Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Tier Point Collection Year end date: which flights count?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:08 am
Original Poster

If my Tier Collection Point Year end date is, say, March 1, and I take a flight that starts on March 1, but lands on March 2, does that count to the previous year or the following one? Furthermore, I'm guessing any connecting flights on the same PNR on March 2, would then count to the following year even if the trip commenced on March 1?

Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
IIRC, it's the take-off date that counts. And, yes, TPs are assigned by sector/date. BUT ... TP year is the 8th of your renewal month, not the calendar 1st.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Tier point years always end on the 8th of a month so this scenario can't arise as written, but flights credit to the year they take off in (or were scheduled to take off in, e.g. a 23:30 departure on the 8th that gets an hour delay and leaves on the 9th will still be treated as the 8th).
BertieBadger and DiamondMile like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:39 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Flights taken on the 8th of the month (as T8191 notes, all TP collection years end on a 8th) credit to the current year, ending on that day.

For the purposes of being on the 8th, it is scheduled local departure time that counts, so a flight departing the West Coast of USA in the evening of the 8th will still credit to the existing year, even if it is already the 9th by local time at Heathrow.

Also as noted, this is applied to individual sectors, so if you take off from e.g. SFO on the 8th, and land on the 9th then connect up to GLA, then the long haul gets credited to the previous year, the short haul to the new year.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T8191
IIRC, it's the take-off date that counts. And, yes, TPs are assigned by sector/date. BUT ... TP year is the 8th of your renewal month, not the calendar 1st.
Thank you.

So if I fly e.g. LGW-DOH on BA (departure 8th; landing 9th), DOH-DEL on QR (departure 9th) - which is part of the same PNR, do you mean that the tier points from the DOH-DEL leg on the 9th would still be credited to previous year?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Flights taken on the 8th of the month (as T8191 notes, all TP collection years end on a 8th) credit to the current year, ending on that day.

For the purposes of being on the 8th, it is scheduled local departure time that counts, so a flight departing the West Coast of USA in the evening of the 8th will still credit to the existing year, even if it is already the 9th by local time at Heathrow.

Also as noted, this is applied to individual sectors, so if you take off from e.g. SFO on the 8th, and land on the 9th then connect up to GLA, then the long haul gets credited to the previous year, the short haul to the new year.
Got it, thanks. Didn't see this before posting my earlier question.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by martian
Thank you.

So if I fly e.g. LGW-DOH on BA (departure 8th; landing 9th), DOH-DEL on QR (departure 9th) - which is part of the same PNR, do you mean that the tier points from the DOH-DEL leg on the 9th would still be credited to previous year?
As said in the above posts, each flight credits to the year in which it took off. Your flight on the 9th would credit to the next year.

edit: further simultaneous posting
BertieBadger and Cymro like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by martian
Thank you.

No. That's the exact opposite of what happens.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I think martian has got it now. The PNR is just a booking thing, it's the individual sectors that are relevant to TP collecting. So ...

LGW-DOH departing on the 8th credits to current year.
DOH-DEL departing on the 9th credits to the new year.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
I have to fly on the 7th of the month my tier point year ends but want the tier points to be in the following year. F**k my life !!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:53 am

Is there any way that BA would move the TPs into the following collection year if asked? Similar situation of flying a couple of days before TP collection year ends having already requalified for status.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:55 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by mcd1
Is there any way that BA would move the TPs into the following collection year if asked? Similar situation of flying a couple of days before TP collection year ends having already requalified for status.
No. Simply will not happen.

TP can be credited to the previous year, if earned in the 2 weeks following but there is no way to move them forward into the next year.

Not the news you wanted I appreciate, but it's never been permitted.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
No. Simply will not happen.

TP can be credited to the previous year, if earned in the 2 weeks following but there is no way to move them forward into the next year.

Not the news you wanted I appreciate, but it's never been permitted.
Thanks - good opportunity to fly SQ instead then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.