Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA281 - LHR-LAX - delayed as not enough meals loaded.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA281 - LHR-LAX - delayed as not enough meals loaded.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:20 am

Well they certainly cant use passengers booking with less than 6 hours to departure as the excuse this time.

Fear not, Ive walked into an aircraft and found it hasnt been cleaned and still had the inbound catering loaded within the past couple of months, so much for that on time departure.
SW7London, AJA_ and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
I had a 30 mins or delay on Saturday at LHR waiting to fly to SOF, as they’d somehow loaded the catering for the AMS flight, so we had to wait for them to unload/reload !
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by skipness1E
It also shows that shrugging one's shoulders and accepting this is becoming endemic here. The NHS is failing, the unions are on strike and it all feels very managed decline and 1970s once more. Perhaps we're heading for another "Thatcher" type reset, or a Lord King will come along and give the business a well needed shake up. But a lot of this is poor management.
Bit of a leap. My point was rather that unless there is some systemic reason why BA consistently fails to load meals (and reading some of the replies above, there may be), there's precious little point in getting worked up about it. Delivery trucks breakdown, people misread the order, pick up the wrong trolley - it happens. I've been known not to be perfect myself.
PETER01, nancypants, ExAbz and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:04 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Bit of a leap. My point was rather that unless there is some systemic reason why BA consistently fails to load meals (and reading some of the replies above, there may be), there's precious little point in getting worked up about it. Delivery trucks breakdown, people misread the order, pick up the wrong trolley - it happens. I've been known not to be perfect myself.
pretty basic stuff to get right - catering
skipness1E, ermis177 and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not that fussed about airline food no matter what cabin I'm in. However I'd rather the flight be delayed than have to do without on such a long flight.

The pandemic has caused problems in all areas so I'd tend to forgive and forget.
BearX220 and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by SxMan
pretty basic stuff to get right - catering
If you feel like that, you've obviously got every right to get annoyed by it. Just don't disturb my calm book reading in the next row!
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by LondonAussie
I'm with you, and often decline to eat onboard, but I was shouted down the last time I dared mention that point of view on this forum!

I think there have been flights where a decision was made to depart on-time instead of wait for catering to be loaded, but that was when they knew in advance catering would be delayed or unavailable and people were notified at check-in and given vouchers to buy food in the terminal.
Before the stupid liquids rule, id cook up and chill a cold salmon meal with hollandaise to eat instead of the in flight meal. I would love to be able to take whatever I wanted on board to eat again.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:49 pm

Well its hardly surprising - the UK is an absolute shambles in plenty of sectors!

Last edited by ChateauneufDuPape; Jan 16, 2023 at 3:30 pm
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm not that fussed about airline food no matter what cabin I'm in. However I'd rather the flight be delayed than have to do without on such a long flight.

The pandemic has caused problems in all areas so I'd tend to forgive and forget.
And the pandemic is being used as an excuse not to meet previously attainable standards. It's a "that'll do, what exactly WERE you expecting?" thinking. The pandemic is now behind us, the impact on the economy will be with us for years. There actually is something to be said for the view of firing the worst 5% of managers annually to keep the rest sharp.
ermis177, nancypants and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 1:47 pm

But a lot of this is poor management.
Indeed, many managers at BA and other organisations have been found waning given the supply of plentiful labour and cheap money is no more.

They actually have to make hard decisions, define solutions and manage which appears beyond many of our professional managerial class in both the public and private sectors.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 13901
Do&Co has been having lots of problems, exacerbated by the return to full catering. The issue is, as with most employers dealing with the fallout of the B-word, staff or lack thereof.
You just had to do it, didn't you?
passy777, skipness1E and SamYeager like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:52 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
Quite right to raise it too! It is very real in many sectors as I posted last week. Did you fall for the lies then?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And the pandemic is being used as an excuse not to meet previously attainable standards. It's a "that'll do, what exactly WERE you expecting?" thinking. The pandemic is now behind us, the impact on the economy will be with us for years. There actually is something to be said for the view of firing the worst 5% of managers annually to keep the rest sharp.
Other European airlines have been affected severely by the pandemic as well.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Same happened to me on BA287 a few months ago, or at least it was described as some sore of catering issue. Caused about an 45 minute delay in boarding.

Momentarily thought about heading back to the T5B lounge since they didn't provide a precise estimate on when boarding would start, but decided to hang around T5C as I didn't want to stress out about missing the flight.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
I'm sorry if this offends you, but as I sit in my rather cold office on the Bath road, with a half-decent view of the northern runway, I'm acutely aware that in my company we're short of 5x engineers as the 5 we had before Covid returned to their home countries and we can't hire from Europe. I know of a caterer (not used by BA) that has about a 30% vacancy rate, can't retain UK staff even if they pay more than the London living wage and are struggling incredibly hard to hire overseas thanks to a very sluggish Home Office process. I know of handlers in the same situation. I know HAL is short of security staff, I know BA Engineering is short of Engineers as plenty in the 50-60 age bracket took early retirement during Covid and the attrition rate among apprentices is simply staggering (something echoed by various MROs, and they all pay decent wages for a starter) and last but not least I heard the Fire Brigade was having trouble too, but that's second-hand news.

Covid undoubtedly exacerbated the problem, but the end of freedom of movement, and the fact that CAA and EASA are no longer aligned, are self-inflicted wounds caused by Brexit. The air transport industry raised these concerns since 2016, they were thoroughly ignored and continue to be so. We are reaping what we've sowed and, to be fair, I don't see this changing at any time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.