Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why am I overtaken by other aircraft before take-off?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why am I overtaken by other aircraft before take-off?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2023, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by BOH
A bit of a tongue-in-cheek observation / question of course but do any airlines get preferential treatment at airports?

Without fail at Gatwick, on a BA plane we usually get out to the holding point and seem to sit there for a minimum 10-15 minutes whilst a string of Easyjet planes go past us and take-off. Usually it seems at least 50% of these have arrived at the holding area after the BA one I am on - but then depart ahead of us. It can't be due to plane types for separation distance as they are all A32X series. Whether they are turning left or right on departure maybe?

Plus regarding push-back times, one frequently will hear a member of the flight deck say "we are ready to go so are negotiating with air traffic for an earlier departure". Now to most the word "negotiate" means to trade something in exchange for something in return and a quick google of the meaning is: to transfer to another in return for something of equal value. Therefore what exactly does a member of the flight deck have to offer the fine chap in ATC in return for a better slot time?

So maybe during the push-back time "negotiation" the Easyjet pilots have more up their sleeve to offer the ATC chaps and get the priority first onto the runway?
Negotiating is just lazy speak for begging😁 What we mean is that we will tell ATC that we are ready to move and if someone else cannot make their time, we might slip into that spot. Theres no real horse trading. When BMI was still in existence, BA pilots used to joke that the most frequently heard comment on LHR Ground Frequency, was after the BMI and that the second most common phrase was after the second BMI. When we merged our, now, colleagues said they had the same joke only with after the BA etc. Its a matter of perception, we go when its our turn and that turn is determined fairly - that is unless we are at CDG or FRA, of course🤣
BOH, flatlander, alex67500 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
A bit of a tongue-in-cheek observation / question of course but do any airlines get preferential treatment at airports?

Without fail at Gatwick, on a BA plane we usually get out to the holding point and seem to sit there for a minimum 10-15 minutes whilst a string of Easyjet planes go past us and take-off. Usually it seems at least 50% of these have arrived at the holding area after the BA one I am on - but then depart ahead of us. It can't be due to plane types for separation distance as they are all A32X series. Whether they are turning left or right on departure maybe?

Plus regarding push-back times, one frequently will hear a member of the flight deck say "we are ready to go so are negotiating with air traffic for an earlier departure". Now to most the word "negotiate" means to trade something in exchange for something in return and a quick google of the meaning is: to transfer to another in return for something of equal value. Therefore what exactly does a member of the flight deck have to offer the fine chap in ATC in return for a better slot time?

So maybe during the push-back time "negotiation" the Easyjet pilots have more up their sleeve to offer the ATC chaps and get the priority first onto the runway?
I can honestly say there's been no sign of any preferential treatment for any airlines at LHR. We really don't think of all the different coloured aircraft as competitors, just as those to whom we are provising a service.

The only thing I could think might appear a little bit preferential, is that sometimes when there's an opportunity for an aircraft to depart/taxi/pushback quickly via a complicated radio instruction, then chances are we'll choose a native English speaker (or maybe KLM, Lufthansa, SAS) just to reduce the possibility of the instruction not being understood on first transmission.

In terms of Gatwick, I would be guessing, but you might have a CTOT (BA from Gatwick are currently mainly to Spain/Med? I don't know), or your route might be subject to a temporarily-imposed greater Minimum Departure Interval, whereas some of the others you're seeing overtake might be domestic EZY flights which don't have such restrictions? Also, there could be situations where, depending on the taxiways used, you might have been able to get to the 'front' of the queue from where BA's stands are, by overtaking a few EZYs, but in terms of 'time order' you are behind them, so ATC is departing those first? We see it sometimes with 09R departures from T4...There may be 10 or so at the holding points to the north of the runway by T5, but the sole T4 departure trundles out and sits right by the threshold, even though it's no.11 for departure. After a few minutes it's still only no.8 and starts asking when it's going to be permitted to depart, because the fact it 'overtook' 10 others doesn't register from a human factors point of view.
BOH, Waterhorse, alex67500 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Heathrow Tower; Mar 30, 2023 at 3:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.