Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Speedbird Pilot Academy opens (for a limited time only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Good afternoon all,

One for the aspiring commercial pilots amongst you and your extended network/families.

Two training providers at present for this scheme and further details can be found here.

https://jobs.ba.com/jobs/vacancy/speedbird-pilot-academy-8305-london/8323/description/

https://careers.ba.com/future-pilots

Good luck to anyone you know who is applying.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
My dream job since I was a kid. Unfortunately, my parents didn't bless me with the right DNA in the eye department. No way I'll ever pass the medical

But hey-ho, sitting slightly further back with a drink and a good view isn't so bad.
renila, Shingi, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTmex
My dream job since I was a kid. Unfortunately, my parents didn't bless me with the right DNA in the eye department. No way I'll ever pass the medical

But hey-ho, sitting slightly further back with a drink and a good view isn't so bad.

https://www.caa.co.uk/aeromedical-ex...ds-for-pilots/

These are the standards required for the Class 1 medical as per the UK.

I do agree about the drink and the view when I do get the chance to let others do the driving.
TTmex likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
What a great idea this is! I've already passed it on to a friend of a friend who started flying training with the aim of flying commercially, but had to give up due to lack of funds.

It's also good to see a large company taking on responsibility for producing the skilled workforce it needs, rather than hoping workers will magically arrive ready-trained and whining when they don't (as so many others, in other industries, do). It shows long-term thinking about the company's strategy.
Arsene Wenger and smbk83 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My dream job since I was a kid.
Me too.
TTmex likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
https://www.caa.co.uk/aeromedical-ex...ds-for-pilots/

These are the standards required for the Class 1 medical as per the UK.

I do agree about the drink and the view when I do get the chance to let others do the driving.
The issue I have is correction and tolerance. I have strong glasses to correct severe astigmatism, but without them, I'd not be able to read any instruments. When leaving uni, I was rejected by airlines, ATC, the airforce, and the police force, all because my eyes would never be fit without correction. The depressing part is the cost now. Because the lenses are so thick, getting thin glasses is now becoming rather pricey.

I'm still tempted to try casual flying, maybe taking some lessons in a small prop. I'm not sure I have the energy that Tom Cruise has, so I will not be going back to flight school now

"Sigwx, you're still dangerous, but you can be my wingman anytime". haha
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Things have changed. Eyesight needing correction is not in itself a reason to be refused a class 1. If it is corrected by glasses and an opthalmologist checks that your sight is corrected by glasses, then you can get a class 1. you would need to carry a second spare pare of glasses with you.

i have this, corrected by glasses, and have held a class 1 recently.

myopia of -6.75 (right) and -6.50 (left)
astigmatism cylinder -1.75 (right) and -1.25 (left)
LCSinTexas, becks1 and TTmex like this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Things have changed. Eyesight needing correction is not in itself a reason to be refused a class 1. If it is corrected by glasses and an opthalmologist checks that your sight is corrected by glasses, then you can get a class 1. you would need to carry a second spare pare of glasses with you.

i have this, corrected by glasses, and have held a class 1 recently.

myopia of -6.75 (right) and -6.50 (left)
astigmatism cylinder -1.75 (right) and -1.25 (left)
Interesting to know, my numbers are more extreme, but definitely worth looking into, even for just being allowed to fly a small plane
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:31 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I had a good read of this when it popped up on LinkedIn - BA is clearly trying to create workforce diversity here, even funding accommodation and food, so there are no direct costs for applicants to have to pay. They talk about reaching out to local organisations (presumably those that represent more marginalised groups of people), and are very clear that being rich and well educated isn't a prerequisite.

Hopefully there will be an absolute scrum for places here, and they pick some good candidates. It's a £6m investment that I hope pays off in terms of building a long term workforce.

For that matter, I might push this towards one of my younger extended family members that is in need of some career inspiration....
Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Sigwx
Good afternoon all,

One for the aspiring commercial pilots amongst you and your extended network/families.

Two training providers at present for this scheme and further details can be found here.
Thanks for posting this. My daughter would have loved this, but is only just starting her GCSE years, so not old enough yet, would be great if they still do it when she is just that bit older.
She's currently thinking about her Y10 work experience placements and would love to do something in Aviation, but with us being down in Cornwall, she's far too far away for the BA and Heathrow programmes.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:03 am

The issue I have is correction and tolerance. I have strong glasses to correct severe astigmatism, but without them, I'd not be able to read any instruments. When leaving uni, I was rejected by airlines, ATC, the airforce, and the police force, all because my eyes would never be fit without correction. The depressing part is the cost now. Because the lenses are so thick, getting thin glasses is now becoming rather pricey.

I'm still tempted to try casual flying, maybe taking some lessons in a small prop. I'm not sure I have the energy that Tom Cruise has, so I will not be going back to flight school now

"Sigwx, you're still dangerous, but you can be my wingman anytime". haha
The job Maverick was told he wouldn’t be able to get - the one flying rubber dog .... out of Hong Kong, is now mine😂😂
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
The job Maverick was told he wouldn’t be able to get - the one flying rubber dog .... out of Hong Kong, is now mine😂😂
I beat you too it
Old Sep 19, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
In the 70s I toyed with the idea of being a BA pilot when they had a pilot training centre at Hamble. In the end I became a chartered accountant which I do not regret.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2023, 9:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I assume that website is being hammered as it's very slow (and acknowledged on the page).

Or it could just be the usual shoddy BA IT

I could have applied 3 months ago... but no longer
Old Sep 19, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: TP *S | FB Silver | LH
A few months shy of hitting the big 4.0 and the potential pitfalls of midlife crisis, working in a toxic environment following a nasty restructure due to my employer being bought out by a bigger competitor.

Then something like that shows up and brings back all the childhood dreams I had.

Forget the convertible sports car, I want that Speedbird A320!
BA1321, wrp96, crazy8534 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.