow is cancelled?, I was due to do a day trip coming back on the last flight. BA rebooked me onto BA1336 which was the same plane I was due to fly back on.

Thankfully they cancelled it early enough that I have rebooked to this evenings flight (BA1338) but now need to pay for a hotel in Newcastle tonight.

Im assuming that Ill be eligible for compensation for the cancellation but not expenses for the hotel (since I have now chosen to go the night before).
Old May 3, 2024, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Im sitting in the CCR feeling a bit indifferent about my Munich flight later - arriving after midnight seems tricky with their local curfew, and maybe a night in a hotel here would be better than a late night trek from Munich airport

Presume compensation would be out given earlier text on ATC restrictions (boo!)
Old May 3, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tom139
Any idea why the BA1340 is cancelled tomorrow? Have friends coming over to JER for the weekend and now they cant get a flight until tomorrow evening 😑.
Forecasted adverse weather conditions in the London area according to the email/text Ive just received.
travellingowl likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by travellingowl
Any ideas why this flight tomorrow is cancelled?, I was due to do a day trip coming back on the last flight. BA rebooked me onto BA1336 which was the same plane I was due to fly back on.

Thankfully they cancelled it early enough that I have rebooked to this evenings flight (BA1338) but now need to pay for a hotel in Newcastle tonight.

Im assuming that Ill be eligible for compensation for the cancellation but not expenses for the hotel (since I have now chosen to go the night before).
BA just emailed me and said the following.

Were extremely sorry that your flight has been cancelled at short notice. This is due to forecasted adverse weather conditions in the London area.

Does this mean that they will deny any compensation claim?, if its weather conditions that limits flow then surely theyve made a commercial decision to cancel this flight?
Old May 3, 2024, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travellingowl
BA just emailed me and said the following.

Were extremely sorry that your flight has been cancelled at short notice. This is due to forecasted adverse weather conditions in the London area.

Does this mean that they will deny any compensation claim?, if its weather conditions that limits flow then surely theyve made a commercial decision to cancel this flight?
I can't see what the specific issue is tomorrow, the weather forecast seems benign. But the most recent posts above are in line with a HADACAB warning, and in that scenario either flights get cancelled pro-actively, or if they don't it will be re-active cancellations when the delays have all built up. Ultimately it's weather related, or strictly speaking weather forecast related, and I can't see EC261 compensation being payable. It certainly is not payable if it's reactive cancellation. I guess your argument would be that by being proactive BA is making to some degree commercial decisions as to which flight to chop, but the fact is that if the weather forecast was ok there would be no cancellation.

If / when I see an alert for LHR then I will update here on the exact reason for these cancellations.

==
Unrelated, but the reason for the delays today was another airside emergency - I don't have the details - which resulted in very congested hold patterns, some stretching to 30 minutes.
travellingowl likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver

screenshots from Eurocontrol's Network ops plan for tomorrow (Saturday)
Old May 3, 2024, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower

screenshots from Eurocontrol's Network ops plan for tomorrow (Saturday)

forgive my ignorance but what does this show in relation to departures from Heathrow tomorrow?
Sigwx likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
In basic terms, the airspace in blue has been regulated, so a cap on hourly movements has been applied. Any departures out of London heading S and SE will be affected, and will be delayed by the allocation of ATC slot times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.