Using Avios to book on JAL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Using Avios to book on JAL

Obviously I’m doing something wrong
Would like to fly on JAL ideally First :
from anywhere in the USA (ideally New York) to Tokyo. Next fall. Flights not released yet I’m sure
I was trying to search on Ba for reward space as a dummy booking to see if it’s doable and at what cost. I have well over a million Avios, but all I get is flights from or through LHR
1) can you fly JAL to Tokyo from North America using Avios (I thought it was yes) assuming space
2) how hard is space to find in First JAL (I assume very but not impossible)
3) do I need to call BA executive club to sort it if they can help
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Obviously I’m doing something wrong
Would like to fly on JAL ideally First :
from anywhere in the USA (ideally New York) to Tokyo. Next fall. Flights not released yet I’m sure
I was trying to search on Ba for reward space as a dummy booking to see if it’s doable and at what cost. I have well over a million Avios, but all I get is flights from or through LHR
1) can you fly JAL to Tokyo from North America using Avios (I thought it was yes) assuming space
2) how hard is space to find in First JAL (I assume very but not impossible)
3) do I need to call BA executive club to sort it if they can help
No need to call:

​​​​​​
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Ok. Yes I just looked for that date and it did show up. It seems I just have to find a date that has availability……. OK. If there is no available seat it just won’t show up as an option. Many thanks
Now…. Can you search for availability by month ? Or week or do you have to actually do each day at a time. And can you use the app on an iPhone or is it best to do this day at a time via a full web browser. Final question when does JAL release seats and specific for First is there one on each flight or is it random.
thanks
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Ok. Yes I just looked for that date and it did show up. It seems I just have to find a date that has availability……. OK. If there is no available seat it just won’t show up as an option. Many thanks
Now…. Can you search for availability by month ? Or week or do you have to actually do each day at a time. And can you use the app on an iPhone or is it best to do this day at a time via a full web browser. Final question when does JAL release seats and specific for First is there one on each flight or is it random.
thanks
I believe searching for return flights has led to issues with availablity showing up..may be good to look for one ways if you need a return option.

As for availability, I believe you could try using Qantas or AA websites to search by months.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Great suggestion. AA by month for availability. Double check via BA one day at time where there IS available space to make sure it’s not a phantom space. One ways. And I’ll book the return later
Old Aug 12, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, United Premier Silver; Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
For a search a year prior to your flight, it’s 1x F seat released. For more than 1x F seat, there is an additional release 2 weeks prior at 00:00 GMT.

For my trip this past May, since there weren’t 2x F, booked 2x J SFO-HND rt last year and booked HND-SFO separately.

While in Japan called BA to upgrade the return leg for the 00:00 GMT release, seats weren’t released on the dot at 00:00 so the agent put the phone down. At 00:03, saw 6x F on AA and 3x F on BA and booked via ba.com and cancelled the HND-SFO J booking.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Great suggestion. AA by month for availability. Double check via BA one day at time where there IS available space to make sure it’s not a phantom space. One ways. And I’ll book the return later
Be aware that if you are willing to fly F in one direction, and J in the other, you could potentially save a lot of Avios on the roundtrip. Here's how:

BA offers a multi-carrier redemption option, in which the cost is based on the class of service of the longest flight flown (even if you were to fly in a higher class on one of the shorter legs). JFK-HND is slightly longer than JFK-NRT. If, for example, you were to fly JFK-NRT in F; HND-JFK in J; and then tack on a very short AA flight -- in any class of service -- from JFK/LGA on a later date (to give you the second BA partner needed to qualify for a multi-carrier redemption), you should be able to get the entire itinerary for just 180,000 Avios plus taxes/surcharges.

BA multi-carrier redemption table here:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us

Note that JL premium-cabin award space from TYO to the U.S. appears to be harder to find than premium-cabin award space from the U.S. to TYO.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silly19
For a search a year prior to your flight, it’s 1x F seat released. For more than 1x F seat, there is an additional release 2 weeks prior at 00:00 GMT.

For my trip this past May, since there weren’t 2x F, booked 2x J SFO-HND rt last year and booked HND-SFO separately.

While in Japan called BA to upgrade the return leg for the 00:00 GMT release, seats weren’t released on the dot at 00:00 so the agent put the phone down. At 00:03, saw 6x F on AA and 3x F on BA and booked via ba.com and cancelled the HND-SFO J booking.

Hope this helps.
it does. I am looking at F on JAL though if possible not AA or BA
Is the release from JAL one year ahead ? 350 days ahead? And the second release 14 days prior to the flight ??
Old Aug 12, 2023, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Be aware that if you are willing to fly F in one direction, and J in the other, you could potentially save a lot of Avios on the roundtrip. Here's how:

BA offers a multi-carrier redemption option, in which the cost is based on the class of service of the longest flight flown (even if you were to fly in a higher class on one of the shorter legs). JFK-HND is slightly longer than JFK-NRT. If, for example, you were to fly JFK-NRT in F; HND-JFK in J; and then tack on a very short AA flight -- in any class of service -- from JFK/LGA on a later date (to give you the second BA partner needed to qualify for a multi-carrier redemption), you should be able to get the entire itinerary for just 180,000 Avios plus taxes/surcharges.

Note that JL premium-cabin award space from TYO to the U.S. appears to be harder to find than premium-cabin award space from the U.S. to TYO.
do that’s the 10,001-14,000 for 90,000avois x 2 as it’s the J segment that dictates it right ?
Old Aug 12, 2023, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do that’s the 10,001-14,000 for 90,000avois x 2 as it’s the J segment that dictates it right ?
Correct -- as long as the J segment is longer than the F segment(s).
Old Aug 12, 2023, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Correct.
I just reviewed the concept and read more on how to do it. My god this is absolutely brilliant. The sticky point will be calling to actually do it and hoping the reward space is still available !!!
but I need BA and 2 other airlines correct
RK23 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but I need BA and 2 other airlines correct
Incorrect. You just need at least two BA partners on the itinerary. You can include BA on the itinerary, but there's no requirement to do so in order to get multi-carrier award pricing.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Oh this just gets better
Old Aug 12, 2023, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh this just gets better
I do my best.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: United, EVA, Marriott, Hilton

Dumb question but I didn't see an answer in that article and Google is pointing me towards this answer.
But I assume you have to call to book that multi-carrier redemption scenario you presented as BA will not let one book a multi-city award trip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.