Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

upgrades with BA status on OneWorld airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia

Does this occur very often? I will be heading to Gold shortly and together with Avios devaluation and for now arranging travel on AA and other OneWorld airlines unless that loophole has been eliminated, do OneWorld status members carry equal priority with each airline or do we find ourselves at the bottom of the list?

Last edited by testycal; Aug 4, 2023 at 3:44 pm
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by testycal
Does this occur very often? I will be heading to Gold shortly and together with Avios devaluation and for now arranging travel on AA and other OneWorld airlines unless that loophole has been eliminated, do OneWorld status members carry equal priority with each airlines or do we find ourselves at the bottom of the list?
It doesn't work like that. But if it did you would be fairly far down the pile.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Airlines typically upgrade their own status passengers ahead of other status passengers if required to do so due to overselling, but there are many variable factors.
DiamondMile and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Does this occur very often? I will be heading to Gold shortly and together with Avios devaluation and for now arranging travel on AA and other OneWorld airlines unless that loophole has been eliminated, do OneWorld status members carry equal priority with each airlines or do we find ourselves at the bottom of the list?
not bottom of the list per se….but neither top….gold/emerald for example with AA you maybe enlighten when stood in the first/biz/emerald que..they do stuff like board veterans before you in essence not disadvantaged but not top either. Their call…In my extensive experience - ymmv..best of luck and enjoy gold if you achieve. T
Old Aug 4, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Speaking from personal experience I can say it's not very often! On AA it's been a total of five times for me. I have had four short-haul upgrades (FAT - PHX, PHX - FAT, LAX - FAT, LAS - LAX) and one long-haul (LHR - LAX). On CX it's been two: one was SIN - HKG and the other LAX - HKG. I would like to think that all airlines would favour their own elites over and above those from other airlines in the same alliance when it comes to upgrades. It's also important to emphasise that different airlines have different business models when it comes to upgrades. With AA you have a mix of complimentary upgrades based on status, as well as upgrades using miles and a copay. JAL allows you to bid for upgrades.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
I've had op ups on Iberia (twice), and once on Cathay and Finnair, all times while I was a oneworld Emerald via Qantas, but I have no idea if the upgrades had anything to do with my status or not.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does this occur very often? I will be heading to Gold shortly and together with Avios devaluation and for now arranging travel on AA and other OneWorld airlines unless that loophole has been eliminated, do OneWorld status members carry equal priority with each airline or do we find ourselves at the bottom of the list?
The Oneworld alliance does not have a cross airline upgrade scheme
AA & BA have an out of alliance upgrade scheme
AA & AS have an out of alliance upgrade scheme
BA -->BA<->AA Reciprocal Upgrades
AA-->AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
testycal likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 4, 2023 at 11:57 pm Reason: added AA AS
Old Aug 4, 2023, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others have noted, they happen but rarely. Mine were IB (J to F on a 747-200 which shows how long ago that happened!), fair few on CX and a couple on AA. Very much the exception though.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 8:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Never. Main reason why I ditched BAEC status last year and jumped over to AS. I was getting fed up of seeing my colleagues- with MVP on AS (so Ruby)- being upgraded to F on AS ahead of me with Silver on BA since AS joined OW.

I had remained loyal to my BA status for 6 years, following my relocation to the US, because I wanted the domestic US lounge access on AA. Once I adopted 'American mode' in airports I realized quickly the lounge access was of zero real benefit given how late I leave it to arrive for domestic flights. I valued the upgrade to First Class much more hence switching.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Happened to me once as BA silver in 2012!😂 😂 QF from BNE to SIN from prem economy to J. Don't know if it was because of status or that the SIN LHR was in J anyway or simply just luck!
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
12 consecutive years BA Gold, over 50 flights on AA during that time - 1 upgrade - Y to C ….
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
First year as a BA Gold/OWE and zero upgrades on AA. No thank you or acknowledgment either. None on JL. Surprisingly, I was thanked for my business when flying MH earlier this year.

I got nothing as a BA Silver/OWS on AA, BA, and AY.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Generally operational upgrades don’t happen very often, these days. International business is usually sold out a couple of days before departure - if not those bidding for upgrades (with money) are usually picking up the last remaining seats … and then come the own elites … and then other alliance elites ….
DiamondMile and testycal like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It is rare (used to be much more common), and usually after the pax on the home team airline of the same status, although I think CX plays it differently. Given the amount of revenue from upgrades it is even rarer, i.e. they will process paid upgrades, bid ups etc before operational upgrades.

That said, difficult day at the office with overbooked flights, needing to upgrade, move pax around, a status pa from another airline can be attentive supportive and get a better seat. So I would say it is more than the pax who know how the system works typically benefit at the last minute.

Over the years , I have smiled at the gate with QF, QR, CX, AA, and BA.

KF
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Don’t forget a BA Gold (OWE) flying in Y on AA gets free seat selection into Main Cabin Extra as standard. That includes extra leg room and a free drink and snack (pretzels/ Biscoff biscuits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.