Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Skytrax 2023 Awards - BA slips from 11th to 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Just looking at some BA news articles and this is just not long out with BA having apparently slipped from 11th to 18th this year for the World's Top 20 Airlines.

It did achieve 10th place in the the Most Family Friendly Airline category. BA did win the Best Airline Staff in the UK and the Best Cabin Staff in the UK though.

I know these awards have caused some discussion before and how 'independent' are they? Oh, please don't shoot the messenger here! (or fully quote the whole of this first post please!)

https://skytraxratings.com/singapore...airline-awards

https://www.worldairlineawards.com/

The World’s Top 20 Airlines in 2023
  1. Singapore Airlines
  2. Qatar Airways
  3. ANA All Nippon Airways
  4. Emirates
  5. Japan Airlines
  6. Turkish Airlines
  7. Air France
  8. Cathay Pacific
  9. EVA Air
  10. Korean Air
  11. Hainan Airlines
  12. Swiss Int’l Air Lines
  13. Etihad Airways
  14. Iberia
  15. Fiji Airways
  16. Vistara
  17. Qantas Airways
  18. British Airways
  19. Air New Zealand
  20. Delta Air Lines
WORLD’S MOST FAMILY FRIENDLY AIRLINE

1. Air Canada
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Emirates
4. Qatar Airways
5. ANA All Nippon Airways
6. Japan Airlines
7. Virgin Atlantic
8. Etihad Airways
9. EVA Air
10. British Airways

The World’s Best Cabin Staff in 2023 and The World’s Cleanest Airlines in 2023 - No BA in the top 10.

Winners - Best Airline Staff in the UK and Best Cabin Staff in the UK

Pete
crazy8534 likes this.

Last edited by PETER01; Jun 20, 2023 at 11:02 am Reason: adding info
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by PETER01
Just looking at some BA news articles and this is just not long out with BA having apparently slipped from 11th to 18th this year for the World's Top 20 Airlines.
I think Qantas have more to worry about with their fall from 5 to 17!
PETER01 and SxMan like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Interesting the only awards BA picked up were Best Airline Staff in the UK and Best Cabin Crew in the UK. Ironic considering some of the discussions on this board (e.g. the current Dine on Demand in F thread)
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Interesting the only awards BA picked up were Best Airline Staff in the UK and Best Cabin Crew in the UK. Ironic considering some of the discussions on this board (e.g. the current Dine on Demand in F thread)
Well, spotted. I'll amend my opening post.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Worse than Iberia, ouch.

Not sure who votes for these but to be fair with BA's recent IT issues, seemingly ongoing operational issues and current perception of poor CS/claim resolution it's not hard to see why, regardless of what is happening on board (good or bad).
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I'm actually not at all surprised by this. I highly rate BA cabin crew - granted, I fly mainly Club Europe with the occasional Club World thrown in - so no Dine on Demand issues for me! They are, in my experience, usually professional, friendly, work hard and really make for a great flight. Sure, you're going to have bad apples or people having a bad day here and there, but I almost never see it. The BA staff are generally some of the best in the sky.
Englishlee0710 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I'm actually not at all surprised by this. I highly rate BA cabin crew - granted, I fly mainly Club Europe with the occasional Club World thrown in - so no Dine on Demand issues for me! They are, in my experience, usually professional, friendly, work hard and really make for a great flight. Sure, you're going to have bad apples or people having a bad day here and there, but I almost never see it. The BA staff are generally some of the best in the sky.
TBH I tend to agree with you. Most of my post-pandemic flying nowadays is in CE, however, when I do fly long haul it's often in F and that's where, in my experience, the inconsistency comes in - some flights will be spectacular, others will be mediocre at best. But, F travel accounts for such a small % of flyers that I can see why based on the bulk of flying experience in Y or J they won these awards.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Clearly LH canceled the direct debit
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by PETER01
I know these awards have caused some discussion before and how 'independent' are they? Oh, please don't shoot the messenger here! (or fully quote the whole of this first post please!)
For what it's worth, our youngest son married a Swiss girl a couple of years ago, so they have been flying Swiss a good deal more than BA. Both of them (yes, even our super patriotic Swiss daughter in law) are agreed that BA is WAY ahead of Swiss in all aspects. In case it's relevant, they almost always fly economy, although they have had the occasional upgrade on BA.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:07 pm
formerly rt23456p

SQ ranked first while serving SAF food in Economy, tomorrow your officers and sergeants in the camps shouting: Soldier Blessed, you are served the same food as our beloved best in world national carrier is serving.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
TBH I tend to agree with you. Most of my post-pandemic flying nowadays is in CE, however, when I do fly long haul it's often in F and that's where, in my experience, the inconsistency comes in - some flights will be spectacular, others will be mediocre at best. But, F travel accounts for such a small % of flyers that I can see why based on the bulk of flying experience in Y or J they won these awards.
I agree about the short-haul crews being brilliant. I really do look forward to flying CE. Long-haul tends to be more hit and miss. We've had some excellent crews, some mediocre, and some bad - and in some cases you end up with all three on the same flight!
Lucanesque and PETER01 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by mikebg
For what it's worth, our youngest son married a Swiss girl a couple of years ago, so they have been flying Swiss a good deal more than BA. Both of them (yes, even our super patriotic Swiss daughter in law) are agreed that BA is WAY ahead of Swiss in all aspects. In case it's relevant, they almost always fly economy, although they have had the occasional upgrade on BA.
I mean for the most part when flying economy it's the same ...., different toilet. The only two airlines who really stand out in the long haul economy market are ANA and JAL, who have more of an incentive to compete (and not just on price) in that market as many Japanese companies have economy only policies even for relatively senior employees. BA in economy are pretty much in line with if not better than what you'd get on the ME3, European and other (non-Japanese) Asian carriers in Y, IME anyway.
bzado likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:05 pm

Fiji in at 15... Not a chance. Even BA is better than FJ.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: Tribe 54 Sweat Lodge 12
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Clearly LH canceled the direct debit
Lmaoooo savage. I questioned LH being a "5 star" for the longest time, several years+ now. They def had to pay to get that bs rating in the first place. No surprise for an airline where economy can see what you're doing sitting in F.

Originally Posted by Calum
Fiji in at 15... Not a chance. Even BA is better than FJ.
Paradise flight bias, maybe?
Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I guess BA dropping to 18th place isn't good, but they are still 64 places above AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.