Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 B concourse B Flooded

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: SKD, *A Gold
Originally Posted by sydtogla
Hello from 2.5h delayed BA269 (LHR-LAX). Concourse B flooded and the train broke and now anyone going beyond Europe has had to walk a mile and have their flight delayed. I’m likely to be a day late as I’m connecting to SYD and there is one per day there (do I get EC261?).

anyone else been caught short by the closure of a concourse?
I don't think EC261 is applicable here. You are not on an EU carrier, and none of your flights touch ground in EU.

Last edited by nanneboy; Jan 25, 2023 at 10:52 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nanneboy
I don't think EC261 is applicable here. You are not on an EU carrier, and none of your flights touch ground in EU.
EC261 has been incorporated into UK law (and has been for a decade incidentally) so yes it is within scope. The effect of UK law was to basically add "UK" whereever "EU" was mentioned. The transit not working won't be in scope, and they sometimes try to suggest the tow delay too, but so long as the OP can attributed sufficient delay to BA's own management of the flight to make the connection unviable then there is a potentially valid claim.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: BA GGL
"UK261", aka EU261 as retained and amended in UK law, does however apply.

For all practical intents and purposes this is virtually the same as EU261 - for now. The government has made noises about weakening UK261 and if the Retained EU Law Bill passes, it might have to be revisited. New ECJ precedents since 2021 are also no longer binding, although they remain highly influential.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: SKD, *A Gold
Apologies for my ignorance.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Apologies for my ignorance.
We are all here to learn.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flarmip
and if the Retained EU Law Bill passes, it might have to be revisited.
EC261 is out of scope for that draft Bill. If it was to be revisited a separate Bill would need to be brought before Parliament since unlike the generality of Retained EU law, this has already been referred to in Primary Legislation.
Kgmm77, KARFA and flarmip like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Transit still not running this evening. There has been just been an announcement in GF asking passengers to allow extra time to get to B and C gates
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by MarcD
Transit still not running this evening. There has been just been an announcement in GF asking passengers to allow extra time to get to B and C gates
It went down after 1800 today.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:41 pm

Fair smackering of delays and the odd cancellation just now at T5.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:13 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
The mail in the coffin for this delay was finding a fourth pilot to cover the out of hours. The airline should have foreseen this hours before rather than leaving us on board for a further 1h and 15 mins before wheels up. I enquired with QF at the gate and BA still had an ETA of 2000 so the additional pilot time is material given we landed at 2119. I think my claim can be easily fought for this one.

FWIW the delay has been great. We went to Disneyland today and the technically 2 night delay (late check out) brought us $250 in meal vouchers. Breakfast buffet for 3 was 90 though!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.