Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

G-XLEA BA207 LHR-MIA circling over Atlantic burning off fuel before returning to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G-XLEA BA207 LHR-MIA circling over Atlantic burning off fuel before returning to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:09 am

Programs: TK*G
Originally Posted by Football Fan
No special security measures, food served as normal (at least in F), etc.

No concern on board whatsoever, other than being annoyed at wasting a day.
Thanks for the reply!
I guess you will be having the same lunch again today? 🤔
Football Fan, wrp96 and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by xfisgsm
Did they zero out availability for BA297 tomorrow (Friday) in anticipation of a cancellation?
According to FlightRadar24, this frame is scheduled for the IAD 293/292 rotation today. I’m scheduled on 292 tonight. It was pretty full all week but it’s zeroed out now. Hopefully it’s an easy fix today and it goes out as scheduled. My last BA 292 flight was delayed until 3am and then landed at LHR right in the middle of the IT meltdown last month. Hoping for a better experience tonight!
veron689908 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
According to FlightRadar24, this frame is scheduled for the IAD 293/292 rotation today. I’m scheduled on 292 tonight. It was pretty full all week but it’s zeroed out now. Hopefully it’s an easy fix today and it goes out as scheduled. My last BA 292 flight was delayed until 3am and then landed at LHR right in the middle of the IT meltdown last month. Hoping for a better experience tonight!
I would have thought it would make sense to swap the frame on the DFW flight over to the IAD flight (which it seems they have done as the DFW flight has been cancelled already). DFW being an AA hub makes it easier to rebook pax than if they cancelled any other A380 routes, there are 5 AA 777s today, plus they can get pax to DFW in one stop via pretty much any US airport, as everywhere that BA fly to in the US from LHR, AA fly to from DFW.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan
That's the flight from yesterday. It still has all checked baggage on board.
Don’t believe so. That airframe is now scheduled on a IAD rotation later today, so they must have offloaded the baggage.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Door5L
The 747-8 was always the right and reliable option and not the A380. Sorry. No doubt the 380 retirement will start to be accelerated given how they are impacting on operations quite significantly
According to BA the A380s are being refurbished not retired.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:49 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
When BA made the decision to replace the 744 it decided that it wanted the big twins, as they are far more efficient. There are a grand total of 48 747-8is built, 19 went to LH as a part compensation for a cancelled order, 10 and 7 went to Air China and Korean (can’t remember off hand who has which amount) 7, I think went to a lease company and a handful are elsewhere. No large carrier really chose them as a viable option as their economics suck compared to big twins.

The 380 order was more about LHR and capacity issues. History has already adjudged the 747-8i a commercial flop, the rest is a nostalgic like of the old jumbo, but in reality commercially it was a plane no-one really wanted, brought to market by the people who brought you the 737DeathMachine - sorry MAX. Boeing were trying to spoil the 380 not really trying to put out a sensible competitor. All the people who saw the financial side of it, walked away from the deal.
agreed but my post was focussing on the original comment of whether it would have been better to go for the 747-8 versus the a380 to cover those requirements at slot-constrained airports. As such the big twin aspect isn’t relevant in this case.

As part of that I’m talking about how airlines have found them since purchase. To me, the success will be measured by how long we see these aircraft remain in the skies. Versus the a380, no 747-8is have been retired… yet. Will be interesting to see what happens with the eventual arrival of the 777x

Didn’t BA consider the 747-8 but wanted RR engines which Boeing weren’t prepared/able to do?
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Am curious as to why not just dump all required fuel by jettison? What would be the operational reasons why fuel would first be jettisoned, then further fuel reduced by circling for 2 hours to bring it down further? Or were both actually being done simultaneously to maximise the rate?
Most airliners with dump capability can only dump from a specific tank or tanks and or a limited quantity. Depending on the zero fuel weight of the aircraft on that specific flight this may or may not get you below the max landing weight. On the 767ER as an example you can only dump down to 80,000 lbs. That fuel load can still leave you above max landing weight.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Because you can't. Fuel Jettison on the 380 is only the maximum 80t in the main wing tanks. The rest of it has to be burnt off if it’s not an emergency.
In rough terms, what’s the difference in fuel burn between a deliberate low altitude, flaps / gear down situation and normal cruise at altitude?

Originally Posted by Jeff767
Most airliners with dump capability can only dump from a specific tank or tanks and or a limited quantity. Depending on the zero fuel weight of the aircraft on that specific flight this may or may not get you below the max landing weight. On the 767ER as an example you can only dump down to 80,000 lbs. That fuel load can still leave you above max landing weight.
Makes sense to me, you wouldn’t want a malfunction in the dumping system to drain all your tanks!
adrianlondon and Bradhattan like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I wish people on this thread would just listen to the professionals and not play arm chair pilot. Waterhorse and other highly competent professionals have already provided facts, yet people keep second guessing…
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
as was the L1011, the best aircraft I ever operated. A pilots dream and a commercial failure.
I've heard this kind of comment from those who flew the L1011 many times. It really has a lot of love from those who operated it. I know it's off topic, but what were the things that made you enjoy it so much? I'd be curious to know.
SW7London and krispy84 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:02 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
I wish people on this thread would just listen to the professionals and not play arm chair pilot. Waterhorse and other highly competent professionals have already provided facts, yet people keep second guessing…
Seems to me that people are asking genuine questions and are interested in the answers from the BA folks. Asking a question is not being an armchair pilot

Equally, mild speculation is also a way of asking a question and when an airline professional corrects this that is also welcomed.
40degreeswest likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by FFMilesJunkie
Just cancelled sadly. Any ideas how long this airframe will be out of action?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
You'd think that, but I was due on the 192 tonight and was told there was nothing available on AA today. I managed to get the nicest guy on the BA Gold line (after the first one was hopeless) who re-booked me and my two auditors who were in Y on the AUS flight today. BA basically told them that there was no availability for 2 days and couldn't re-book them on other routes.

There seems to be zero desire to re-book people on alternative routes/carriers and many infrequent/non-seasoned travellers accept this as gospel as they don't know any different.

This makes no sense to me as, with the help above, we all managed to get re-booked on an existing flight that had seats and are due to get back to ABZ at the same time on Saturday. If we hadn't, that would have been 3 compo claims for 500 euros plus extra hotels, food etc. Multiply that up by a few hundred passengers and you'd think BA would want to spend more money on getting people re-routed as quickly as possible.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I've heard this kind of comment from those who flew the L1011 many times. It really has a lot of love from those who operated it. I know it's off topic, but what were the things that made you enjoy it so much? I'd be curious to know.
PM sent
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Door5L
The 747-8 was always the right and reliable option and not the A380. Sorry. No doubt the 380 retirement will start to be accelerated given how they are impacting on operations quite significantly
Right or wrong decision, she would have been a looker

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.