Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snow Cancellation Munich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The first wave of the cull is over. Only BA954 and BA960 cancelled for tomorrow, 6th December, so far..
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
The fact they have already cancelled 2 of 6 says to me Ill be getting the cancellation email at 6 am tomorrow for my flight
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
The fact they have already cancelled 2 of 6 says to me Ill be getting the cancellation email at 6 am tomorrow for my flight
Well, Lufthansa has already cancelled 5 of 9 tomorrow, and they are normally slower to cancel than BA, so there is hope.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 10:20 am

The fact they have already cancelled 2 of 6 says to me I’ll be getting the cancellation email at 6 am tomorrow for my flight
My cancellation mail never arrived and BA950 ran almost exactly on schedule today. My irrop is over and now I just need to collate and submit my receipts. Munich airport was empty except from the 50m long lines at immigration which are normal for non-schengen these days.

All the best for your flight home. I hope you were as fortunate as me today.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:48 am

Yes thanks it did. Flight took off on time at 16:00 and I was landside at T5 with my checked bag by 5:35. So glad the 4 days of my personal Planes,Trains and Automobiles is over and now relaxing with a pint I hope BA doesnt quibble over the 640 bill for the 4 hotel nights Ill be submitting
adrianlondon and mnhusker like this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
My cancellation mail never arrived and BA950 ran almost exactly on schedule today. My irrop is over and now I just need to collate and submit my receipts. Munich airport was empty except from the 50m long lines at immigration which are normal for non-schengen these days.

All the best for your flight home. I hope you were as fortunate as me today.
DId you get the impression there were a lot of BA customers still stranded (e.g. middle seating in CE?).
Old Dec 6, 2023, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
DId you get the impression there were a lot of BA customers still stranded (e.g. middle seating in CE?).
i had 3C next to me empty and so was1C. No use of the middle seats
Old Dec 6, 2023, 4:39 pm

Glad to hear that you managed to complete your trip.

For similar extreme events like this, I recommend also looking at Prague as an alternative airport - its a smooth 4-hour car ride away from Munich, so not much further than Stuttgart (2.5 hours) or Frankfurt (3 hours).
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, not at all. In fact 1F was empty until taken by a charming BA crew member travelling out to crew the return flight.

i had 3C next to me empty and so was1C. No use of the middle seats
I was also surprised to see empty seats. The previous days flights on both BA and LH were all cancelled.

Originally Posted by LH302
Glad to hear that you managed to complete your trip.

For similar extreme events like this, I recommend also looking at Prague as an alternative airport - its a smooth 4-hour car ride away from Munich, so not much further than Stuttgart (2.5 hours) or Frankfurt (3 hours).
Within Germany one-way car rentals are affordable. Internationally, not. Trains from Prague were also disrupted so that was no use. I could have routed to Stuttgart or Frankfurt a day earlier but did not attempt it because at the time of rebooking there were still seats direct to Munich to be had. Its just that these were subsequently cancelled. This level of disruption in and around Munich has not been known for many years due to declining snowfall. Munich airport cleared as much snow in 1 night as in the whole of the last winter.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 3:09 am

What complicated this was DB being a total mess as well so while it was definitely an option to try to get out of FRA there was no guarantee of getting up there. In my 2 week trip to Germany even before the snow every ICE booking I had was changed multiple times or cancelled outright in one case with 20 minutes warning. I cant believe what an unreliable mess DB has become. They used to be great. Also thanks for the help and suggestions from people on this forum during this unusually long disruption

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Dec 7, 2023 at 3:29 am
Old Dec 8, 2023, 4:57 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Avis Preferred
mustve been quickly back to normal as i took the 750pm last night LHR-MUC and more than a few empty CE seats.

DB on the other hand...here i thought getting to T5 was a disaster enough (but seemingly made it 40mins before things really went left), and the endless DB delays only put the cherry on top!
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:24 am

What complicated this was DB being a total mess as well so while it was definitely an option to try to get out of FRA there was no guarantee of getting up there. In my 2 week trip to Germany even before the snow every ICE booking I had was changed multiple times or cancelled outright in one case with 20 minutes warning. I can’t believe what an unreliable mess DB has become. They used to be great. Also thanks for the help and suggestions from people on this forum during this unusually long disruption
Yep; DB has gotten so bad that the German trains coming into Switzerland often get forcibly terminated in Basel (and sometimes at the German station in Basel rather than the main one) so as not to disrupt our lovely punctual trains.

Sunday Times article: https://archive.ph/3SKkC

In my opinion, the trains in Switzerland are on time partly due to the timetable being so heavily padded that it's relatively easy to make up time if necessary.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:25 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
We finally got out of MUC Wednesday night on LH2310 and 21:00 scheduled departure. Airport was pretty empty by then, although our flight was full. Pushed back on time, but there was an engine startup issue and we returned to a gate and waited for maintenance. Ultimately tech declared the engine good, just had been sitting idle and icy cold for five days. Finally departed 1 1/2 hours late. We were pretty stressed over this as we had a 09:15 departure AMS-PDX on DL179 the next morning, which I had been rebooking daily as our flight out of MUC kept getting cancelled.

Fortunately we had been able to extend our hotel room daily, so had a place to stay through all the mess.

By Wednesday the lines at the DB Info office at the Munich Hauptbahnhof had shrunk considerably as well. (We were passing through there daily to take the U-Bahn or S-Bahn).

Weather wasn't done with us quite yet thought. We finally got lights out at the Schiphol Hilton at about 01:30, then up and 06:00. Boarded DL179 on time, only to sit at the gate for another 2 1/2 hours. AMS was experiencing freezing fog, the de-icing station was backed up, so planes couldn't push back, thus arriving flights couldn't park, taxiways logjam, etc. Net about 13 hours on plane for what should have been a 10:45 flight.
Crampedin13A and adrianlondon like this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: BAEC
To give BA credit, we had about 600 in expenses / duty of care for a Munich trip via Stuttgart.
We had the receipts & claim in on Monday and received a phone call Thursday saying everything was processed.

(I queried the phonecall as previously it has just been an email and the agent said this was quicker)
Old Dec 8, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by decowie1903
To give BA credit, we had about 600 in expenses / duty of care for a Munich trip via Stuttgart.
We had the receipts & claim in on Monday and received a phone call Thursday saying everything was processed.

(I queried the phonecall as previously it has just been an email and the agent said this was quicker)
I had the same phone call in resolution of a complaint. Unfortunately I missed it but am email was along shortly afterwards. For once it actually seemed like my complaint had been read and a proper explanation was given!

Perhaps there's hope for BA customer services yet...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.