Snow Cancellation Munich

Old Dec 2, 2023, 6:57 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cologne / London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Lufthansa Sen
Posts: 150
Snow Cancellation Munich

I just had a cancellation come through for my flight back to Munich tomorrow, I am offered a flight on Monday night instead

I really need to be back tomorrow as I have a fairly important meeting on Monday morning, so looking at other options.

Lufthansa are showing flights to Munich tomorrow I know that sometime BA will re-book to other airlines, should this be fairly straightforward or will I have a fight on my hands?

Thanks so much for advice!
Inselhuepfer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 7:02 am
  #2  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 63,134
Yes BA will rebook on to the Lufthansa Group (not usually EuroWings though) and the usual criteria is you call BA under 24 hours from your original departure time. However as you can see from the FAQ on delays and cancellations, LH is cancelling more flights than BA, it may not be apparent at this stage. There is a 300 mile rule so if you can get to DUS, FRA or ZRH then you may be better placed given the weather.
wrp96, Inselhuepfer, SxMan and 1 others like this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 7:15 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Posts: 4,527
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes BA will rebook on to the Lufthansa Group (not usually EuroWings though) and the usual criteria is you call BA under 24 hours from your original departure time. However as you can see from the FAQ on delays and cancellations, LH is cancelling more flights than BA, it may not be apparent at this stage. There is a 300 mile rule so if you can get to DUS, FRA or ZRH then you may be better placed given the weather.
However, lots of people spent the night in trains in the middle of nowhere as they were stuck. Bavaria is in a bit of a state at the moment.
itsmeitisss is online now  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 8:09 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 5,591
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
I just had a cancellation come through for my flight back to Munich tomorrow, I am offered a flight on Monday night instead

I really need to be back tomorrow as I have a fairly important meeting on Monday morning, so looking at other options.

Lufthansa are showing flights to Munich tomorrow I know that sometime BA will re-book to other airlines, should this be fairly straightforward or will I have a fight on my hands?

Thanks so much for advice!
munich is a mess at the moment

MUC will be closed for at least the rest of today, possibly longer (so flights from muc today still marked as scheduled will not happen!!).

Lufthansa no doubt rebooking their own pax on whatever is planned for tomorrow so availability for BA to rebook on LH could be limited

Even if you can get into muc tomorrow you may have issues with any onward travel.

As well as looking at options to get you there in time for the meeting, you may want to start considering and proposing alternatives. The people you are meeting with may have problems attending too.

Munich airport website...

No air traffic until 6 a.m. tomorrow, 3 december

Due to the continuing heavy snowfall, there will probably be no air traffic until 6 a.m. tomorrow, 3 December.

Passengers are strongly advised not to travel to Munich Airport today.

Air traffic restrictions are still expected tomorrow. We therefore recommend that travelers flying tomorrow check the status of their flight with their airline in good time before arriving at the airport and contact the airline if necessary.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 2, 2023 at 8:48 am
scottishpoet is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:19 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: US/UK - and elsewhere
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,515
Given the state of things down south in Munich I would first check to see if your meeting is going ahead. Some internal roads appear okay (as does the Christmas market!) - but air, and even the rail is at a standstill. If you must travel, then follow CWS's advice: FRA is okay (at the moment) with no snow, and you would most likely have a better chance by rail when it opens up again, rather than by air.
(see https://www.feratel.com/en/webcams/g...n-station.html)
(actually, some local rail (S6 & S8) are running, albeit reduced service).
SxMan likes this.
CKBA is online now  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:00 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYZ
Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Posts: 5,966
I was booked to fly out of MUC on BA today. Had stayed at the airport Hilton, when I woke this morning BA offered me the 07:45 tomorrow. No way that was happening as all hotel rooms tonight at airport were booked. Grabbed a couple of nights prosctively at the HGI in town before they sold out. No buses or trains from airport so split the 120 Euro taxi ride into city with another passenger. What a mess and glad I booked Monday as tomorrows flight is cancelled now as well. Fingers crossed I can get out of here then


jms_uk, wrp96, Lefly and 2 others like this.
Crampedin13A is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:32 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 68
We manged to get rebooked through Stuttgart tomorrow& have a bus booked from Munich to Stuttgart to get there.
decowie1903 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:38 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,293
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Lufthansa are showing flights to Munich tomorrow I know that sometime BA will re-book to other airlines, should this be fairly straightforward or will I have a fight on my hands?
Our DE partner is based in Munich and told me it's really bad there today. We had a colleague due to fly out Monday for a meeting with them and he's already cancelled at their advice. ie. they don't think they'll be in the office.

I'd never fly when it's like this. Is any meeting *that* important? I flew to Stockholm end of November 2022 and there was half a metre of snow - no taxis, nothing and that meeting was cancelled and we ended up on a call....which I could have done from the UK!
DeathSlam likes this.
chriswiles is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:08 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GLA
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by chriswiles

I'd never fly when it's like this. Is any meeting *that* important? I flew to Stockholm end of November 2022 and there was half a metre of snow - no taxis, nothing and that meeting was cancelled and we ended up on a call....which I could have done from the UK!
I flew into an ice storm in PDX for customer meetings. We made it to their office - they didn't. I quite agree - unless it's really life or death I wouldn't travel.
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
TheChangingMan is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:18 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,185
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Now we know why it's called the ICE train...
FlyingScientist is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:25 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: UK
Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Posts: 1,789
Also caught up in this but downgraded to ET by BA on the new flight. Will I still get CE tier points as need these! Presumably Id be able to claim the difference between J and Y too?

BA have said theyll cover hotel but to 200 per night (my current is close to double). Providing I demonstrate Ive tried to find something cheaper, would they cover the bigger amount as GoG?
tom139 is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:36 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cologne / London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Lufthansa Sen
Posts: 150
Thanks so much for all the quick answers, sorry I went AWOL but I had a really busy afternoon on top of this kerfuffle. I live fairly close to Salzburg, so it's actually easier for me to fly to Vienna and get a train from there rather than flying to Frankfurt. Flights to Vienna are currently going and I have been re-booked onto the Vienna flight at 9.45. Vienna is also within the 300 mile radius of Munich and maybe this helps others in the future - if you're heading South East from Munich, Vienna is a good option as there is a direct train from Vienna airport to Salzburg.

I really appreciate this forum for exactly these cases - thank you very very much, if it wasn't for the collective wisdom, I wouldn't know about the 300 mile rule or that I can ask to be booked onto flights other than those offered! Carry on the good work.
Inselhuepfer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:42 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cologne / London
Programs: BAEC Gold, Lufthansa Sen
Posts: 150
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Our DE partner is based in Munich and told me it's really bad there today. We had a colleague due to fly out Monday for a meeting with them and he's already cancelled at their advice. ie. they don't think they'll be in the office.

I'd never fly when it's like this. Is any meeting *that* important? I flew to Stockholm end of November 2022 and there was half a metre of snow - no taxis, nothing and that meeting was cancelled and we ended up on a call....which I could have done from the UK!
Sorry, I should have said from the start that I live in Southern Bavaria, so this is me travelling home and the meeting is local to where I live - unfortunately it has to be in person as I'm buying a house (woohoo!) and I have to attend the solicitor in person. I can postpone the appointment but it's unlikely we get another appointment this side of Christmas, so it's going to a Planes, Trains, Automobiles situation for me! Fingers crossed.
Fritz, catmndu, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Inselhuepfer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:49 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Sussex
Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Posts: 765
Originally Posted by tom139
Also caught up in this but downgraded to ET by BA on the new flight. Will I still get CE tier points as need these! Presumably Id be able to claim the difference between J and Y too?

BA have said theyll cover hotel but to 200 per night (my current is close to double). Providing I demonstrate Ive tried to find something cheaper, would they cover the bigger amount as GoG?
Im not really sure about wanting the higher tier points and a refund. But why not try for both. See how generous theyre feeling.
SxMan is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2023, 12:00 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 14,576
Glad the OP found a solution - enjoy your new home! Always a good reminder that the direct route is not always the best or only option.

I don't have a link to it but having seen a picture of a plane at MUC tipped over from the weight of so much snow kind of put things in perspective for me.
nancypants and Inselhuepfer like this.
wrp96 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.