Search

Can I skip the last segment?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Can I skip the last segment?

Hi folks,

Looking at a return trip from Stockholm to Atlanta via LHR with BA/AA. Starting from ARN is considerably cheaper than LHR and I have friends in ARN and so can book a one way from LHR and spend a couple of days there before my trip to Atlanta. I can book a multi stop on the way back for the same price as a return with a two day stop in LHR before the final leg to ARN.

Q - Can I skip the last segment from LHR to ARN and will AA check my bag from Atlanta from LHR so that I pick it up there?

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:11 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Saint4805
Hi folks,

Looking at a return trip from Stockholm to Atlanta via LHR with BA/AA. Starting from ARN is considerably cheaper than LHR and I have friends in ARN and so can book a one way from LHR and spend a couple of days there before my trip to Atlanta. I can book a multi stop on the way back for the same price as a return with a two day stop in LHR before the final leg to ARN.

Q - Can I skip the last segment from LHR to ARN and will AA check my bag from Atlanta from LHR so that I pick it up there?

Thanks
people have different views on this but generally it is "ok" if not abused frequently...however, AA agents in the US have clearly had some memo about skiplagging (skipping the last leg) because they are much more unlikely to short check any luggage to a stop in the middle (sounds like LHR for you).

I had to debate this with an AA agent flying first SFO-JFK-LHR (27hr layover) - MAD once, because i wanted my bag overnight before flying on the next day (and only the first segment was AA!). So it depends what sort of agent you get, but from experience on the ground and asking the last few months...they make it increasingly difficult.
BA or bust and anniegray like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:13 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Hi folks,

Thanks
Methinks that you have answered your own question. If you have a 2 day stopover at LHR on the return you will have to collect your bags. After that if you don’t take the onward flight then it is unlikely (but not impossible) for there to be any comeback.
You might also want to think about a much longer layover (some weeks or many months) so you can go to ARN again. If so then you can nest the trip inside a return from LHR.

Edit to add: As VSLover has pointed out above… the shorter the stopover the more likely you will get an agent insisting you check you bag all the way through to ARN. IMHO for a 2 day that will not happen because you could argue it was unreasonable (no access to clothes etc.).
Saint4805, PETER01, SxMan and 1 others like this.

Last edited by BA or bust; Jan 21, 2024 at 9:23 am
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VSLover
people have different views on this but generally it is "ok" if not abused frequently...however, AA agents in the US have clearly had some memo about skiplagging (skipping the last leg) because they are much more unlikely to short check any luggage to a stop in the middle (sounds like LHR for you).

I had to debate this with an AA agent flying first SFO-JFK-LHR (27hr layover) - MAD once, because i wanted my bag overnight before flying on the next day (and only the first segment was AA!). So it depends what sort of agent you get, but from experience on the ground and asking the last few months...they make it increasingly difficult.
Thanks - not quite what I was hoping to hear. I haven't skipped a last leg in about ten years and so I'm definitely not a frequent skiplegger. The stopover in LHR would be 48 hours (I could even make it 72 hours) and I'd be disappointed if the agent refused to short check my bag given that I would genuinely need some items in my checked bag even if I did fly the last leg.

I might have a look at different dates to see if I can find something which is entirely with BA - hopefully BA agents in the US didn't get the same memo.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:24 am

The stopover in LHR would be 48 hours (I could even make it 72 hours) and I'd be disappointed if the agent refused to short check my bag given that I would genuinely need some items in my checked bag even if I did fly the last leg.
There is 0% chance your bag will be through checked to ARN on a 2-day stopover because it’s not even possible for them to do it. Your destination will be London and they will only check the bag to there. You won’t even have to have a conversation about it.

Anything over 24h is considered a stop rather than a connection so there is no issue.

Your plan is absolutely fine.
adrianlondon, nk15, AJNEDC and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:26 am

agree with the above about how you have a "legitimate" stopover for 48hrs. and as such, i dont think 48hr is a problem as there is supposedly a time limit for how long a stopover can be before they do not accept bags, i just do not know what that is but recall an AA agent saying 30hrs, but i also think they make stuff up a lot--however since i dont think they can even check you in/provide a boarding pass so far in advance for the last leg let alone tag the bag, i'd feel fine doing this.
PETER01 and Saint4805 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:35 am

Btw, have you checked what the maximum stop/trip length is permitted on your fare? If it’s long, you might want to actually book something further ahead on the chance that you might actually use it, rather than one that you definitely won’t?
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:35 am

FWIW i found some various posts in the AA forum and other posts from the other angle which is if a connection is 16.5hrs or less then they will thru check a bag, and if over that, they would not.

https://viewfromthewing.com/american...r-connections/

so i wish i had seen this before since its not clear the various aagents i've asked lately have perhaps been speaking nonsense.
Saint4805 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 4:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I have always used the last leg as some extra TP and if there is a round trip to the start point - in this instance ARN (a highly efficient airport IMO) - then we do it.I try not to return at the final point the same day as the return to London and sleep over at the ARN in this instance. I permit myself this as I am a free agent and not at the whim of Miss Sarah Snotte- Knowse and the holiday planning chart in some office. I did drop a last leg once upon a time heading DFW-EWR on CO. A one way in Y was $400+ and I found a round trip to Albany via EWR which round trip was $127 on the flight that I wanted and a return way out in the future. To add insult to injury I upgraded it with miles or points or whatever Continental had. No one said a word. However this practice is being hammered by AA these days so I read. I would not dare do that these days on BA on a regular basis
Old Jan 21, 2024, 5:16 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Instead of skipping the last leg – if that is frowned upon – is it not just possible simply to cancel it? Obviously not doing so until perhaps 24 hours before the flight. We all have changes of plans in our lives.😜
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SxMan
Instead of skipping the last leg – if that is frowned upon – is it not just possible simply to cancel it? Obviously not doing so until perhaps 24 hours before the flight. We all have changes of plans in our lives.😜
BA will be happy to reprice the ticket for you
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I would definitely NOT cancel it during the layover. They probably won't dun you for additional fare if all the prior segments have been flown but why flag it to them. People miss connections for a lot of reasons -- illness and death, bad traffic on the way back to the airport, getting drunk at the airport bar, going to the wrong gate, etc. You will be fine.
47Aitken, SxMan, AJNEDC and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Btw, have you checked what the maximum stop/trip length is permitted on your fare? If it’s long, you might want to actually book something further ahead on the chance that you might actually use it, rather than one that you definitely won’t?
I have not yet. I did attempt a nested trip with the final leg back to ARN being several weeks later but the fare shot up. I know a two day stopover in LHR was possible and will have a look to see if I can extend this.

Thanks all for the feedback. Think I am good to go (or skip) with a 48 hour stopover in LHR. Not planning to become a frequent legskipper as I'd prefer to avoid any airline naughty steps where possible.

Last edited by Saint4805; Jan 21, 2024 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:25 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Key point here is: a 10 day stopover in London will almost certainly cost the same as a 2 day stopover (once your stop is >24 hours you will be charged UK departure tax) and will eliminate any questions about over zealous AA agents checking the bag.

it’s also worth checking if a multi month stopover in London is the same price, as then there’s a chance that last leg might be useful at a later date. The ex-Europe fares often have very low change fees.

safe travels and enjoy Stockholm!
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've done it many times and it's never been an issue. If you're checking luggage, the key is to book the final leg the next day or from another airport (e.g. I often fly into LHR and then have my final leg from LCY or LGW so that they are forced to check my luggage to LHR).

Originally Posted by BA or bust
Edit to add: As VSLover has pointed out above… the shorter the stopover the more likely you will get an agent insisting you check you bag all the way through to ARN. IMHO for a 2 day that will not happen because you could argue it was unreasonable (no access to clothes etc.).
Hmm, I don't think it's so much about needing to argue what is reasonable. My experience is they simply won't check luggage to your final destination if there is an overnight gap. I often land into LHR in the late afternoon/evening and my final leg is early the next morning - and the check-in agents have always said something along the lines of "I am really sorry but you'll need to collect your luggage in LHR". Little do they know they are doing me a big favour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.