Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for BA on-board Wi-Fi improvements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci

I think the availability of Wi-Fi on BA is a great thing and overall works reasonably well, particularly for SH and US east coast, west coast not so good as flying further north and so out of range for a bit. I was thinking about it after I got round to watching the BA documentary that was on channel 5 last week and a section of it was dedicated to them fitting the Wi-Fi equipment to a 787 that was being refitted. There are a couple of other things that I would be happy to see:

1. The free Wi-Fi in F is good but if you disconnect then it always seems to spit you out forever and any subsequent attempt to re-connect results in being told that your seat number/booking/surname combination is not found. It might be better if they could remove the single device restriction? Also wondering if it has something to do with the iOS protect your IP address function?

2. When flying F it would be good to also have free Wi-Fi on any connecting SH flights. Now I have no doubt that BA's IT would not be able to withstand such an interrogation but it seems like a not unreasonable desire to me....

3. I have my cheap Finnair "flash-sale" trip coming up and I was noticing that they offer (a) free messaging/email access for 30m on SH and 1hr on LH in business class (b) completely free access to Wi-Fi for their own OWE (Finnair Plus Platinum) members (not sure if that is extended to other OWE members?). These seem like decent quality benefits and I think it would be great if BA did the same with a short period for everyone in CE/CW and free access for BA gold.

Of course not really imagining that BA will do any of the above but interested in what the views of my fellow board members are.
Do you use the Wi-Fi on-board much? How do you find it? Any suggestions to improve the offering?
I particularly like the fact that even if you haven't paid for access you can still connect to the BA app and website and so keep track of flight status etc. for onward connections.
Also AA do a reasonable job of providing some IFE via the Wi-Fi in SH. Could BA do the same?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
Agree the WIFI on BA is pretty good most of the time.
I would like a simpler charging system than paying per flight - so I don't have to pay on every flight. So if I login then it automatically charges my account. Not looking for cheaper, just easier to get up and running.
In F it would be good if the free wifi covered your phone as well as laptop - important if you need MFA and good for during landing.
crazy8534, becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
What I find maddening is that if the wifi is defective BA takes a very, very long time to repair it on the aircraft concerned. So G-VIIX has been without wifi since at least December, it's been reported by staff in excess of 30 times, and presumably much than that by passengers, but it remains unfixed. Given the investment in this kit, based on a business case, this is surely maddening to BA's management. Assuming they know about this, of course.

What I would like is something like the AA system of being able to buy a monthly subscription. With lots of short haul services lasting an hour or less of usable time in the air, it doesn't really make sense to buy a package, but if there was a monthly plan that would get more money out of me, not less.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
As an end user; I've found BA's wifi to be pretty reliable even on long haul routes over bodies of land/water where you'd expect it to get choppy - like Bay of Bengal. The price isn't steep enough for me to opt not to on flights longer than 4+ hours.

Never had the unbridled pleasure of flying BA First. Happy to take gifts though.

The biggest issue with Wifi for me is reconnecting after losing it (for tech reasons, range, equipment - whatever). I've had a few occasions where I have lost access and had to pay again to regain access... I imagine the same issues apply in F.

I would also support multiuse devices instead of just phone; I'm usually a leisure traveller so I don't typically need multiple devices - however for the business minded being able to have work/private phones and/or laptop all connected would be useful - even if it meant a slightly higher price for your employer to pay whilst keeping you productive on the flight.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What I find maddening is that if the wifi is defective BA takes a very, very long time to repair it on the aircraft concerned. So G-VIIX has been without wifi since at least December, it's been reported by staff in excess of 30 times, and presumably much than that by passengers, but it remains unfixed. Given the investment in this kit, based on a business case, this is surely maddening to BA's management. Assuming they know about this, of course.

………………………….

[bold added]

But in truth how can it be “maddening” to BA management when it is - ultimately - within their own gift to resolve matters ?

Personally I find it hard to decide which would be more of a concern : the notion that a defective item (albeit not a safety-related one) could be reported on well over 30 occasions without a member of management actually becoming aware …… OR …..that management IS aware and yet can’t be bothered to demand that the issue be addressed.

On my last BA flight, wifi was working well (indeed better than on most carriers IME)
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:17 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Please do explain to me why it is necessary to have wifi at all? I'm not being Luddite but I'm not sure that I need to be on my Facebook or read my mails at 35,000. I am totally open minded in the matter so please tell me why it appears to be so important. One of the wonderful things about flying to me was that one was off line and uncontactable.

I suppose that it does mean that one can huff and puff on Flyertalk en direct and I am sure that must be of assistance to some.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Please do explain to me why it is necessary to have wifi at all? I'm not being Luddite but I'm not sure that I need to be on my Facebook or read my mails at 35,000. I am totally open minded in the matter so please tell me why it appears to be so important. One of the wonderful things about flying to me was that one was off line and uncontactable.

I suppose that it does mean that one can huff and puff on Flyertalk en direct and I am sure that must be of assistance to some.
For me it’s so I can access entertainment more tailored to what I like (netflix, youtube) rather than social media or be limited to just what BA’s (pretty decent) range of IFE is that month.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Please do explain to me why it is necessary to have wifi at all?

………………………………………………………

It’s really not about huffing and puffing PUCCI.

With many sectors hovering around the 15 hour mark, many business travellers will use some of that lengthy out-of-office spell to conduct ….. er …. business.

But whether leisure or business, lack of WiFi access would make a dent in BA’s product where competition vs other carriers is concerned (and they really don’t need any more dents than they already have ……)
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Jeedos
For me it’s so I can access entertainment more tailored to what I like (netflix, youtube) rather than social media or be limited to just what BA’s (pretty decent) range of IFE is that month.
Can't you download them onto your Ipad or Phone? That's what I do - IFE is usually rubbish.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by subject2load
It’s really not about huffing and puffing PUCCI.
You could have fooled me Love!

With many sectors hovering around the 15 hour mark, many business travellers will use some of that lengthy out-of-office spell to conduct ….. er …. business.

But whether leisure or business, lack of WiFi access would make a dent in BA’s product where competition vs other carriers is concerned (and they really don’t need any more dents than they already have ……)
15 Mark? That's LHR - EZE - they conduct business in those lay-flat seats do they?
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci

It's a very fair question, PUCCI.
I will give my own example: emails, loads of them.
If I am travelling on business and get on a plane to the US at 11am UK time and get off at 8pm UK time I will have to spend an hour dealing with them when I would rather be relaxing in the hotel.
If I can do x2 30min stretches on board in otherwise fallow time (assuming I have not been drinking too much ) then it is much better for me overall!

Obviously if travelling Eastbound or on holiday it is much less important, and if I want to watch Netflix/Paramount/Amazon/Disney+, I agree I will just download beforehand.
BA or bust and EDIflyer like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Can't you download them onto your Ipad or Phone? That's what I do - IFE is usually rubbish.
Unfortunately one cannot elegantly download Flyertalk content and submit posts offline. It's not completely impossible but requires external tools. A not insignificant percentage of my posts are made when flying.

But yes, the broad internet experience when flying makes flights pass by very quickly, particularly the longer schleps like GRU and SEA.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Originally Posted by crazy8534
I think the availability of Wi-Fi on BA is a great thing and overall works reasonably well, particularly for SH and US east coast, west coast not so good as flying further north and so out of range for a bit. I was thinking about it after I got round to watching the BA documentary that was on channel 5 last week and a section of it was dedicated to them fitting the Wi-Fi equipment to a 787 that was being refitted. There are a couple of other things that I would be happy to see:

1. The free Wi-Fi in F is good but if you disconnect then it always seems to spit you out forever and any subsequent attempt to re-connect results in being told that your seat number/booking/surname combination is not found. It might be better if they could remove the single device restriction? Also wondering if it has something to do with the iOS protect your IP address function?

2. When flying F it would be good to also have free Wi-Fi on any connecting SH flights. Now I have no doubt that BA's IT would not be able to withstand such an interrogation but it seems like a not unreasonable desire to me....

3. I have my cheap Finnair "flash-sale" trip coming up and I was noticing that they offer (a) free messaging/email access for 30m on SH and 1hr on LH in business class (b) completely free access to Wi-Fi for their own OWE (Finnair Plus Platinum) members (not sure if that is extended to other OWE members?). These seem like decent quality benefits and I think it would be great if BA did the same with a short period for everyone in CE/CW and free access for BA gold.

Of course not really imagining that BA will do any of the above but interested in what the views of my fellow board members are.
Do you use the Wi-Fi on-board much? How do you find it? Any suggestions to improve the offering?
I particularly like the fact that even if you haven't paid for access you can still connect to the BA app and website and so keep track of flight status etc. for onward connections.
Also AA do a reasonable job of providing some IFE via the Wi-Fi in SH. Could BA do the same?
The improvement would be to make it free!.....Where else do you pay these days
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unfortunately one cannot elegantly download Flyertalk content and submit posts offline. It's not completely impossible but requires external tools. A not insignificant percentage of my posts are made when flying.
That's one good reason then - you are a Treasure and SeatGuru apart I cannot recall anything remotely huff and puff about you
stifle, crazy8534, plunet and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
It's a very fair question, PUCCI.
I will give my own example: emails, loads of them.
If I am travelling on business and get on a plane to the US at 11am UK time and get off at 8pm UK time I will have to spend an hour dealing with them when I would rather be relaxing in the hotel.
If I can do x2 30min stretches on board in otherwise fallow time (assuming I have not been drinking too much ) then it is much better for me overall!

Obviously if travelling Eastbound or on holiday it is much less important, and if I want to watch Netflix/Paramount/Amazon/Disney+, I agree I will just download beforehand.
Yes - I completely get that. It is a tragedy of the modern world that we are so expected to be instantly available and accessable, but there it is.

I watched the whole of Season 3 Happy Valley which I downloaded en route to EZE and was glad of the darkened cabin as I shed a small tear at the end.
crazy8534 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.