Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Israel security situation : BA flights to TLV affected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Israel security situation : BA flights to TLV affected

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Downinthetrenches
With all due respect they’re speculating about a flight that has already departed and returned so questioning about the delay has 0 impact on wondering about what’s happening with friends and family, it’s just gossip.
As stated it’s the crew member “friend” who is either creating gossip or reiterating gossip (not the poster) which has no basis or truth and have pointed out that they need to be corrected. For that I make no apologies for clarifying what actually happened because galley FM serves no one and it’s not unkind to be factual or end rumours that have probably been made up by attention seekers.
it is not what was said, it was the way it was said and the tone. If you are crew and have any CRM training perhaps reflect on it a little. Enough from me - have a lovely Sunday afternoon.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm simply reporting what a crew-friend of mine had told me - but obviously if you were working the flight then you're better placed.

I've no doubt the crew will have put their safety at risk to fly out, as would have the passengers who opted to fly.

M
In support of this poster - a (reliable) friend of a friend was scheduled to operate on yesterdays TLV service and went as planned, albeit seemingly delayed.

So yes this poster is correct and it’s a shame they’ve been jumped on with what is actually the truth.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:38 am

To cut through the hubris, the delay was actually down to a significant number of passengers electing not to travel and the subsequent offloading. Given the rapidly changing nature of the situation, news and advice yesterday, this is hardly surprising.

I also welcome Downinnthetrenches and echo the comments of Waterhouse, and do stick around. The more from the mad house here, the merrier.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 9:08 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is now advising against all but essential travel:

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories. In addition, we advise against all travel to:

• Gaza
  • the Sheba’a Farms and Ghajjar
  • within 500m of the border with Lebanon (the ‘Blue Line’) east of Metula, including the northern edge of the town and and within 500m of the border with Syria (the ‘Alpha Line’).
  • The area close to the border with Gaza that includes the following:
  • The area southwest of Ashkelon
  • The area south of route 35 and west of route 40 as far as Tlalim, not including Be’er Sheva
  • The area west of Be’er Sheva
  • The area north of route 211
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/israel
Old Oct 8, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by mikebg
The return service (166) is not yet officially "cancelled". Of course it's not flying, but it's not officially cancelled, so BA won't treat it as being cancelled yet .... which means that they won't make me a booking with another airline (LY) yet, even though the few seats left out of TLV are rapidly running out ... Try explaining to them that since BA167 is cancelled (officially), there is no way BA166 the next morning is flying
The BA 166 TLV - LHR for 09/10 has been cancelled.

The BA 167 / 166 rotations have been cancelled through to Wed.

Strangely a BA 165 / 164 rotation is now showing on BA app departing LHR at 08:15 and returning from TLV at 16:35. I imagine this in error.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kay_Baden

Strangely a BA 165 / 164 rotation is now showing on BA app departing LHR at 08:15 and returning from TLV at 16:35. I imagine this in error.
Whereas this from VS:

Please note we are still operating as planned:

VS453 and VS457 London Heathrow-Tel Aviv 9th October

VS454 and VS458 Tel Aviv-London Heathrow 10th October

https://help.virginatlantic.com/gb/e...el-update.html
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Kay_Baden

Not an error, this is now being done as a day trip, no crew stopping over
flatlander, wrp96 and sammyg901 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Not an error, this is now being done as a day trip, no crew stopping over
Makes sense I guess. And hopefully it allows Residents of Israel to return home, and those on vacation there to return home also.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA will typically stop flying and then get agreement to shuttle from LCA in some form or other (e.g. LHR-TLV-LCA).

This evening's flight to Ben Gurion is delayed / under assessment.

Question…what is the reason to implement a LCA shuttle? Is this to do with loads, to take off with less fuel?
Old Oct 8, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
For crew to overnight there. They'd operate LHR-TLV-LCA, sleep, LCA-TLV-LHR, with minimal time in TLV both ways.
wrp96, Jambon87 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 4:46 pm

Wow, I'm surprised they are operating. Would have thought flying into a warzone would be a breach of Health and Safety laws...and any rescue flights would be done by the RAF.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by cauchy
Wow, I'm surprised they are operating. Would have thought flying into a warzone would be a breach of Health and Safety laws...and any rescue flights would be done by the RAF.
It's cute to see this romanticised idea that the Brits have of their government and that "the RAF will save them".

I'm a dual citizen and have witnessed how the British government acts in recent emergencies, alongside my other home country, Portugal. Let's just say that it seems that whilst the UK is happy to take an enormous amount of money in income tax from each one of us, when it comes to actually do something about their own citizens abroad, the response either comes late or not at all.

Somalia, Morroco and now Israel had prompt responses from the Portuguese government. The Portuguese Air Force is sending a plane to Tel Aviv for any Portuguese citizens wanting to return home for free. The same happened in Morroco last month. The UK government issued a tweet saying for you to lump it and make your own way home. "Bonne chance", it may as well have added.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by mario
Somalia, Morroco and now Israel had prompt responses from the Portuguese government. The Portuguese Air Force is sending a plane to Tel Aviv for any Portuguese citizens wanting to return home for free. The same happened in Morroco last month. The UK government issued a tweet saying for you to lump it and make your own way home. "Bonne chance", it may as well have added.
The US is sending a carrier task force. Top that.
scolbath, alex67500 and msm2000uk like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
To take this back on topic to flyertalk focus, does that mean that LCA will get a flight with CW and WT+? That’d make many people happy. Also — wonder if BA would be allowed to fly passengers who bought tickets on a fifth freedom flight LCA<>TLV which would be an interesting route…

Originally Posted by Jambon87
Question…what is the reason to implement a LCA shuttle? Is this to do with loads, to take off with less fuel?
Originally Posted by BA6501
For crew to overnight there. They'd operate LHR-TLV-LCA, sleep, LCA-TLV-LHR, with minimal time in TLV both ways.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by salut0
To take this back on topic to flyertalk focus, does that mean that LCA will get a flight with CW and WT+? That’d make many people happy. Also — wonder if BA would be allowed to fly passengers who bought tickets on a fifth freedom flight LCA<>TLV which would be an interesting route…
I don’t think they’re implementing it this time. Other people on the thread saying it would be an option so that crew won’t have to overnight in TLV. But they just changed the flight to daytime instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.