Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency Exit requirements?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Emergency Exit requirements?

I was always under the impression that a passenger needed to be physically mobile to sit in an emergency exit - indeed I believe that CAA rules state that "..You must be a non-disabled adult in full fitness...". So I was a little surprised when a guy in a protective boot using crutches sat down in the other exit row immediately in front of me on an LHR-MRS flight last week. Does this requirement not actually get enforced any more, or does boot + crutches somehow count as "full fitness"???
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Clearly the passenger ticked the box when they shouldn’t have done to say they met the requirements. BA usually checks at check in or the gate as well so that was missed. And of course the cc should have seen that when they came to give the exit row briefing.

edit: for reference this is what is says when you select an exit row

The passenger named above has chosen a seat in an emergency exit row. In the unlikely event of an evacuation they will be expected to assist in the opening of the emergency door.

Therefore, they must:
  • be over the age of 12 years
  • not be pregnant;
  • not have accessibility needs or be substantially blind or deaf;
  • be fit enough to operate an emergency exit door;
  • be able to understand instructions given in English; and
  • be willing, as well as able, to assist in the case of an emergency evacuation.

Our airport staff will verify that each passenger meets the exit row seating requirements or they will move them to an alternative seat.

I accept that the passenger named meets the requirements for an emergency exit seat

Last edited by KARFA; Sep 25, 2023 at 2:14 am
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
This passenger should have been assessed by the boarding team and the cabin crew to ensure they are able to reach, open, lift and throw out the exit door in an emergency.
JapesUK likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
semi-related question:

Therefore, they must:
  • be over the age of 12 years
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...-tradecustomer

states

"You must be a non-disabled adult in full fitness and able to understand printed and verbal instructions given in English."

Are 12+ year-olds considered adults in the UK, or what explains the inconsistency?

I am about to pick exit row for a 16-year-old accompanying me (way older than 16). Am I going to run into trouble with that?
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
semi-related question:

states

"You must be a non-disabled adult in full fitness and able to understand printed and verbal instructions given in English."

Are 12+ year-olds considered adults in the UK, or what explains the inconsistency?

I am about to pick exit row for a 16-year-old accompanying me (way older than 16). Am I going to run into trouble with that?
the UK has many gates to adulthood and 12 yo is not one of them. I’d suggest that the final three clauses are key. If your 16 yo companion is fit enough to throw the door, can understand english and has a solid head on their shoulders then all is good.
notquiteaff and DaveS like this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
semi-related question:

states

I don't know about reasons for inconsistencies but an adult is 18 in the UK.

Maybe it's to do with when you are classed as an adult in terms of fares?
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No problem.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Thanks to both all three of you for the quick confirmation. I figured it was going to be okay.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The passenger should be mobile enough to handle the exit door and get out. Wearing a boot and needing crutches is not usually compatible with this.

If I saw this, I would discreetly (but directly) suggest to the cabin crew that they re-check the person in seat XX for exit row suitability and mention crutches, boots, etc. If they decided it was OK then that's their decision to make, but I would be wanting to ensure they have checked the situation in detail.

This has (nearly) happened to me once; I boarded early to an exit row, and part way through boarding a very frail-looking elderly passenger came to sit down in the exit row - who did not look physically capable of handling the exit row, or even a small hand bag. I was half way through heading to the nearest cabin crew member making "ah, I need your attention" hand motions and I met them half way, as they had already seen the problem and were making a beeline for the passenger. The passenger was discreetly ushered to sit in the row ahead, and I complimented the crew member later on "their good handling of the potential safety issue at the exit row during boarding".
Old Sep 30, 2023, 3:00 pm

Think the crew often look the other way to avoid hassles…

from a few years ago…

BA serves drunk pax until comatose, refuses to remove him from emergency exit
Old Sep 30, 2023, 3:14 pm

I was required to demonstrate my fitness to sit in an exit row one time by the check in agent. After about 20 step ups on the scales she left me in my exit row seat.
aks120 and DaveS like this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: BA LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
This passenger should have been assessed by the boarding team and the cabin crew to ensure they are able to reach, open, lift and throw out the exit door in an emergency.
I suspect most people don’t appreciate how heavy and awkward the emergency exit doors are. Having had a go at removing one during one of the safety introduction courses that BA used to hold at Cranebank, I know it’s not as easy as the card makes it look!
Old Oct 1, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Another question in regards to OP's situation is where were the crutches put? I suppose they could have been placed in overhead bins....surely the passenger wasn't allowed to keep them and thus breaking another rule of emergency exit seats in keeping the floor clear. It does occur to me that the passenger concerned may well have been able bodied when they bought their ticket and selected a seat, but broke an ankle or similar subsequent to that. The crew really should have done something on safety grounds.
BA or bust and robertf999 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
I'm of the opinion that if you're in the emergency exit row, you shouldn't be allowed alcohol.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by onlynik
I'm of the opinion that if you're in the emergency exit row, you shouldn't be allowed alcohol.
Even if you're in business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.