Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snow Cancellation Munich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Judging by the comments on the Lufthansa forum and my own experience for years as a Senator I'm glad I declined any rebook on Lufthansa and have kept my itinerary BA even if I leave slightly later. At least the Gold line was excellent
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:24 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
LH cancelled the flight (twice) that BA first and then LH booked us on automatically after the first rebooked flight was cancelled. BA is now saying its a LH problem as they reissued the ticket after the first cancellation on 220 stock. Ive pushed back and said it is BA who my contract is with and theyve agreed a reroute via ZRH.

However, they are saying they cannot reissue my ticket until Lufthansa first offload us and cancel check in for the cancelled flight. I absolutely cannot get hold of LH in any way - all lines are dead or drop dead. Any ideas? BA has added the ZRH flight to the PNR - if I turn up at the airport will this force a reissue?

thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I once drive from YYZ to downtown Toronto in a freezing rain storm. Utterly terrifying.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 2:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I can work from the Crown Plaza quite nicely. I have no appointments in Munich until Friday at which point I will cancel,. Until then I will live off BAs kind hospitality.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tom139
However, they are saying they cannot reissue my ticket until Lufthansa first offload us and cancel check in for the cancelled flight. I absolutely cannot get hold of LH in any way - all lines are dead or drop dead. Any ideas? BA has added the ZRH flight to the PNR - if I turn up at the airport will this force a reissue?
This means Lufthansa are sitting on BA's coupon, and unless LH releases it then the revised PNR won't ticket. A high-up can insert a new coupon in, but that's a financial risk to BA since LH may seek payment for some reason or other. LH will normally release the coupon at some point - if it's attached to a now cancelled flight then they won't be able to do much with it either. I would like to think that overnight LH computers will start processing the backlog of transactions.
adrianlondon and ermis177 like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 3:08 pm

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This means Lufthansa are sitting on BA's coupon, and unless LH releases it then the revised PNR won't ticket. A high-up can insert a new coupon in, but that's a financial risk to BA since LH may seek payment for some reason or other. LH will normally release the coupon at some point - if it's attached to a now cancelled flight then they won't be able to do much with it either. I would like to think that overnight LH computers will start processing the backlog of transactions.
Thank you so much, CWS! Ill give this a try.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Not looking good. MUC closed again.

Due to expected freezing rain AD closed for all Arrivals and Departures on December, 5th, 2023 form 05:00 till 12:00 local time (LT).

On December, 5th, 2023 from 12:01 LT till 23:59 LT max. 6 ARR and 6 DEP possible per hour. All Aircraft operators are requested to cancel their flights accordingly. > OUTBOUND-Traffic according A-CDM procedure (TOBT/TSAT) / INBOUND-Traffic regulated by EUROCONTROL.

NO PPR possible.

AD not available as alternate till 05/12/2023 23:59 LT
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I made it home to Munich yesterday via Berlin, and was only 55 minutes late (a good day by DB standards).

Looks like rail links have largely reopened to major northern and western routes, so FRA, BER, HAM, DUS, CGN.are all options. I'm expecting BA's duty of care to cover the train journeys down.

With more heavy snow forecast tonight into tomorrow (Tue into Weds) I suspect the cancellations to continue rolling. Good luck everyone!
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:30 am

Do BA have a commercial policy for MUC yet? I see the LH Group have just put one in place until the 9th, My folks are due to fly out on Thursday on a BAH booking (with a car) and given the forecast and how poorly they seem to be coping reckon it’s 50/50 at this point.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:42 am

Glad you made it rob_88. I completely get the frustration people are facing, but freezing rain can be v dangerous in its impact on transport given it is super cooled and forms ice on contact - I once saw it turn a motorway into an ice rink just ahead of me. A number of weather warning were in place for it, some lifted, others in effect and as noted MUC suspended ops until 1200 to deal with it and its impact overnight/this morning. Local news quoting airport as saying this morning all surfaces were iced over and now need dealt with.

On the trains - nothing long-distance on the Munich/Mnchen to Rosenheim line (and so on to Innsbruck/Brenner[o] or Salzburg) some limited local services but in part. Also still no through trains via the Allgu so M - Zrich. Other routes as rob_88 and others note.

Last edited by Kranebitten; Dec 5, 2023 at 2:04 am Reason: Update re MUC in media
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Do BA have a commercial policy for MUC yet? I see the LH Group have just put one in place until the 9th, My folks are due to fly out on Thursday on a BAH booking (with a car) and given the forecast and how poorly they seem to be coping reckon it’s 50/50 at this point.
I can't spot a policy yet, there may be an internal policy if someone feels like sharing it to me..... If - as now - all flights are cancelled then the standard cancellation policy deals with the current issue, but clearly a policy would help when flying resumes. They normally do policies for things anticipated, so HAM had one a few weeks back, but when something happens beyond expectations then it's missed the opportunity that lies behind the policy issue.

All 6 BA flights are cancelled today, Tuesday, three were cancelled late yesterday, three had been cancelled earlier. Tomorrow Wednesday currently all 6 services are running. I can see a long list of Lufthansa cancellations too, 7 out of 8 services cancelled. Currently LH2484 is still on but with a 19:55 hrs departure from MUC I wonder if it will survive.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 5, 2023 at 1:52 am
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

All 6 BA flights are cancelled today, Tuesday, three were cancelled late yesterday, three had been cancelled earlier. Tomorrow Wednesday currently all 6 services are running. I can see a long list of Lufthansa cancellations too, 7 out of 8 services cancelled. Currently LH2484 is still on but with a 19:55 hrs departure from MUC I wonder if it will survive.
I am now on BA950 at 8:55 tomorrow but after 3 nights at LHR Ive pretty mich had enough of this. More heavy snow is forecast for tonight through tomorrow so if that flight gets cancelled, which I am now fully expecting, Im going back to Faro.

One question, what happens on the EU261 front in this case? Presumably I am entitled to duty of care until the point that I abandon the trip. Is that correct? I have already extended my hotel until tomorrow but if I get a cancellation of tomorrows flight today and choose to abandon the trip, up to which point is BA on the hook for my hotel and food?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Freezing rain never happened. This is getting ridiculous.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
One question, what happens on the EU261 front in this case? Presumably I am entitled to duty of care until the point that I abandon the trip. Is that correct? I have already extended my hotel until tomorrow but if I get a cancellation of tomorrows flight today and choose to abandon the trip, up to which point is BA on the hook for my hotel and food?
It's not 101% clear on that latter point. There is a Ryanair case which is more-or-less along your line of thinking, it's all about being necessary and proportionate. One factor here therefore relates to what would you do if you abandoned your trip to Faro? Stay in MUC? But as a basic rule to keep it simple, I would never cancel the next flight in a Right to Care scenario, and ideally you would do what you can to get out of the irrop, so going to STR or FRA (etc) seems sensible.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Freezing rain never happened. This is getting ridiculous.
the airport mention the rain during the night and need to de-ice the airport, there are also warnings in place this morning and enough news about black ice accidents, wouldnt say it didnt happen as nobody is on the ground at the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.