Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why has BA not resumed direct flights to Kuala Lumpur

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why has BA not resumed direct flights to Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Too much aircraft time. Too crew resource heavy - 2 local nights off, 4 pilots, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Do BA even have enough long haul aeroplanes to fly there given the 747 retirements haven't been fully replaced?
In a nutshell, no. The IAG capital markets day in 2019 foresaw IAG having the following longhaulers in 2022:
  • 34 A350s (split across airlines and I don't have the brains to see how they were intended to be split across OpCos)
  • 39 B787s of various types
  • 12 B744s, due all to go away by 2024
  • 12 A380s
  • 43 B77Es
  • 16 B77Ws
  • 8 B779s
Now, let's assume that all BA 350s are delivered, so the difference today actuals - 2019 estimate is 0.
As for the 787s, there are, right now, 12 B788, 18 789 and 4 781, with a fifth coming soon or already in, can't remember. Make it -4.
Then we've got -12 for the B744s.
All B77E and B77W are accounted for, so the difference is 0, ditto for the A380s.
The 779 are nowhere near being certified, let alone delivered, so -8.
So, -4-12-8 = -24. And this is assuming that all 350s scheduled are with us, which somehow I doubt.

Edited to add: according to Airfleets, BA has 13 A350s and IB 16 = 29. Therefore IAG as a company is 5 short; I don't know the split between BA and IB, but depending on where we have BA could be short of anything between 24 or 29 long haul aircraft.
ademanuele, etiene and MattHedges like this.

Last edited by 13901; Jan 31, 2023 at 9:34 am
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
BA have 13 x A350 in service with another 5 due over the next 12 months + another 7 x B781 to be delivered in the next 2yrs.

Pilot37
SW7London, 13901 and MattHedges like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
BA have 13 x A350 in service with another 5 due over the next 12 months + another 7 x B781 to be delivered in the next 2yrs.

Pilot37
Thanks. So all the 350s outstanding are due to BA, meaning -29 is indeed correct. By 2024, then, the airline will be -17 aircraft short vs where they wanted to be in 2022 as per the 2019 plans.
ademanuele and MattHedges like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Thanks to all for the data and stats. That is a shame. I like KL and other parts of Malaysia. Will have to go with another airline..............
MattHedges likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Thanks to all for the data and stats. That is a shame. I like KL and other parts of Malaysia. Will have to go with another airline..............

Another KL fan here too ! Lots of good quality options to get out there from UK.

If BA ever do revive a KUL service I personally would only consider it if Club Suites was a certainty. Meanwhile for anyone really keen to fly the flag, the solution surely is to fly direct to SIN and then just book the little hop across to KL with the likes of SQ, MH, or indeed one of the LCCs.
redpalmetto and Philippine333 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I flew direct with Malaysia Airlines August last year, great service but pricey in business. I'm going to KL for work again in a few weeks time, via Doha this time to shave a couple of k off the price. AFAIK Malaysia is the only airline with scheduled direct flights from the UK this year
subject2load and MattHedges like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Not being able to fly over Russian airspace will be a factor.
For LHR<->KUL route the restrictions on flying over Russia (and Ukraine) are probably not that significant as MH flights on this route seem to use only slightly more southern route compared to the most optimal great circle route that would go over Ukraine and Russia. The closed Russian airspace is bigger problem for flights between Europe and Japan, Korea and China as there you have to take a long detour to avoid Russian airspace.
skiaplg and etiene like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by subject2load
If BA ever do revive a KUL service I personally would only consider it if Club Suites was a certainty.
Hard to think that there'll be any CW frames around by the time KUL floats back to the top of the possible routes list - don't see it being a Gatwick route.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:23 pm

What you have to remember is BA are around 30-37 long haul aircraft less than pre-covid. The 787-10s are having to cover routes they werent planned for (such as SEA, PDX, DEN) and other fleets like 777/787/350 have been drafted to ex 747 routes. Until their fleet number increases or KL becomes more financially beneficial to BA we probably wont see a return to the likes of KUL/ICN/BKK until S24.
Philippine333 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by etiene
Hard to think that there'll be any CW frames around by the time KUL floats back to the top of the possible routes list - don't see it being a Gatwick route.
DEFINITELY not a gatwick route - but i hope they resume it soon. the connectivity in asia from ba is so limited atm
Old Jan 31, 2023, 10:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by SW7London
I'm still surprised BA serve SYD - surely there is better use of the frame and given the relatively low fares compared to locations a lot closer to London!
Have you seen what Qantas wants for the flight in Business and First? Last year that didn't even release the discount seats, in their attempt to boost the "revenue per average seat mile" presumably to buck up there finances vs capacity
SW7London likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by OpenSky
Have you seen what Qantas wants for the flight in Business and First? Last year that didn't even release the discount seats, in their attempt to boost the "revenue per average seat mile" presumably to buck up there finances vs capacity
No-one is saying SYD is cheap, but the route ties up three (or four?) frames and even more crew resources and probably isnt averaging that multiple of a US route on the fare side.
SW7London likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
BA has a finite number of airplanes, crews and so on - especially now that there are no 747s and the replacement 78Xs, 35Ks haven't fully arrived yet. In this frame of mind, the airline will prioritise flying to those destinations where the return on invested capital is the highest. And, right now, a route like Pittsburgh, or Cincinnati, yields more than one to Osaka, Bangkok or KL. Plus they're shorter, so the same plane can fly 'more' passengers in the same length of time.

Unless there's less demand to fly to minor US destinations, or a dramatically large number of planes, crews, slots and so on, I doubt that a lot of these routes will come back. Plus, obviously, the Siberia overflight ban is going to be a long-standing impact.
I know I'm months late, but you also have to keep in mind that as much as I'd want BA to resume routes to the East, Asia as a whole isn't (or was never) a priority for BA's entire route network. So you shouldn't expect a full return of these said routes in the foreseeable future.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Philippine333
Asia as a whole isn't (or was never) a priority for BA's entire route network.
Was there some importance historically for BA routes to the east? I suspect there was mainly because they had the lowest flight numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.