Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T5 First Wing Security 11 week closure [now reopened]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CKBA
.. today told it would be 27th March - at least before Easter.. so soon! (current fasttrack/1st security is coping - just, but seems slow with the volume of bags).
Noooo! Day after my next T5 flight

#firstworldproblems
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by the-doctor
#firstworldproblems
#oneworldproblems surely
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
From the source that said it was closing.. current rumour is next week.

Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
re-opening early? well this will be a shock to some of the commentariat on the thread who were predicting delays
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
I'm due through T5 next Friday - so will keep a close eye on updates!

Pilot37
CaliforniaSwede and Rudyroo like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 1:23 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by exploring_george
From the source that said it was closing.. current rumour is next week.
This is what I was told when asked earlier this week (or last week? Can’t remember!!) Must say I really cannot wait to get it back. Nicely coinciding moth promotion to GGL, so the family can all use properly at Easter…
EuropeanPete and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:49 pm

If it was opening early, I would be shocked. I mean everyone knows that you should plan appropriately with some headroom - and never promise delivering early. If they actually did that here - I would be happy.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
That's what the airlines do, they inflate the flight time, and then brag about early arrivals...and then you have to sit at the tarmac for 30 minutes for a gate to open...
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:08 am

Programs: MUCCI
Finishing pre-Easter if they can would be amazing!
FD.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:23 am

Just been through the alternative first security (1 minute at 0800) as this was my first chance to use the millionaire door.

It turns out that the new scanners in TFW are fully installed and operational. They’re open for 3 hours now as a trial and trials will continue up until a full reopen on the 27th March.

be interesting to hear what the experience is like during the trial runs.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Originally Posted by R.O.U.S
It turns out that the new scanners in TFW are fully installed and operational. They’re open for 3 hours now as a trial and trials will continue up until a full reopen on the 27th March.

Thanks! I read this just as I was arriving at T5, so was able to go through the First Wing security. The layout is the same as before, but with the new scanners and the 'hands down' body scanners (as they have installed at T3 fast track). All seems smooth this morning - but unsurprising since very few people using it. A few bags going to secondary, which is what I experienced at LCY for the first month or so after they were installed. Mine, which included liquids, laptop, kindle, chargers etc didn't go to to secondary. Once fully operational it should make things even quicker than before.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by R.O.U.S
Just been through the alternative first security (1 minute at 0800) as this was my first chance to use the millionaire door.

Any ideas on the trial hours?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
Any ideas on the trial hours?
Sorry no. The staff said that it had recently opened for 3 hours (that was at 0800) and that they expected the trials to continue/get longer (which I guess is what should be expected).
oceanscape likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:27 am

Spe

Originally Posted by poplarflyer
Thanks! I read this just as I was arriving at T5, so was able to go through the First Wing security. The layout is the same as before, but with the new scanners and the 'hands down' body scanners (as they have installed at T3 fast track). All seems smooth this morning - but unsurprising since very few people using it. A few bags going to secondary, which is what I experienced at LCY for the first month or so after they were installed. Mine, which included liquids, laptop, kindle, chargers etc didn't go to to secondary. Once fully operational it should make things even quicker than before.
Great to hear you gave it a try. I’d expect that they’ll be routing those that check in luggage at TFW that way when it’s open. This does raise the question that unless they make the trial periods more public they won’t necessarily get many HBO regulars going that way and I’d expect the average HBO bag may have a different composition to those of people who check luggage?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
So are they routing HBO people back to the main security area or is TFW open for everyone (who is eligible) to use? I am pleasantly surprised that they appear to have done this bang on schedule. Credit where it is due....
BA or bust, oceanscape and Rudyroo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.