Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

British Airways | Executive Club

BA<->AA Reciprocal Upgrades

BA<->AA Reciprocal Upgrades

Old Sep 12, 22, 12:00 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 414
BA<->AA Reciprocal Upgrades

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...rocal-upgrades

Seems like a new development. Anyone have more information?
golfmad, GK1981 and AirbusA350 like this.
BR787 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FRA, JFK
Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 741
This sounds exciting.
Looking forward to more details coming out, espcially how the two upgrades on AA will be handed out to BAEC members.
Chiller3333 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:13 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: AUS
Programs: AA PPro, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Posts: 5,848
Deleted...
scubadu is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:16 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Did you read the article you quoted? That seems pretty clear and detailed. What more information do you need?

Regards
Sheesh you seem like a basket of fun.

Things like

1. When will they be available
2. How to apply them

Would be useful.
BR787 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:20 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 429
Thanks for posting this. This looks like a genuine improvement for most Golds who dont get any GUFs.

And even for GGLs this adds more options for proactive upgrades given C availability as an AA fare bucket seems pretty generous?

Also at the moment I am quite fed up of avocado-sesame-chicken-shank so I might swap and fly AA for a change in the coming weeks!

I wonder if AA-linked Tier points will post quickly and correctly with a SW? Whos going to be the Guinea pig?
Foofighter69 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:26 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Posts: 2,552
A potentially exciting development although it will no doubt further increase pressure on BA award availability.
crazy8534 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:32 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Foofighter69 View Post
Thanks for posting this. This looks like a genuine improvement for most Golds who dont get any GUFs.

And even for GGLs this adds more options for proactive upgrades given C availability as an AA fare bucket seems pretty generous?

Also at the moment I am quite fed up of avocado-sesame-chicken-shank so I might swap and fly AA for a change in the coming weeks!

I wonder if AA-linked Tier points will post quickly and correctly with a SW? Whos going to be the Guinea pig?
I'm happy to be a guinea pig for upgrading from J to A on October LAX<->JFK transcontinental flights connecting to/from LHR if we get the upgrade infrastructure + certs in time. Will also check if this gets access to FFD, which in theory it should...
becks1 likes this.
BR787 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FRA, JFK
Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 741
Originally Posted by BR787 View Post
I'm happy to be a guinea pig for upgrading from J to A on October LAX<->JFK transcontinental flights connecting to/from LHR if we get the upgrade infrastructure + certs in time. Will also check if this gets access to FFD, which in theory it should...
Will likely have another few AA flights coming up later this year as well and would give Premium Economy to Business a try.
Not sure how they'll handle any differences in taxes though.
Chiller3333 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:52 pm
  #9  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 21,574
An interesting development but with all upgrade instruments the devil really is in the detail. For example, any restrictions on underlying fare classes, such only combinable with full fare tickets. Also will copayments apply and if so, how much will they be?
Prospero is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 12:57 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LAX/NYC
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
An interesting development but with all upgrade instruments the devil really is in the detail. For example, any restrictions on underlying fare classes, such only combinable with full fare tickets. Also will copayments apply and if so, how much will they be?
The article says all published fares, including basic economy, are eligible for upgrades.

I'm glad it's not restricted to full fare. On *A, Star Alliance Upgrade Awards are mostly restricted to full fare tickets which makes *A partner upgrades pretty useless. By the time I'm buying a full fare J ticket, I would have bought discount F if possible.
trolleymusic likes this.
BR787 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 1:22 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 27,825
I totally realise/accept that i'll come across as very selfish here, but as a GGL with some GUFs, I can't say I am too happy with the news. I mostly see it as now needing to compete with countless AA members to be able to upgrade on BA on transatlantic (I don't care that the AA forum keeps saying that getting status on AA is now incredibly difficult, I still have the impression that AA distributes status like peanuts), and with a lot more people to be able to upgrade on AA flights depending on the availability of that incredibly ellusive award space (whilst AA elites can use their instruments for space available upgrades if I am not mistaken) on AA long haul and transcon flights as now all BA elites will get two equivalent of the GUFs that I only start earning at 2,500 TPs.

Again, I appreciate that this is excellent news for many people, and good for them, but to be entirely candid, and from my selfish point of view, I am actually fairly convinced that based on my specific situation as described at the start of this post (GGL, multiple GUFs), I will be worse off rather than better off as a result of it.

Incidentally, given the "as of today" reference, if we have all received two AA systemwide upgrades of sort, I really do wonder why none of us have been informed!
orbitmic is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 1:28 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: FRA, JFK
Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 741
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I totally realise/accept that i'll come across as very selfish here, but as a GGL with some GUFs, I can't say I am too happy with the news. I mostly see it as now needing to compete with countless AA members to be able to upgrade on BA on transatlantic (I don't care that the AA forum keeps saying that getting status on AA is now incredibly difficult, I still have the impression that AA distributes status like peanuts), and with a lot more people to be able to upgrade on AA flights depending on the availability of that incredibly ellusive award space (whilst AA elites can use their instruments for space available upgrades if I am not mistaken) on AA long haul and transcon flights as now all BA elites will get two equivalent of the GUFs that I only start earning at 2,500 TPs.

Again, I appreciate that this is excellent news for many people, and good for them, but to be entirely candid, and from my selfish point of view, I am actually fairly convinced that based on my specific situation as described at the start of this post (GGL, multiple GUFs), I will be worse off rather than better off as a result of it.

Incidentally, given the "as of today" reference, if we have all received two AA systemwide upgrades of sort, I really do wonder why none of us have been informed!
According to the OMAAT article the AA SWUs book into award classes, whereas our GUFs go into I and A, with the ability to open up reward space in Business with GGL redemptions.
Yes, it'll hurt a bit, not going to argue with that, but I don't think it'll matter much.
Let's see.
Chiller3333 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 2:05 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,783
i have found using my GGL upgrade instruments much easier in the first 6 years of the program than i did using my SWUs in my 10+ years as an EXP with AA so yeah i guess i do agree with some above who note that i'm not terribly excited by AA OWEs using space that otherwise would have been available for GGLs.

it is rare that i've found pricing an ex-EU ticket on AA to be better than BA (easier to price multi-cities on AA website).

but waiting to hear more specifics on this and what buckets are affected.

Last edited by VSLover; Sep 12, 22 at 2:18 pm
VSLover is online now  
Old Sep 12, 22, 2:11 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ gold, TK Elite
Posts: 3,738
What I'm not sure to understand is exactly what tickets we'll be able to upgrade.
I'm about to buy a transatlantic ticket in business and AA is the cheapest. However from the link, the ticket has to be issued by BA. Should I call the BA GGL team and ask them to book AA coded and operated flights?
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Sep 13, 22 at 1:55 pm Reason: correct misspelled word
DeltaFlyingProf is offline  
Old Sep 12, 22, 2:18 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 27,825
Originally Posted by Chiller3333 View Post
According to the OMAAT article the AA SWUs book into award classes, whereas our GUFs go into I and A, with the ability to open up reward space in Business with GGL redemptions.
Indeed, but bear in mind that of course, buckets' availability is all linked rather than compartimentalised. In other words, RM functions in such a way that effectively any seat filled in any class will affect availability in lower buckets but may also affect availability in higher buckets. An airline may perfectly decide to open a seat that will be available as I or U and close it in both I and U when it is purchased as either. In that sense, this may also result in I or A inventory being less easy to get despite the SWU users do not have access to it.
Chiller3333 and DiamondMile like this.
orbitmic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread