Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays showing Business (AA) flight, booked into Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2023, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi everyone,

Hoping for some opinions here. We made a BA Holidays booking last night (LHR-HEL-JFK-LAX-JFK-LHR-OSL). All flights were booked into Business (and I have a screenshot of the booking page showing Business for each leg), but after confirming the booking, the MMB page now shows Economy for LAX-JFK. I've priced up again with all flights in J and am getting the exact same price as when I booked last night. I just got off the phone to BAH who told me that if I want to upgrade, it's about £700 extra, and that there was absolutely nothing she could do.

Given that their own booking page shows Business on each flight, surely they can't just be charging extra? I probably wouldn't have booked those flights with that extra cost.

So, my question is fairly simple - is it pointless for me to push the point and try to get them to include the Business flight? It seems like false advertising to me (or whatever the legal term is), but any advice would be greatly helpful. Many thanks in advance.

Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Well done for getting the screenshot! I wouldn't have thought to do it. I think they will refund your money if they can't ticket the cabin offered due to a mistake in their systems but you may get lucky. I doubt it would end up as a legal claim.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robespierre
Well done for getting the screenshot! I wouldn't have thought to do it. I think they will refund your money if they can't ticket the cabin offered due to a mistake in their systems but you may get lucky. I doubt it would end up as a legal claim.
Luck more than anything else - I saved the page to show the better half the plans in case the page timed out, but then booked it pretty much straight away. A refund might be the best I could hope for, I did mention about it but the operator didn't seem to think that would be an option.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:25 am

What does your confirmation email show?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:35 am

have you checked the flights on AA.com?
If needed can you use the 24h rule to cancel and rebook?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danmushman
have you checked the flights on AA.com?
If needed can you use the 24h rule to cancel and rebook?
Yeah, I only realised when I was on AA and trying to select seats. BAH tell me you can't cancel within 24h for free for online bookings, and I remember seeing that posted on here before, so no luck there sadly.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by richiejv
Yeah, I only realised when I was on AA and trying to select seats. BAH tell me you can't cancel within 24h for free for online bookings, and I remember seeing that posted on here before, so no luck there sadly.
yep, looks like you're correct unfortunately. Out of interest what does your emailed e-ticket receipt show? I would be complaining, hard, especially given you have the screenshot.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danmushman
yep, looks like you're correct unfortunately. Out of interest what does your emailed e-ticket receipt show? I would be complaining, hard, especially given you have the screenshot.
It shows economy, so evidently it changed somewhere between clicking the pay button and the booking being confirmed.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Possibly a dumb question, but are these transcons that have business class, or are they economy/domestic first config, and BAs IT didn't pick that up initially, but downgraded you later?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Possibly a dumb question, but are these transcons that have business class, or are they economy/domestic first config, and BAs IT didn't pick that up initially, but downgraded you later?
This codeshare maps to AA10 I think which is 3-class so has business (on a A321).
richiejv likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ratechaser
No it’s a fair question - it’s a transcon with first, business and economy class. Just checked on AA again which shows all for sale.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
So here’s what I did last time this happened to me:

1. Cancelled the booking
2. Rebooked
3. When it happened again, I reached out to AA and explained the issue and how BA said there was nothing they could do. Showed evidence of it all booking into J. They liased with OneWorld desk and eventually the ticket was reissued.
4. Claimed back incurred cancellation costs from BA.

EDIT: My affected flight was the BA Codeshare for AA10, which it sounds like was the same exact flight you had an issue with. This was about ten days ago I had this problem; flight was not for me so I’m not sure my status made a difference on securing the resolution I did.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wutlol
So here’s what I did last time this happened to me:

1. Cancelled the booking
2. Rebooked
3. When it happened again, I reached out to AA and explained the issue and how BA said there was nothing they could do. Showed evidence of it all booking into J. They liased with OneWorld desk and eventually the ticket was reissued.
4. Claimed back incurred cancellation costs from BA.

EDIT: My affected flight was the BA Codeshare for AA10, which it sounds like was the same exact flight you had an issue with. This was about ten days ago I had this problem; flight was not for me so I’m not sure my status made a difference on securing the resolution I did.
Thank you, that's very helpful and reassuring that it's not just happening to me! Did AA charge you for the "upgrade", and have BA put up much of a fight yet about cancellation costs?

Just to add a quick update - I just spoke to AA, who tell me they can't help me as it's a BA fare. Perhaps it may be best to do it over email, but I'll try BA again.

Last edited by richiejv; Jul 31, 2023 at 4:31 am
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
On a side note, Disneyland then Vegas sounds like a fantastic trip. Enjoy! (Hopefully in J)
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marconess
On a side note, Disneyland then Vegas sounds like a fantastic trip. Enjoy! (Hopefully in J)
Thanks, that’s our plan! May need a day off work to rest after…
marconess likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.