Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

G-XLEA BA207 LHR-MIA circling over Atlantic burning off fuel before returning to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G-XLEA BA207 LHR-MIA circling over Atlantic burning off fuel before returning to LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze

BA207 has been circling over the Atlantic for a while now, captain has informed ATC that they have a standby system failure, so they're holding to burn fuel for about 2 hours before landing at LHR. The captain said on the radio that the aircraft will be grounded as a result. Aircraft is G-XLEA (A380), presumably this will worsen BA's ongoing frame shortage and may cause some cancellations of flights in the coming days.

ATC audio:
Football Fan likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Football Fan likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by zaphod424
ATC audio:
Twitter post says "#BAW207 advising London on 132.950".

I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it that is technically illegal to post.

Whilst one might use a scanner for one's personal use (although some might argue it's a grey area). Recording is verboten and re-posting on-line is very much a big fat NO.

Whilst other jurisdictions might allow it (e.g. US, I believe are ok with it). UK jurisdiction is not.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by OuterBanks
I'm not a lawyer, but
….hang it in the Louvre….

I hope it all goes as planned as these things normally do.
skipness1E likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
….hang it in the Louvre….

I hope it all goes as planned as these things normally do.
nobody mention the ATC audio channels over on YouTube then 🙉😵‍💫
BearX220 and zaphod424 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
What a miserable day for all concerned. 2hr delay and then a 5hr flight back to LHR.

Hope everything turns out OK.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:17 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Originally Posted by OuterBanks
Twitter post says "#BAW207 advising London on 132.950".

I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand it that is technically illegal to post.

Whilst one might use a scanner for one's personal use (although some might argue it's a grey area). Recording is verboten and re-posting on-line is very much a big fat NO.

Whilst other jurisdictions might allow it (e.g. US, I believe are ok with it). UK jurisdiction is not.
I’m also not a lawyer but since ATC is already a public frequency, is there an expectation of privacy? I’m not arguing with you on legality. Most laws on the topic are centered around recording of private conversations which ATC communications probably are not. I’m curious if there have been any court cases on the matter.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danielflyer
I’m also not a lawyer but since ATC is already a public frequency, is there an expectation of privacy? I’m not arguing with you on legality. Most laws on the topic are centered around recording of private conversations which ATC communications probably are not. I’m curious if there have been any court cases on the matter.
it’s not made up. Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (section 48 I think), bearing in mind ATC is not intended for general broadcast.

the rights and wrongs can be left for another thread.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:28 am

The 747-8 was always the right and reliable option and not the A380. Sorry. No doubt the 380 retirement will start to be accelerated given how they are impacting on operations quite significantly
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
One doesn’t need to be a lawyer. It’s illegal under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 (I believe).

I don’t think there have been any prosecutions however that’s not really the point.
nancypants, becks1 and zen100 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Door5L
The 747-8 was always the right and reliable option and not the A380. Sorry. No doubt the 380 retirement will start to be accelerated given how they are impacting on operations quite significantly
Completely disagree; most other airlines' A380s aren't as useless as BAs. As a passenger, the A380 is the most comfortable way to fly.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by danielflyer
Yup. It's illegal to just generally listen in. Off the top of my head, the Wireless Telegraphy Act. You can only listen in, if you have a direct interest in doing so, such as piloting an aircraft in that area.

An expert in the field can clarify/correct.

Given that scanners themselves are legal, it's virtually impossible to police it - Unless you're stupid enough to admit you've done it on twitter
flygirl68, nancypants and Mekko like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zen100
Yup. It's illegal to just generally listen in. Off the top of my head, the Wireless Telegraphy Act. You can only listen in, if you have a direct interest in doing so, such as piloting an aircraft in that area.
Just curious then, is liveatc.net not accessible from a UK ip address?
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by zdcatc12; Jun 22, 2023 at 11:41 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
yes absolutely, but it won’t be streaming any uk stations. You are fine to use LiveATC in the uk and listen to ATC in the USA for example.

The law only applies to broadcast stations and equipment in the UK, over the UK, or in UK waters. So in the above case I think atc with Shannon oceanic wouldn’t be covered, but ATC with Shanwick oceanic or London control (the 132.950 frequency) would be.
zdcatc12 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
It's accessible but I'm not sure they cover any UK airspace. I could be wrong.

I know a couple of streamers have had conversations with Ofcom regarding this. Speedbird TV is one. Their videos state ATC is provided for educational purposes only (not an excuse in law as far as I'm aware) but, so far, they haven't been prosecuted.

Funnily enough they also claim copyright over the images in their videos - quote "ALL VIDEO IS COPYRIGHT SDTV 2022. DO NOT UPLOAD WITHOUT PERMISS".

Hypocrites.
zdcatc12, KARFA and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.