T5 B concourse B Flooded

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:19 am
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
T5 B concourse B Flooded

Hello from 2.5h delayed BA269 (LHR-LAX). Concourse B flooded and the train broke and now anyone going beyond Europe has had to walk a mile and have their flight delayed. I’m likely to be a day late as I’m connecting to SYD and there is one per day there (do I get EC261?).

anyone else been caught short by the closure of a concourse?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It’s usually only the kitchens which flood…. ! This sounds like it will be problematic for the late evening long hauls

Is the SYD flight the same ticket?
becks1 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not quite clear what’s happened here, are you saying the whole of T5B isn’t being used or that the transit isn’t working? 269 is an A380 and would go from C usually anyway rather than B.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA269 has just (18:48) left from C62. I'm guessing the transit is out of service due to flooding - the distance from A to C is 750 metres, so a bit under half a mile.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Transit was down from 1200-1620 to deal with an overnight water leak
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
BA269 currently expected to land at LAX just before 2130 local time. QF12 to SYD is due to depart at 2230 and AA73 at 2249.

So a successful connection seems fairly unlikely. But presumably BA would say no to compensation if the delay was due to a HAL issue.
AL and corporate-wage-slave like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I'd stick a claim in. Having alternatives such as A10 available is a reasonable precaution that could have mitigated the delay.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
BA269 currently expected to land at LAX just before 2130 local time. QF12 to SYD is due to depart at 2230 and AA73 at 2249.

So a successful connection seems fairly unlikely. But presumably BA would say no to compensation if the delay was due to a HAL issue.
I was on a BA281 LHR-LAX flight, which landed late last week. I had less than an hour to make my connecting AA flight from T4. I was greeted by a BA rep on the stairs and handed an express connection orange paper thing. Thru passport in under a minute, but then waited for at least 30 minutes for my luggage. Rechecked, ran outside to change terminals, through a painfully slow security scan, and still made my flight, albeit rather sweaty!
becks1 and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:14 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Is the SYD flight the same ticket?
Slightly off-topic but flights to go "the wrong way" to Australia via USA don't show up for me on any of the searches. Options via the US come up straightaway when you search for flights from London to NZ, but to Aus it seems you are forced to fly routes via Eurasia only if you want in on a single ticket?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
Slightly off-topic but flights to go "the wrong way" to Australia via USA don't show up for me on any of the searches. Options via the US come up straightaway when you search for flights from London to NZ, but to Aus it seems you are forced to fly routes via Eurasia only if you want in on a single ticket?
Are you searching via BA or via Google Flights? Google Flights shows options with connections in IAH, LAX, etc...
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:56 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Having to walk 750m shouldnt cause a multi hour delay.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
It easily can when you consider how many pax on a large long-haul aircraft are PRM, have kids/buggies etc.

I took a 2 hour delay in December on a LHR-ORD from the C pier because the transit train system shut down for some problem or other. While the walking distance for fit, able-bodied pax isn't an issue, you have to factor in the total chaos of several thousand pax who had already been patiently waiting on the train concourse level before an announcement was made, all of whom then have to funnel down stairs/lifts to the lower level then up he other side PLUS hundreds of people in wheelchairs or walking with sticks, children, giant bags etc, many of whom could not see lifts existed due to the sheer volume of the crowd. I saw two Heathrow workers carrying a wheelcair with a person in it down the stairs, which indicates the (asbence of) of training and common sense on display when things start to go wrong. The boarding took so long that we missed our slot.

Needless to say BA blamed LHR and LHR didn't give a ......
simonsmith likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:25 am
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
The walk wasn’t so bad (or a full mile). Some older folk did struggle though. As pointed out above the flood caused the train to stop but A10 was also an option. Pilot said our problem was a litany of issues: delay in towing the frame from engineering, 40m planned delay because of the trains and then one pilot was over time so we needed to wait for a 4th. Crew in J did a great job and my daughter (3) slept for a solid 8 hours.

There were 5-6 groups connecting to QF12 and despite it being delayed we didn’t make it. Almost certainly lodging EC261 but also very well looked after. Was in my hotel within an hour and now have a full day to enjoy LA before heading tonight.
YacozA and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
It easily can when you consider how many pax on a large long-haul aircraft are PRM, have kids/buggies etc.

I took a 2 hour delay in December on a LHR-ORD from the C pier because the transit train system shut down for some problem or other. While the walking distance for fit, able-bodied pax isn't an issue, you have to factor in the total chaos of several thousand pax who had already been patiently waiting on the train concourse level before an announcement was made, all of whom then have to funnel down stairs/lifts to the lower level then up he other side PLUS hundreds of people in wheelchairs or walking with sticks, children, giant bags etc, many of whom could not see lifts existed due to the sheer volume of the crowd. I saw two Heathrow workers carrying a wheelcair with a person in it down the stairs, which indicates the (asbence of) of training and common sense on display when things start to go wrong. The boarding took so long that we missed our slot.

Needless to say BA blamed LHR and LHR didn't give a ......
it was out half the day, so people could have been told hours in advance/at checkin.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
What?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.