Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Speedbird Pilot Academy opens (for a limited time only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedbird Pilot Academy opens (for a limited time only)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by TTmex
Valid points, but the drop for someone in their 40s who has climbed the career and earnings ladder is much more than dropping a bit in early career. Another thing to factor in is the onset of technology, which is not unique to flying careers. But it's not inconceivable that commercial pilots become obsolete to some extent in the next 10-15 years. AI-powered/flown planes and drones are already pretty sophisticated, and I doubt airline execs will think twice about cutting pilots if it can be done cheaper and safer. I appreciate there are arguments against replacing pilots and believe me, I'm on the side of pilots staying right where they are at the front, but I feel the people at the top with money will have other ideas.
In the timescale mentioned there's pretty much no chance it will happen to those flying passengers. There's a possibility that it might affect freight pilots but even there I suspect it would require new aircraft designed for fewer than two pilots which is unlikely to happen in the next five years.
TTmex likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / SQ *A Gold / Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SamYeager
In the timescale mentioned there's pretty much no chance it will happen to those flying passengers. There's a possibility that it might affect freight pilots but even there I suspect it would require new aircraft designed for fewer than two pilots which is unlikely to happen in the next five years.
Hopefully not likely, but not beyond the realms of possible. But yes, it's still probably a steady and well paid job for many.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:43 am

It might be a lowish starting salary but flying pay tops it up considerably (is part of that still tax free as well?), and in any case it ramps up fast. Roughly 7k a year base pay rise for the first 7 years, if memory doesn’t fail me.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 5:29 pm

I see this on the application 'If you’re taller than 1.90m, you may submit an application, but may be required to undergo a functionality check'
What is a 'functionality check' and is there any point in applying if 1.95m tall?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by aprilscot
I see this on the application 'If you’re taller than 1.90m, you may submit an application, but may be required to undergo a functionality check'
What is a 'functionality check' and is there any point in applying if 1.95m tall?
Its mainly to check you fit in - some aircraft are quite restrictive. I’m 6’4 so don’t be deterred by this restriction.
aprilscot likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
A nice little video highlighting the academy, with Emma Raducanu in an Airbus simulator, released today:

I was really fortunate to have a similar experience last year: shameless TR plug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.