Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Israel security situation : BA flights to TLV affected

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Israel security situation : BA flights to TLV affected

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by tedcruz
As is typical with BA, got a text and email saying the flight is cancelled and not more than half an hour later they say the flights aren't cancelled and are scheduled to go.
At least the second message is consistent with what's currently on the timetable and flight status pages on the website (though I suspect it just means BA haven't figured out specifics beyond Saturday).
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
A crew-friend of mine told me that one of the delays to the flight last night, was that BA needed to use airport-standby crew to operate the flight - and multiple crew turned down the flight on the grounds of their personal safety.

I didnt actually know crew could say no (as daft as that sounds), but evidently there was a sense of discomfort about flying into the area.

M
Anyone can say no! I aint going - fire me!
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:21 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cauchy
I'm usually very sceptical of BA's excuses, e.g. claims of weather, of volcanos, of some other extraordinary circumstance and come on here to speculate. Even though it must annoy the real pilots who post here. But I can do this because, deep down, I know nothing terrible will happen, because the real experts are in charge.

But here it feels very different - a wartime situation my generation in the UK doesn't understand - wouldn't want to question the crew here in any way.
Yes, unquestionably the right decision was made. It is not a great day for anyone onboard. They found themselves back at T5B 10 hours later and just a few metres from where they started. At least the route is not ET/CE so they had some food on board.

I do wonder what the procedure for the return was though. They have come back through some of the most congested airspace in the world. There would have been a flight plan for later on, but something must have been done to clear the way for them. I am sure some of the knowledgeable frontline people here will know.
Coffeemadman likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
2 colleagues were scheduled to return on BA tomorrow
The customer is looking after them but assuming that flights to LCA or via Pegasus to Turkey will be swamped now (tho could be our TA is already on the case) ... any other recommendations??
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:45 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Delboy65
The customer is looking after them but assuming that flights to LCA or via Pegasus to Turkey will be swamped now (tho could be our TA is already on the case) ... any other recommendations??
As c-w-s has intimated, this is a really difficult one to give advice on. Something that works now might not in a few hours as airlines formulate their own policies in a rapidly changing, volatile and frankly dangerous situation.

If you have a good corporate TA, they probably have more idea than most as to who might continue to fly in and out of TLV, although the reality is that very few people will have ever had to deal with anything of this magnitude. I wish your colleagues, and everyone else trying to get out, the very best of luck. I can't begin to imagine how frightening this must be for them,with the uncertainty just adding to it.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:46 pm

Sitting tight for a few days is likely to be the best option. Otherwise, over land to Eilat and then into Jordan might be possible.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I did notice today a RAFAIR A400M inbound to TLV. Not everyone gets a choice!
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by DaveS
Yes, unquestionably the right decision was made. It is not a great day for anyone onboard. They found themselves back at T5B 10 hours later and just a few metres from where they started. At least the route is not ET/CE so they had some food on board.

I do wonder what the procedure for the return was though. They have come back through some of the most congested airspace in the world. There would have been a flight plan for later on, but something must have been done to clear the way for them. I am sure some of the knowledgeable frontline people here will know.
Im not directly involved in what happened today or the A350, different fleet. However both my fleet and the A350 did round trip cargo only ops during the pandemic, at various points. I dont know the A350 but as ably described by colleagues here, she is a very capable beast (although Id never admit that being a Boeing person through and though &#128521. Given what is happening, safety and security are foremost and there are numerous elements that have to be satisfied prior to ops commencing on a day to day basis with sensitive routes. There is an entire team dedicated to this task with very good access to the very relevant elements of intelligence on a safety and security front. We are always in contact with these dedicated elements based in London and cant leave London without approved methods of contact being available.

There has been an evolving plan and I wont comment on that here, but yes there would be a skeleton, yet not yet finalised flight plan for the return available to the crew prior to departure. Given the routing is daily and only subject to variation due to weather or airspace issues, it is more or less a stable routing in general, so fitting it into the general airspace picture wont be the most monumental of tasks. The routing and new operational flight plan can be sent to the crew in various forms whilst in the air and as long as the fuel required is less than that onboard, the operation continues. That is it in a nut shell. A very long, tiring day out for all concerned, and the first and last thought being of nothing more than security and safety at the forefront, but not an overly trying experience in executing the plan so to speak. The experience of being so close, and yet so far, is another experience all together for those passengers onboard.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:55 pm

Doubt LY will cancel - they have availability from e.g. CDG tomorrow at 11am.

Wrong direction
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
flydubai, Arkia or Emirates TLV-DXB
and then BA from there?
wrp96 and Delboy65 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
As c-w-s has intimated, this is a really difficult one to give advice on. Something that works now might not in a few hours as airlines formulate their own policies in a rapidly changing, volatile and frankly dangerous situation.

If you have a good corporate TA, they probably have more idea than most as to who might continue to fly in and out of TLV, although the reality is that very few people will have ever had to deal with anything of this magnitude. I wish your colleagues, and everyone else trying to get out, the very best of luck. I can't begin to imagine how frightening this must be for them,with the uncertainty just adding to it.
thank you
Am sure our TA is on the case, and our customer, a major global Corp, will assist...
Was just wondering to feed in "suggestions" based on the knowledge of the collective
Do recall the situation due to the volcanic cloud 10-12 years ago, was every man for himself for colleagues visiting not only ISR but also south of France and other destinations
Old Oct 11, 2023, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by T8191
I did notice today a RAFAIR A400M inbound to TLV. Not everyone gets a choice!
maybe just dropping off a few farmers from Herefordshire ....?
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
maybe just dropping off a few farmers from Herefordshire ....?
That was my first thought, The Hereford Gun Club.

Spike
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
The media will soon be filled with stories of people on the "flight to nowhere", but I hope they focus less on that aspect and more on the Reservists trying to get back, family members trying to get home, and international passengers flying into Israel to identify their loved ones in both Israel and Gaza.

I'm privy to information not suitable for this forum, but I don't envy anybody directly involved in the logistics side of things. BA will have taken a risk calculation, along with advice from those on the ground. They've made the correct decision in my opinion, but I appreciate them flying a few days longer than certain other airlines.

M
Old Oct 11, 2023, 1:41 pm

thank you
Am sure our TA is on the case, and our customer, a major global Corp, will assist...
Was just wondering to feed in "suggestions" based on the knowledge of the collective
Do recall the situation due to the volcanic cloud 10-12 years ago, was every man for himself for colleagues visiting not only ISR but also south of France and other destinations
Making these arrangements can be very stressful for all those involved. Also very costly. There is then the high risk that flights get cancelled last minute causing even more stress. I have been through this several times and have taken the RAF way out too. Sitting tight always had the best outcome for me. I suspect in the next day or two the situation for flights will improve. If it does not then there will be plans being thought up on how to get people out. It may not be by air, it could be land or sea. The best thing at the moment is not to panic, get a good nights sleep and think things through in the morning in a calm and considered way.
flygirl68 and Delboy65 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.