Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why has BA not resumed direct flights to Kuala Lumpur

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:13 am
Original Poster

It's been 2 years since COVID and MYS has also opened its borders and restrictions lifted. When is BA going to resume direct flights. What is the hold up? Was the sector not profitable?
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:18 am

Programs: IB Platinum, TAP Gold, HH Diamond, Accor LL Gold
Less and less focus on the SEA region because of competitors from the Gulf, same goes for Bangkok. I guess their Singapore route only holds up because of its connecting flight to Sydney.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I don't think it was a hugely profitable route.... why serve KUL when you can serve yet another US city ?! cough Cincinnati cough
JTXC, becks1, Coffeemadman and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Not being able to fly over Russian airspace will be a factor.
Obruni Boy and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:36 am

I'm still surprised BA serve SYD - surely there is better use of the frame and given the relatively low fares compared to locations a lot closer to London!
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
I guess it takes two planes to operate a daily service that they'd rather use elsewhere. It's also a route covered by 2 x daily MH services, plus 1 stop options from several UK ports with CX or QR so perhaps the market just isn't there for BA to fight with. If it came back I'd probably fly it, but only paying avios & 2-4-1..
stewaran, becks1, bisonrav and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:46 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Originally Posted by SW7London
I'm still surprised BA serve SYD - surely there is better use of the frame and given the relatively low fares compared to locations a lot closer to London!
I can't see anything less than £5500 return to Sydney all year, which doesn't seem particularly low compared to other locations. Where were you referring to?

Given their sending a 777 with 76J and 8F seats to Sydney every day, with apparently full cabins they must be doing something correctly. If this is short term pent up demand still or something longer remains to be seen.
flygirl68 and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SW7London
Relatively low fares are not on that route this year !
flygirl68, argonath and Rim1 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Colesmore
If this is short term pent up demand still or something longer remains to be seen.
Given that fares out of Australia are actually lower than out of London at the moment, for the first time ever, and lots of non OneWorld airlines are starting to offer deals from elsewhere in Europe, if not yet the UK, I suspect it's a short-term factor that everyone has factored into their longer-term expectations, if that makes sense, but I do wonder if there are signs of collapsing fares.

I'm not saying we'll ever see £1,800 Europe-Sydney business class fares again, but that we might get closer to their inflation-adjusted equivalents vs. five years ago.
SW7London, stewaran and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I can't really see this. With 2 MH flights a day and Singapore well served and "as good as", I don't think this will be high on the priority list as a Far East Route.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:07 am

People forget that KUL was a relatively new re-addition to the longhaul network, so even back when it re-started it was pretty low on the list.

I can only see BKK, KUL, ICN etc re-start when BA have the frames and they can fly over Russia again.
Dan72, irishguy28 and JTXC like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MattHedges
When is BA going to resume direct flights. What is the hold up?
My understanding is that when BA decided to axe the KUL route, this was intended as a permanent decision, so I don't think that they were intending to reopen it any time soon, and if they ever do, that will effectively be a new route decision.
MattHedges likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Silver
There was an article in November 2021 in the Telegraph interviewing Sean Doyle and it spoke about Kuala Lumpur and other destinations citing they are "merely" suspended and wants BA to start growing its network again. This included Osaka, Abu Dhabi, Seoul and many more. Alas Bangkok wasn't mentioned. There also wasn't a date specified.

Here is the article if anyone cares to read:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...ck-golden-age/
ademanuele, JTXC and MattHedges like this.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:32 am

BA has a finite number of airplanes, crews and so on - especially now that there are no 747s and the replacement 78Xs, 35Ks haven't fully arrived yet. In this frame of mind, the airline will prioritise flying to those destinations where the return on invested capital is the highest. And, right now, a route like Pittsburgh, or Cincinnati, yields more than one to Osaka, Bangkok or KL. Plus they're shorter, so the same plane can fly 'more' passengers in the same length of time.

Unless there's less demand to fly to minor US destinations, or a dramatically large number of planes, crews, slots and so on, I doubt that a lot of these routes will come back. Plus, obviously, the Siberia overflight ban is going to be a long-standing impact.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Do BA even have enough long haul aeroplanes to fly there given the 747 retirements haven't been fully replaced?
ademanuele and Philippine333 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.