Wiki Posts
Search

Snow Cancellation Munich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2023, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Snow Cancellation Munich

I just had a cancellation come through for my flight back to Munich tomorrow, I am offered a flight on Monday night instead

I really need to be back tomorrow as I have a fairly important meeting on Monday morning, so looking at other options.

Lufthansa are showing flights to Munich tomorrow I know that sometime BA will re-book to other airlines, should this be fairly straightforward or will I have a fight on my hands?

Thanks so much for advice!
Old Dec 2, 2023, 6:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes BA will rebook on to the Lufthansa Group (not usually EuroWings though) and the usual criteria is you call BA under 24 hours from your original departure time. However as you can see from the FAQ on delays and cancellations, LH is cancelling more flights than BA, it may not be apparent at this stage. There is a 300 mile rule so if you can get to DUS, FRA or ZRH then you may be better placed given the weather.
wrp96, Inselhuepfer, SxMan and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 6:15 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes BA will rebook on to the Lufthansa Group (not usually EuroWings though) and the usual criteria is you call BA under 24 hours from your original departure time. However as you can see from the FAQ on delays and cancellations, LH is cancelling more flights than BA, it may not be apparent at this stage. There is a 300 mile rule so if you can get to DUS, FRA or ZRH then you may be better placed given the weather.
However, lots of people spent the night in trains in the middle of nowhere as they were stuck. Bavaria is in a bit of a state at the moment.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
I just had a cancellation come through for my flight back to Munich tomorrow, I am offered a flight on Monday night instead

I really need to be back tomorrow as I have a fairly important meeting on Monday morning, so looking at other options.

Lufthansa are showing flights to Munich tomorrow I know that sometime BA will re-book to other airlines, should this be fairly straightforward or will I have a fight on my hands?

Thanks so much for advice!
munich is a mess at the moment

MUC will be closed for at least the rest of today, possibly longer (so flights from muc today still marked as scheduled will not happen!!).

Lufthansa no doubt rebooking their own pax on whatever is planned for tomorrow so availability for BA to rebook on LH could be limited

Even if you can get into muc tomorrow you may have issues with any onward travel.

As well as looking at options to get you there in time for the meeting, you may want to start considering and proposing alternatives. The people you are meeting with may have problems attending too.

Munich airport website...

No air traffic until 6 a.m. tomorrow, 3 december

Due to the continuing heavy snowfall, there will probably be no air traffic until 6 a.m. tomorrow, 3 December.

Passengers are strongly advised not to travel to Munich Airport today.

Air traffic restrictions are still expected tomorrow. We therefore recommend that travelers flying tomorrow check the status of their flight with their airline in good time before arriving at the airport and contact the airline if necessary.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 2, 2023 at 7:48 am
Old Dec 2, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Given the state of things down south in Munich I would first check to see if your meeting is going ahead. Some internal roads appear okay (as does the Christmas market!) - but air, and even the rail is at a standstill. If you must travel, then follow CWS's advice: FRA is okay (at the moment) with no snow, and you would most likely have a better chance by rail when it opens up again, rather than by air.
(see https://www.feratel.com/en/webcams/g...n-station.html)
(actually, some local rail (S6 & S8) are running, albeit reduced service).
SxMan likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I was booked to fly out of MUC on BA today. Had stayed at the airport Hilton, when I woke this morning BA offered me the 07:45 tomorrow. No way that was happening as all hotel rooms tonight at airport were booked. Grabbed a couple of nights prosctively at the HGI in town before they sold out. No buses or trains from airport so split the 120 Euro taxi ride into city with another passenger. What a mess and glad I booked Monday as tomorrow’s flight is cancelled now as well. Fingers crossed I can get out of here then

jms_uk, wrp96, Lefly and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC
We manged to get rebooked through Stuttgart tomorrow& have a bus booked from Munich to Stuttgart to get there.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Inselhuepfer
Our DE partner is based in Munich and told me it's really bad there today. We had a colleague due to fly out Monday for a meeting with them and he's already cancelled at their advice. ie. they don't think they'll be in the office.

I'd never fly when it's like this. Is any meeting *that* important? I flew to Stockholm end of November 2022 and there was half a metre of snow - no taxis, nothing and that meeting was cancelled and we ended up on a call....which I could have done from the UK!
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by chriswiles

I'd never fly when it's like this. Is any meeting *that* important? I flew to Stockholm end of November 2022 and there was half a metre of snow - no taxis, nothing and that meeting was cancelled and we ended up on a call....which I could have done from the UK!
I flew into an ice storm in PDX for customer meetings. We made it to their office - they didn't. I quite agree - unless it's really life or death I wouldn't travel.
wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Now we know why it's called the ICE train...
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:25 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Also caught up in this but downgraded to ET by BA on the new flight. Will I still get CE tier points as need these! Presumably I’d be able to claim the difference between J and Y too?

BA have said they’ll cover hotel but to £200 per night (my current is close to double). Providing I demonstrate I’ve tried to find something cheaper, would they cover the bigger amount as GoG?
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the quick answers, sorry I went AWOL but I had a really busy afternoon on top of this kerfuffle. I live fairly close to Salzburg, so it's actually easier for me to fly to Vienna and get a train from there rather than flying to Frankfurt. Flights to Vienna are currently going and I have been re-booked onto the Vienna flight at 9.45. Vienna is also within the 300 mile radius of Munich and maybe this helps others in the future - if you're heading South East from Munich, Vienna is a good option as there is a direct train from Vienna airport to Salzburg.

I really appreciate this forum for exactly these cases - thank you very very much, if it wasn't for the collective wisdom, I wouldn't know about the 300 mile rule or that I can ask to be booked onto flights other than those offered! Carry on the good work.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chriswiles
Our DE partner is based in Munich and told me it's really bad there today. We had a colleague due to fly out Monday for a meeting with them and he's already cancelled at their advice. ie. they don't think they'll be in the office.

Sorry, I should have said from the start that I live in Southern Bavaria, so this is me travelling home and the meeting is local to where I live - unfortunately it has to be in person as I'm buying a house (woohoo!) and I have to attend the solicitor in person. I can postpone the appointment but it's unlikely we get another appointment this side of Christmas, so it's going to a Planes, Trains, Automobiles situation for me! Fingers crossed.
Fritz, catmndu, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by tom139
Also caught up in this but downgraded to ET by BA on the new flight. Will I still get CE tier points as need these! Presumably I’d be able to claim the difference between J and Y too?

BA have said they’ll cover hotel but to £200 per night (my current is close to double). Providing I demonstrate I’ve tried to find something cheaper, would they cover the bigger amount as GoG?
I’m not really sure about wanting the higher tier points and a refund. But why not try for both. See how generous they’re feeling.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Glad the OP found a solution - enjoy your new home! Always a good reminder that the direct route is not always the best or only option.

I don't have a link to it but having seen a picture of a plane at MUC tipped over from the weight of so much snow kind of put things in perspective for me.
nancypants and Inselhuepfer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.