Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios to book on JAL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2023, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by RK23
Dumb question but I didn't see an answer in that article and Google is pointing me towards this answer.
But I assume you have to call to book that multi-carrier redemption scenario you presented as BA will not let one book a multi-city award trip?
Correct. Multi-carrier redemptions cannot be booked online; they require a call to BA.
aircrashsurvivor and RK23 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by RK23
Dumb question but I didn't see an answer in that article and Google is pointing me towards this answer.
But I assume you have to call to book that multi-carrier redemption scenario you presented as BA will not let one book a multi-city award trip?
this article explains it well also. And it says yes - you have to call to book https://princeoftravel.com/guides/br...r-award-chart/
Old Aug 12, 2023, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Thanks. Great suggestion. AA by month for availability. Double check via BA one day at time where there IS available space to make sure its not a phantom space. One ways. And Ill book the return later
Do not use the AA calendar since you will be booking outside the AA booking window you will not see any results for your dates. AA's calendar only goes out 330 days. JAL books out 360 days. I think BA is 355? By the time F awards show up on the AA calendar they will likely already have been booked by other programs (BA, JAL, QF, CX). JL will only release 1F award a year in advance (maybe more later) so hopefully that is all you need. You are looking to book as far out as you can (355 days for BA?) since that is when you will find best JL F availability. Book as one ways so as not to lose inbound availability while waiting for outbound availability to open. I would go so far as to use a program that books 360 days out to check what is available in the days before BA can book and then book as soon as BA has access.

You are only searching in a couple of week window around 355 days out so searching day by day won't be too bad.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Do not use the AA calendar since you will be booking outside the AA booking window you will not see any results for your dates. AA's calendar only goes out 330 days. JAL books out 360 days. I think BA is 355? By the time F awards show up on the AA calendar they will likely already have been booked by other programs (BA, JAL, QF, CX). JL will only release 1F award a year in advance (maybe more later) so hopefully that is all you need. You are looking to book as far out as you can (355 days for BA?) since that is when you will find best JL F availability. Book as one ways so as not to lose inbound availability while waiting for outbound availability to open. I would go so far as to use a program that books 360 days out to check what is available in the days before BA can book and then book as soon as BA has access.

You are only searching in a couple of week window around 355 days out so searching day by day won't be too bad.
The problem is that the OP needs to add a second BA partner to the itinerary if he wants to utilize the multi-carrier award table; that will almost certainly have to be AA, if the OP wants to stay within the 14,000-flown-miles rate band.

I'm not sure whether BA will allow the OP to convert two JL one-ways to a multi-carrier award if he books those one-ways before the booking window opens for AA flights.
RK23 likes this.

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 12, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Old Aug 12, 2023, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by guv1976
Be aware that if you are willing to fly F in one direction, and J in the other, you could potentially save a lot of Avios on the roundtrip. Here's how:

BA offers a multi-carrier redemption option, in which the cost is based on the class of service of the longest flight flown (even if you were to fly in a higher class on one of the shorter legs). JFK-HND is slightly longer than JFK-NRT. If, for example, you were to fly JFK-NRT in F; HND-JFK in J; and then tack on a very short AA flight -- in any class of service -- from JFK/LGA on a later date (to give you the second BA partner needed to qualify for a multi-carrier redemption), you should be able to get the entire itinerary for just 180,000 Avios plus taxes/surcharges.

BA multi-carrier redemption table here:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...e/public/en_us

Note that JL premium-cabin award space from TYO to the U.S. appears to be harder to find than premium-cabin award space from the U.S. to TYO.
Sorry to hijack this, so one could for example book QR EDI - DOH - BNE in J and a return QF SYD -LHR - EDI in Y and only be charged for the Y cost for the entire trip?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlynik
Sorry to hijack this, so one could for example book QR EDI - DOH - BNE in J and a return QF SYD -LHR - EDI in Y and only be charged for the Y cost for the entire trip?
Yes. In fact, if you fly the longest segment in Y, you could even fly the shorter segments in F -- if available -- and pay the Y redemption rate for the entire trip.
etiene likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 1:36 am

Programs: UA, AS
The problem is that the OP needs to add a second BA partner to the itinerary if he wants to utilize the multi-carrier award table; that will almost certainly have to be AA, if the OP wants to stay within the 14,000-flown-miles rate band.

I'm not sure whether BA will allow the OP to convert two JL one-ways to a multi-carrier award if he books those one-ways before the booking window opens for AA flights.
I get the appeal of the multi-carrier pricing, but I would not want to lose out on the award by waiting until 330 days out.

I am sure it will not be possible to combine two one ways into one award. It should be possible to add to an existing award, so booking the outbound in F first, waiting until return availability became available to add it to the initial booking and convert the award type to multi-carrier. With the huge number of miles the OP has though I would probably just book two F one-ways non-stop and call it a win.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 6:41 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
JFK-HND is slightly longer than JFK-NRT
The calculation always used to be based on NYC-TYO, so shouldn't be airport dependant.
etiene likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAXBA
The calculation always used to be based on NYC-TYO, so shouldn't be airport dependant.
While not dispositive on the issue, the BA Avios calculator currently shows more Avios awarded for JFK-HND than for JFK-NRT.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold elite, *A Silver, Accor Silver
Yes. In fact, if you fly the longest segment in Y, you could even fly the shorter segments in F -- if available -- and pay the Y redemption rate for the entire trip.
So - segment - thats probably going to be DOH - SYD, so I could theoretically have stop overs to break it up even more?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlynik
So - segment - thats probably going to be DOH - SYD, so I could theoretically have stop overs to break it up even more?

SYD-LHR on QF would be the longest segment on the itinerary you proposed. What are you asking?
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A little OT, but . . .

I realize that the OP would like to make good use of his large stash of Avios, but if the multi-carrier redemption does not work out, perhaps he could amass a sufficient amount of AAdvantage miles for at least a one-way to or from TYO. As a Canadian resident, he could earn AA miles through credit cards (Diners Club or RBC Avion), and by crediting upcoming cash oneworld flights, if any, to AA. JFK-TYO in F on JL is a relative steal at 80,000 AA miles plus $5.60.
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

A little OT, but . . .

I realize that the OP would like to make good use of his large stash of Avios, but if the multi-carrier redemption does not work out, perhaps he could amass a sufficient amount of AAdvantage miles for at least a one-way to or from TYO. As a Canadian resident, he could earn AA miles through credit cards (Diners Club or RBC Avion), and by crediting upcoming cash oneworld flights, if any, to AA. JFK-TYO in F on JL is a relative steal at 80,000 AA miles plus $5.60.
thanks so much for all the advice from everyone
1) I dont want to miss out on the F reward space either direction if possible
2) the multi carrier concept will require the longest segment be in J and although this will save a lot of Avios I have lots to burn and currently generate about 100,000-150,000 a year from various credit cards. My wife and I dont spend them as fast as we earn them and they will likely just become devalued over time
3) I think booking 1 seat each direction out of JFK and back into regardless of the Tokyo airport unless one of the lounges is significantly better than the other for outbound travel in F despite the increased amount of Avios will give me the best experience here. And looking 360 days and booking hopefully 355 days is my best bet. I need to take one segment to/from Tokyo in J to benefit from saving what seems to be close to 90,000 Avios and even though J is almost certainly more than adequate I will think if travelling one direction in F the other in J is what I want.
And if so what direction (east or west) is the best to enjoy the F experience the best ??
4) I have some flexibility on dates so I can spend a few days trying to get the outbound flight in F and will likely make it the shorter trip as long as allows the multi segment. Once its booked Ill call and see if they can convert it all to a multi carrier if I find return space in J Im
guessing J space is easier to find than F
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Might look at Avion (RBC) to AA Crappy transfer 1 gets me only 0.7 but if I have enough to get one way at least in F its only 80,000 and $5
Old Aug 13, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Might look at Avion (RBC) to AA Crappy transfer 1 gets me only 0.7 but if I have enough to get one way at least in F its only 80,000 and $5
Since one CAD is currently worth about 0.75 USD, that's not as bad a transfer ratio as it might seem at first glance. Ordinary purchases on US-issued AA credit cards earn just one mile per USD.

And you also need to consider the lower mileage-redemption rates and fees when redeeming AA miles on certain routes, compared to what BA charges. (There are other routes -- like JFK-MAD on IB -- where Avios offer the better redemption deal.)

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 13, 2023 at 2:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.