Search

Emergency Exit requirements?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2023, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Even if you're in business?
Yes. Shouldn't matter.

I must admit I'd class myself as teetotal, though I have many colleagues who are functioning alcoholics, but they fly EK, rather than BA.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 2:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Of course, advocated by someone who is teetotal

Have you ever operated an emergency exit hatch?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 2:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by onlynik
I'm of the opinion that if you're in the emergency exit row, you shouldn't be allowed alcohol.
Try telling that to the GC Holders that habitually occupy these seats when slumming it in ET (including me)

Do you want a minimum height requirement as well ?

Come to think of it should Exit Rows be frequented by 6 Footers who need the legroom and not some of the vertically challenged people often ensconced in said seats with their feet barely touching the floor ?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by blurt91
Another question in regards to OP's situation is where were the crutches put? I suppose they could have been placed in overhead bins....surely the passenger wasn't allowed to keep them and thus breaking another rule of emergency exit seats in keeping the floor clear.
I was wondering that too.
blurt91 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 4:25 am

there are times when the exit row seats are left empty! Other times i have heard it said that the person right next to the door has to be physically able to open it and it doesn't matter about the middle or aisle seat passenger
Old Oct 1, 2023, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by ACES70
there are times when the exit row seats are left empty! Other times i have heard it said that the person right next to the door has to be physically able to open it and it doesn't matter about the middle or aisle seat passenger
It does matter, the middle or aisle must not impede evacuation, so you couldn't put a wheelchair passenger there.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 4:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I broke my ankle a couple of months ago and was in a boot for 6 weeks, and needed crutches. It would have been more or less impossible for me to have met the requirements to sort out the emergency exit. Every single thing I did took about 5 times as long - you don't realise how simple things like getting into a car / taxi are difficult when you are immobile

Even now (2 weeks after getting rid of the boot), it's still slow going!
Old Oct 1, 2023, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by rapidex
It does matter, the middle or aisle must not impede evacuation, so you couldn't put a wheelchair passenger there.
WCH(R) passengers can sit in an emergency exit row, that is why the ground staff and cabin crew have to assess the passengers capabilities.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
A passenger sitting in the window seat of an exit row on my flight the other day was refused a seat belt extender and reaccomodated elsewhere on the plane. Without wanting to stir the pot, I did question whether they would have been able to "operate" the door due to it's weight.

Interestingly the other passenger between myself in the aisle on the window seat passenger almost point blank refused to remove their "fanny pack"/"bum bag" that was around their shoulder and across their body. After much back and forth, they eventually removed what looked like about 5k in cash from it and allowed the cabin crew to place it in the overhead locker.

Just to add, this was a Ryanair flight to Poland. They seemed particularly stringent on exit row rules, unlike, among others, AA.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Of course, advocated by someone who is teetotal

Have you ever operated an emergency exit hatch?
Not on a plane but on an armoured vehicle.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by onlynik
Not on a plane but on an armoured vehicle.
So that would be a no.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by c1223
Just to add, this was a Ryanair flight to Poland. They seemed particularly stringent on exit row rules, unlike, among others, AA.
In the US, the FAA permits bags at over-wing exit rows which is why AA allows it.
c1223 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I was wondering that too.
Travelling on crutches recently in business, the crutches were taken away for take off and landing and returned to me at other times. Even though this would have meant I would be even less mobile if there was an urgent evacuation during these times.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
So that would be a no.
What about underwater inverted escape from a helicopter, where you need to push the window out, does that count?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Butts
Try telling that to the GC Holders that habitually occupy these seats when slumming it in ET (including me)

Do you want a minimum height requirement as well ?

Come to think of it should Exit Rows be frequented by 6 Footers who need the legroom and not some of the vertically challenged people often ensconced in said seats with their feet barely touching the floor ?
Ooooh, now I'd be all for that one, no self interest there, obviously
JapesUK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.