Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL for life. Why not at 70.000 TP?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:51 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ratechaser
9 consecutive years of Silver now for me - admittedly through a lot of different and very specific circumstances over time. Even so, I must be close to earning some sort of lifetime honorary award, no?
I'd have been very pleased if BA offered GGLfL for 10 consecutive years at GGL, which I have already achieved and exceeded - but it seems they forgot to send the invitation

I am happy with Gold for Life - and for the first time since 2011 I will fall off GGL this year as I'm too far away from renewal to make any effort to keep it, so now is the year that I wean myself off.
ratechaser likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
Post on here another 7,933 times and you'll become a Flyertalk 'Evangalist', people will take more notice of you and that's something money can't buy
If only FT had its own lounges that I could access at 'Evangelist' tier
PETER01 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
A Gold member meeting the minimum TP requirements a year would reach GfL in 23.3 years.

A GGL member meeting the minimum TP requirements (5000 in year 1, 3000 for renewal) would reach GfL in just 11 years. To collect the remaining 65,000 TP's for GGLfL, one would need to hit the minimum 3,000 threshold for another 21.6 years.

Therefore, GfL = 23.3 years of loyalty based on minimum qualifying requirements for status level. GGLfL = 32.6 years of loyalty based on minimum qualifying requirements for status level (clearly, people can earn much faster than that, if they're collecting more than the minimum TP's for each status level). This has no doubt factored in to BA's thinking when setting these lifetime thresholds.

Under your proposed 70,000 limit for GGLfL, someone earning the minimum GGL requirements each year could reach that level in 22.6 years (actually lower than someone earning the minimums for Gold).

Customer Lifetime Value is a thing...
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by xenole
Not even sure these CIV scores mean a lot anyway.
They absolutely do.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
I would be glad it exists at all. AA doesn’t even give EXP for life, let alone CK.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 9:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Not even sure these CIV scores mean a lot anyway. Sort of like these credit scores from Experian etc. (999 out of 1000)
Proof is how you're treated by the airline and we all know it's a very, very mixed bag.
I don't think comparing it to Experian is right though. My credit rating is at the top end and I don't see no Experian car picking me up or taking me to/from the Bank when I go to remortgage every few years!

Seriously though, I think it's definitely about spend too tbh.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
What makes you think GGLfLs are retired? Many, certainly those I know, are far from retired and their travel patterns are just as heavy as they were prior to qualifying.
sorry. Should have been more clear. That was an illustrative example of GGLfL reducing their flying amount. But I guess my main point is that if you fly less and/or are retired/no longer have influence, you are possibly less importance to the company than those who are flying lots and/or working. Hence my puzzle and suggestion on CIV scores.

it does seem to be company benevolence for the higher civ score as the higher CIV is not a published benefit to encourage GGLfL.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: GGLfL
Well, perhaps they'll fly loads of times for leisure, or it's just a way of saying thank you to someone who they know won't fly often with them so it won't ultimately cost them anything?

Not even sure these CIV scores mean a lot anyway. Sort of like these credit scores from Experian etc. (999 out of 1000)
Proof is how you're treated by the airline and we all know it's a very, very mixed bag.
When you are CIV=100, there is no mixed bag at all. It is all very consistent and excellent.
It is a highly appreciated reward for some 20 years of flying 5000+ TP/ year.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
First of all - you are all lucky there is lifetime gold. I am stuck at LT Saphire on AA and every million miles I get 4 international upgrades now... I am too old to start another - I am trying to do *Gold for life - and I do think there is value having status even when travel dips some in retirement - as a matter of fact I think it might be of more value then than now.

First time I heard about a CIV score - I assume one has one of those as a non BA EC member as well. I do get OPUPS on occasion.

Last edited by flying_geek; Jul 4, 2023 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flying_geek
First of all - you are all lucky there is lifetime gold. I am stuck at LT Saphire on AA and every million miles I get 4 international upgrades now... I am too old to start another - I am trying to do *Gold for life - and I do think there is value having status even when travel dips some in retirement - as a matter of fact I think it might be of more value then than now.

First time I heard about a CIV score - I assume one has one of those as a non BA EC member as well. I do get OPUPS on occasion.
What is a CIV score?
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
What is a CIV score?
Have a look at the forum dashboard, BA Forum Dashboard
Post #8 has a pointer to the Glossary: BA Forum Glossary
which tells you for CIV:
"CIV - Corporate Individual Value (numerical score used by BA for differentiating and prioritising passengers by their perceived commercial value)"
Old Jul 4, 2023, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
What is a CIV score?
Here and there's been a few threads over the years if you googled CIV.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29600873-post8.html
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
Here and there's been a few threads over the years if you googled CIV.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29600873-post8.html
Thanks. I am not fully certain that is how OpUps work though. If I am in a cabin that is oversold or possibly oversold I usually get an upgrade. If non EC customers are 0-4 - and that was the basis - I should never get an upgrade. My most recent upgrade was LHR-MIA J->F - the flight was J0 F4 with only 2 Seats in F assigned. Smelled like J oversold and I was disappointed to not get an upgrade hours before (more often than not, I get upgrades a few hours before departure) but I did get it before boarding. There is no way that a CIV score of 1-4 was the highest (or 2nd highest) in a full J cabin on a 380
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Trippelone
Gold renewal is at 1.500 TP. GGL renewal is at 3.000 TP, twice the amount for Gold. Gold for life is at 35.000 TP. The most logical threshold for GGL for life seems then 70.000 TP and not 100.000 TP as it is today. Many frequent flyers become frustrated after reaching Gold for life because the next 100.000 target is almost unreachable. Setting a realistic target for GGL for life would probably benefit BA as more frequent flyers would give it a try. Am I wrong?
Because BA, who have access to the data you do not, have calculated how many GGLfL they wish to support and set the threshold accordingly. Personally, I'd set it at about 89,000.
Markie and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by flying_geek
Thanks. I am not fully certain that is how OpUps work though. If I am in a cabin that is oversold or possibly oversold I usually get an upgrade. If non EC customers are 0-4 - and that was the basis - I should never get an upgrade. My most recent upgrade was LHR-MIA J->F - the flight was J0 F4 with only 2 Seats in F assigned. Smelled like J oversold and I was disappointed to not get an upgrade hours before (more often than not, I get upgrades a few hours before departure) but I did get it before boarding. There is no way that a CIV score of 1-4 was the highest (or 2nd highest) in a full J cabin on a 380
Op ups are decided by DUT which stands for Discretionary Upgrade Tool and a high CIV doesn't always determine any upgrade.

There can be numerous combinations as to why someone is upgaded which might not always seem to be logical. Ticket type/cost, status, single traveller and various other factors are at play but not exclusively. Various threads on FT over the years. Anyhow, let's get back to the 70k TP title/discussion

There is now an official upgrade list

Pete
crazy8534 likes this.

Last edited by PETER01; Jul 4, 2023 at 1:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.