Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Turned away from LHR T5 Galleries North lounge (full)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turned away from LHR T5 Galleries North lounge (full)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2023, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
To be fair, I dont think they could have predicted the strength in the rebound of travel. I remember when UA predicted this nearly two years ago they were widely ridiculed. The consensus was that it would take a long time for travel to reach 2019 levels.
I disagree they would have got good data from.the double TP promotion and kept extending it.

They saw the opportunity to pivot from premium business travel to premium leisure travel and it worked.

I can't complain too much given what I got out of it
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Deckard
my recollection is, Nah mate, Luton airport. First you had to be there
Your recollection is incorrect ( see
)
kanderson1965 and fbrj like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DXB2745
Agree but BA must have known what would happen if they effectively made getting status extremely easy - three trips in club to Athens, Bucharest, Sofia etc and there you go silver status for a year and then some. Also, the constant extension of the BAH double tier point promotion. Some may say they have perhaps been too generous.
Bear in mind they were returning from their industry being severely curtailed (for some parts of the period, essentially shut down) and in dire need of making some money. Incentives to earn BA status would have the effect of both encouraging bookings and, more critically, encouraging loyalty to BA and bringing in additional spend. The impact on their lounges was probably not something they cared about much. It was a pretty good initiative from BA.

The crowding will resolve itself over the next year or so, most likely. Hopefully complaints don't lead to BA "enhancing" status benefits...
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Cw novice
​​​​​​
Given you can get Silver with 50 flights in lowest Y I don't see how they can get away with this at all.

Better encouragement of the use of 5B lounge for flights departing from B+C would make more sense.
the 5B point is interesting. Perhaps at busy times that needs enforcing - its perverse there are flights from B/C but people still use N+S lounges whilst B is sitting there empty.

Obviously no 1st or CCR at B however.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by DXB2745
the 5B point is interesting. Perhaps at busy times that needs enforcing - it’s perverse there are flights from B/C but people still use N+S lounges whilst B is sitting there empty.

Obviously no 1st or CCR at B however.
Hardly “empty”. When I flew to YUL at start of May the lounge indicators showed T5B to be one “man” versus 4 “men” in Galleries North and South. When we got to to T5B Galleries it was pretty much full to capacity as well.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Silver who fly economy AFTER being diligent about obtaining status....without the double TP promotion status is not easily obtained. I personally used a selection of WT+ transatlantic flights and W flights during my WT year to obtain silver. BA's across the board WT+ price increases to mirror business travel has forced me to reevaluate my travel as it is doubtful I can attain silver going forward flying economy and mixing it with a business fare price for WT+...I hope to have gold this year to give me the soft landing over the next 2 years and hopefully the dust settles....having flown MANY years as a blue/bronze I will miss silver benefits if the pricing structure makes it difficult for me to attain it going forward...now what to do with that inventory of avios I have if BA loses my loyalty that has accrued over the past 15 years.

First world problems of course.
lhrsfo and HarbourGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.